Choosing between the ATH ESW-9 and the Ultrasone PRO 750
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
I know the ESW9 is on ear and much smaller, but since they're in the same price range I figured they'd both be viable options as portable headphones. Which would you guys recommend? Is the ESW9's bass really that powerful and boomy? I've heard some people compare it to Beats which sounds ridiculous. I'm not a fan of overpowering bass or much bass at all, only to add some warmth to music.

I was also considering the HD-25-1-IIs but I'm not sure what exactly their sound signature will be like. From impressions it sounds like it's mainly analytical and cold which I'd rather avoid for portable use.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I'll be using a Cowon J3 without an amping. I mainly listen to classical rock and acoustic/folk rock though I do like to listen to some orchestral (not necessarily classical) or acoustic guitar recordings from time to time. Sometimes I listen to a little hip-hop but it's usually vocal heavy stuff.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Wow, such different sound signatures in your two choices.  I second the ESW9 recommendation if you like a sweet, well balanced and musical phone.   It does well with all genres, plays well without amplification (but will go to 11 with a good amp), and gets style points for being one of the classiest headphones around.  Much more durable than it looks at first glance, too.  ESW9 is more refined sounding than the HD-25 but doesn't give up anything in the impact department.  I do like the HD-25's very much and own them in addition to the ESW9's.  The DT1350's are my favorite headphone in this class, so give them a listen if you get the chance.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Powerful and boomy ? It has impact, but we arent talking 'sledgehammer bass' - I really think these cans are very misunderstood. If I had to nominate cans which are 'boomy', I would nominate the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro.

If you need something to help you decide, it should be comfort - unless you can find the ideal position, chances are the ESW9 will sit on top of your upper ear, even with the headband adjusted to cut down on clamping force, and personally I find that annoying after about 30 or so minutes. Others report no particular problem in this area, so it may come down to whether or not you have a large yet decidedly attractive head like mine.  
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Wow, such different sound signatures in your two choices.  I second the ESW9 recommendation if you like a sweet, well balanced and musical phone.   It does well with all genres, plays well without amplification (but will go to 11 with a good amp), and gets style points for being one of the classiest headphones around.  Much more durable than it looks at first glance, too.  ESW9 is more refined sounding than the HD-25 but doesn't give up anything in the impact department.  I do like the HD-25's very much and own them in addition to the ESW9's.  The DT1350's are my favorite headphone in this class, so give them a listen if you get the chance.

If only listening to them were so easy :frowning2:

Anyone know any specialty shops in Piscataway/New  Brunswick, NJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back