Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #676 of 7,153
My next purchase will probably be the he400i because I really want to hear the planar sound, I don't know if the TH-500RP would be a better purchase.

I think that I'm done with AKG because they charge too much for their pads.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #679 of 7,153

You're asking interesting questions that point up the gap between sub-$100 inexpensive/affordable headphones (like most described here)--vs the $250 to $500 range where designs diverge and things get more interesting.

The Fidelio X2's definitely fall in that camp. I have them/love them. They are definitely "fun," with a warm, listenable sound signature that many on H.F. have praised. But compared to any AKG, they have very little in common sound-wise or in basic design. The X2's favor bass, warmth and euphonic sound presentation (w/excellent soundstaging; they're open back), and make no attempt to scale the heights of resolution. AKGs are the exact opposite: most of them favor upper midrange & treble; lots of detail; much less bass; emphasis on resolution + good soundstaging.

The punchline of this joke is you really should know what sound signature is best for you. For example, the B8's have been discussed a lot here: they have beryllium drivers and are cable of considerable upper midrange and treble volume/resolution. Some love that sound; others run from it.

Here's a suggestion, a headphone I was very interested in until I got a different planar (ZMF Ori)--the Fostex TH500RP.

http://headfonics.com/2015/09/the-th500rp-by-fostex/

https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-TH-500RP-Premium-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00O86D2HK

You can get it new for $400, or used for ~$300 (but they don't come used that often). These are said to fall in the "friendly/euphonic" sound camp, but apparently w/more finesse & basic resolution than some of the inexpensive designs.

It's all about knowing what you really want, then finding it at the price point/design sophistication that's best for you.

Woooo, my questions are interesting *airpunch* :)

I basically comes down to that I don't have enough experience to know what I like, especially not in these pricebrackets. I do very much enjoy picking out details from songs, but I don't think I can say no to a bit more junk in the trunk (bass).

Those Fostex are sadly well and truly out of my pricerange, I'm in the EU, and the cheapest I just saw it at was 649 euro's, so add a few tenners for USD, but even at 400 it's out of my range.

I just pulled the trigger on the X2's at around 190 USD, which at the moment is a pretty good deal compared to stores here. We'll see where this adventure takes me, very much looking forward to comparing with my current headphones. (Shame there's nowhere to testdrive headphones anywhere near me.)

LMTMFA. Yes, the 250hm one. I'm going out of memory because the DT990 are in a box right now, the trebles were more ear-piercing (i'm treble sensitive, I use the K701 only with particular genres because of that and it's still painful) so they were worse for me.

I don't know if there's some secret pair that can compete with 300-500 known products, if there is I want it. I've only bought two chinese headphones (B8 for 80€, LyxPro for 49€) and I'm very happy with both of them.

That treble does sound very unattractive to me as well.

Pretty much just have to keep paying attention in threads like these then. :)

I might pick up a B8 just for the hell of it down the line, kinda depends on how the X2's will suit me.

Thanks much to you both for taking the time to reply.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #680 of 7,153
Anyone with the bosshifi b8.. the post on amazon.com (US) does not state beryllium driver.. Also Is it just plugged in to 1 earcup, 3.5mm? I.e. if needed, could I use my V-Moda boom pro mic?

https://www.amazon.com/B8-Powerful-Dynamic-Armature-Headphone/dp/B01HZ7QDBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487375328&sr=8-1&keywords=bosshifi+b8

edit: I missed the whole purpose of my first sentence, is that the right item WITH the right drivers? (I also asked on the post and maybe the seller can also advise if you are unsure)

Edit 2:  Kinden on amazon US states beryllium, would these be a safer bet?.. https://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Music-Headset-Professional/dp/B01L75I5N0/ref=pd_sbs_200_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5XMENG949QKB9DAHYZ30

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #682 of 7,153
Anyone with the bosshifi b8.. the post on amazon.com (US) does not state beryllium driver.. Also Is it just plugged in to 1 earcup, 3.5mm? I.e. if needed, could I use my V-Moda boom pro mic?

https://www.amazon.com/B8-Powerful-Dynamic-Armature-Headphone/dp/B01HZ7QDBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487375328&sr=8-1&keywords=bosshifi+b8

edit: I missed the whole purpose of my first sentence, is that the right item WITH the right drivers? (I also asked on the post and maybe the seller can also advise if you are unsure)

Edit 2:  Kinden on amazon US states beryllium, would these be a safer bet?.. https://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Music-Headset-Professional/dp/B01L75I5N0/ref=pd_sbs_200_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5XMENG949QKB9DAHYZ30

Yes it is single side 3.5mm

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #683 of 7,153

Woooo, my questions are interesting *airpunch* :)

I basically comes down to that I don't have enough experience to know what I like, especially not in these pricebrackets. I do very much enjoy picking out details from songs, but I don't think I can say no to a bit more junk in the trunk (bass).

Those Fostex are sadly well and truly out of my pricerange, I'm in the EU, and the cheapest I just saw it at was 649 euro's, so add a few tenners for USD, but even at 400 it's out of my range.

I just pulled the trigger on the X2's at around 190 USD, which at the moment is a pretty good deal compared to stores here. We'll see where this adventure takes me, very much looking forward to comparing with my current headphones. (Shame there's nowhere to testdrive headphones anywhere near me.)

That treble does sound very unattractive to me as well.

Pretty much just have to keep paying attention in threads like these then. :)

I might pick up a B8 just for the hell of it down the line, kinda depends on how the X2's will suit me.

Thanks much to you both for taking the time to reply.

The X2's are a lot of headphone for the money (and BTW, you got an excellent price @$190!). Built like a Sherman tank; big/comfortable velour pads; the spacious soundstaging that comes w/an open back design; and a somwewhat bassy, euphonic frequency balance.

Sound appreciation is 100% subjective, so take this w/a grain of salt--IMO, there's a good chance you'll like the X2's. When I first heard them, it was instantly relaxing, enjoyable, engrossing...familiar music sounded a lot more musical than it had on other headphones. The X2's were my first real step up in headphone quality. After that I got a killer amp which (because the X2's have pretty good resolution) I could easily hear was far better than what I'd been using. .

Eventually, I got a couple more amps, plus several inexpensive closed back headphones often mentioned here (Marantz MPH-2's; Yenona's)--all are quite satisfying in their own ways. No matter what, the X2's still sound pretty fine to me.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #685 of 7,153
  Hi guys, new poster.

I'm interested in the BossHiFi B8's that have been around these threads a few times now, mostly people seem to think of them favorably, but what's not exactly clear to me about these and other headphones in this class, is if these actually punch well above their pricerange, or if they are just pretty good for the price.

For example (setting pricedifference and specific soundpreference aside for a quick second), would getting an AKG 7XX from MassDrop, or a good deal on a Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (wired usage) or Philips Fidelio X2 get me a better quality experience than a good Chinese headphone, or would a well-picked Chinese headphone deliver an experience of similar quality?

I currently have and enjoy a Jaycar Pro Monitor (one of many HM5 / FA-003 clones), an Audio Technica ATHWS99 and Xiaomi Piston 2 and 3 (prefer the 3, but am looking for an over-ear headphone anyway, just mentioning for audio type).

Just looking for the next level up I suppose. :)

I had the 7xx, sold them a few weeks ago and picked up the Philips SHP9500S. More than half the price, sacrifice some midrange and clarity but you get a bit more bass making it sound more full. I also like the soundstage depth more. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #687 of 7,153
First of all Pharmaboy, thanks for actively posting and finding different clones and versions of the isk mdh9000, I have been closely following your posts and this thread for a month now.
I'm sort of a little dilemma and need some recommendation here; I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones that I can listen to music when traveling, at home and occasionally at work (but we have a pair of on-ear Plantronics bluetooth headsets), I listen to a variety of genres (pop, techno/trance, basically anything that has some beats, but mainly pop), I do care about isolation but I am more keen on comfort and sound. I don't like too much bass. And if it matters, removable cables would be nice but not a deal breaker, like I said I care more for sound and comfort than the extra features. So far I have found these as my options:

- Status Audio CB-1
- Audio Technica M40x (I was planning to get m50x for a while, but because they are bass and muddy, I'm not interested in them. A lot of people prefer the m40x over the m50s anyways)
- AKG K553 Pro
- Sony MDR-7506 (have previously owned a pair but it's been a while so I honestly can't remember the sound signature, all I know is they were very comfy and portable - minus the coiled cables lol)

Sorry my budget is Canadian $100-120. So far I'm leaning more towards the Status CB-1s since the audio (as other reviewers and Pharmaboy also spoke highly about them), they are foldable, so portable and most of all since they are super comfortable.
Massdrop has a promo on the AKG K553 Pros for $120 and then shipping, but I've been thinking, if I go for the m40x or the AKGs I'll be looking to change out the pads which may or may not change the sound quality and the CB1s already come with great angled pads and are comfortable so the value here is unbeatable. Amazon has the CB1s for $90 and I'm a prime member so free shipping. M40x are about $150 in Canada, if we get a sale maybe they go towards $110-120 and then looking at the pads, overall cost increases, same with the AKGs so technically the CB-1s are clear winners.

I have also looked at others mentioned here, like the Marantz or LyxPro or Yenona as well, but converting them to CAD from USD and the amount of time it gets to get em from AliExpress or another Chinese vendor (to Canada... ) I'ts better to just buy the CB-1s. Only con I see here for the Status audios are the build quality, plastic but like Pharmaboy said not in a bad way, but both AKG and Audio Technicas are built way better.

Anyone has any other suggestions that I mentioned, please let em know

edit: forgot to mention, I'll be driving them with my LG G5 smartphone, a PC at home with good on-board audio (laptop at work) and maybe an ipod classic

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #688 of 7,153
  First of all Pharmaboy, thanks for actively posting and finding different clones and versions of the isk mdh9000, I have been closely following your posts and this thread for a month now.
I'm sort of a little dilemma and need some recommendation here; I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones that I can listen to music when traveling, at home and occasionally at work (but we have a pair of on-ear Plantronics bluetooth headsets), I listen to a variety of genres (pop, techno/trance, basically anything that has some beats, but mainly pop), I do care about isolation but I am more keen on comfort and sound. I don't like too much bass. And if it matters, removable cables would be nice but not a deal breaker, like I said I care more for sound and comfort than the extra features. So far I have found these as my options:

- Status Audio CB-1
- Audio Technica M40x (I was planning to get m50x for a while, but because they are bass and muddy, I'm not interested in them. A lot of people prefer the m40x over the m50s anyways)
- AKG K553 Pro
- Sony MDR-7506 (have previously owned a pair but it's been a while so I honestly can't remember the sound signature, all I know is they were very comfy and portable - minus the coiled cables lol)

Sorry my budget is Canadian $100-120. So far I'm leaning more towards the Status CB-1s since the audio (as other reviewers and Pharmaboy also spoke highly about them), they are foldable, so portable and most of all since they are super comfortable.
Massdrop has a promo on the AKG K553 Pros for $120 and then shipping, but I've been thinking, if I go for the m40x or the AKGs I'll be looking to change out the pads which may or may not change the sound quality and the CB1s already come with great angled pads and are comfortable so the value here is unbeatable. Amazon has the CB1s for $90 and I'm a prime member so free shipping. M40x are about $150 in Canada, if we get a sale maybe they go towards $110-120 and then looking at the pads, overall cost increases, same with the AKGs so technically the CB-1s are clear winners.

I have also looked at others mentioned here, like the Marantz or LyxPro or Yenona as well, but converting them to CAD from USD and the amount of time it gets to get em from AliExpress or another Chinese vendor (to Canada... ) I'ts better to just buy the CB-1s. Only con I see here for the Status audios are the build quality, plastic but like Pharmaboy said not in a bad way, but both AKG and Audio Technicas are built way better.

edit: forgot to mention, I'll be driving them with my LG G5 smartphone, a PC at home with good on-board audio (laptop at work) and maybe an ipod classic

Well, I have the Yenona's & Marantz MPH-2's and CB-1's; and owned a pair of AKG 553's (though I've never heard any AT headphones). So I can speak to at least some of your concerns.

First, the AKG 553's. These are physically the largest of these 4 headphones, particularly the earcups, which seem larger in diameter than any of the others to me. I can't remember if the cable was detachable or not. The AKG's were my first headphone, and I never was able to like them. Without EQ, they sounded bright and bass-shy to me. EQ helped, but it still wasn't good enough. Now, to be fair, I got all my current HP amps except 1 (FiiO E10K) after selling the AKG's, so it's possible they'd sound better on my more recent, higher quality amps.

The Yenona's are very light and comfortable, probably pretty good for portable use. The cable is detachable & easily upgraded. But...they might be too bassy for you.

The Marantz MPH-2's (which sound identical to other ISK-MDH9000 clones, incl. the LyxPro HAS-30's, which I had, then gave as a gift)--are moderate in weight, not especially heavy; probably relatively portable. They have a detachable cable. This my favorite inexpensive closed back HP at the moment--but again, you might find them a little bassy. I personally do not find them to have notably elevated bass. I really like the quality/impact of the bass, not just quantity of it, and find it is completely in balance w/the mids & treble. Great headphones, really.

As for the CB-1's, I have them F.S. only because they are so close to the Marantz' in sound quality that, once I burned them in and auditioned them thoroughly, it made little sense to hang onto them at a time when my headphone headcount was getting out of control. They sound very good, are rather light/portable, and have a detachable cable. And despite what some reviewers said, I find them to be relatively good looking. These should be good for portable use.

As for build quality, the AKGs are built somewhat more strongly than the others, but if anything, their comfort is a little less: there isn't much padding on inside of headband; and the those wide circular earcups have relatively shallow pads, so your ears may touch the drivers. And unlike all the other headphones mentioned here, you can't easily upgrade the earpads should you feel like doing that. Of the others, I think the Marantz' are quite sturdy, and the Yenona's & CB-1's slightly less so. But really, they're all pretty fine IMO. I really don't see notable weak point in the construction of any of these headphones. If you use them with just a little common sense (no slamming them into things; don't stretch the headband violently in direction opposite to its curve; etc), they should be fine.

All things considered, the CB-1's probably are the best choice for you.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #689 of 7,153

- Status Audio CB-1
- AKG K553 Pro

Forgot to say...you're welcome!

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #690 of 7,153

Well, I have the Yenona's & Marantz MPH-2's and CB-1's; and owned a pair of AKG 553's (though I've never heard any AT headphones). So I can speak to at least some of your concerns.

First, the AKG 553's. These are physically the largest of these 4 headphones, particularly the earcups, which seem larger in diameter than any of the others to me. I can't remember if the cable was detachable or not. The AKG's were my first headphone, and I never was able to like them. Without EQ, they sounded bright and bass-shy to me. EQ helped, but it still wasn't good enough. Now, to be fair, I got all my current HP amps except 1 (FiiO E10K) after selling the AKG's, so it's possible they'd sound better on my more recent, higher quality amps.

The Yenona's are very light and comfortable, probably pretty good for portable use. The cable is detachable & easily upgraded. But...they might be too bassy for you.

The Marantz MPH-2's (which sound identical to other ISK-MDH9000 clones, incl. the LyxPro HAS-30's, which I had, then gave as a gift)--are moderate in weight, not especially heavy; probably relatively portable. They have a detachable cable. This my favorite inexpensive closed back HP at the moment--but again, you might find them a little bassy. I personally do not find them to have notably elevated bass. I really like the quality/impact of the bass, not just quantity of it, and find it is completely in balance w/the mids & treble. Great headphones, really.

As for the CB-1's, I have them F.S. only because they are so close to the Marantz' in sound quality that, once I burned them in and auditioned them thoroughly, it made little sense to hang onto them at a time when my headphone headcount was getting out of control. They sound very good, are rather light/portable, and have a detachable cable. And despite what some reviewers said, I find them to be relatively good looking. These should be good for portable use.

As for build quality, the AKGs are built somewhat more strongly than the others, but if anything, their comfort is a little less: there isn't much padding on inside of headband; and the those wide circular earcups have relatively shallow pads, so your ears may touch the drivers. And unlike all the other headphones mentioned here, you can't easily upgrade the earpads should you feel like doing that. Of the others, I think the Marantz' are quite sturdy, and the Yenona's & CB-1's slightly less so. But really, they're all pretty fine IMO. I really don't see notable weak point in the construction of any of these headphones. If you use them with just a little common sense (no slamming them into things; don't stretch the headband violently in direction opposite to its curve; etc), they should be fine.

All things considered, the CB-1's probably are the best choice for you.

Aah hey Pharmaboy :) The AKGs don't have a removable cable, and comes with a fairly long one so that would be an issue. And you are absolutely bang on, they look and are pretty big so changing the pads would be difficult; in fact I was just watching a Z-Reviews video who couldn't find a pair of pads that could fit them or at least didn't have one on hand, he has a lot of pads so that speaks for itself.

Marantz is more expensive than Status Audio phones in Canada by about $30-40. I found the ISKs on aliexpress for US$56 that's about $73 per XE.com so that's not a bad price. LyxPro on Amazon CA is approx $120.
So as it sounds like the AKGs are off the list

But I really may consider going to a music store and trying a set, it's been a few years since I owned the Sony 7506s and listened to a good quality over the ear headphones; I'm no audiophile or have much experience with audio quality per say, I just want something for music listening when traveling.
Let's put it this way, if I can't go to a store, I'm buying the CB-1s and since it's Amazon and they do have returns, I'll return them and possibly buy the Yenonas if I find the CB1s less bassy per say.

In terms of AT headphones, people prefer the M40x as they sound better and less bassy than the M50Xs, say if they go down in price a lot or if I can find a used pair, I may by those as well and compare between the CB1s.

I just remembered, lots of people also mention the Beyerdynamic DT770s 32ohm version, what are you opinions on those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back