Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #4,278 of 35,472
I quite like how DM2 turned out to be after many many hours of burn-in. If Sidy could get the upper mid better next time they'd get one hell of an IEM.

Best thing though it sounds quite good already straight out of my phone output, unlike KC06 and A83 which need some power to get them to truly "sing", though this also mean that DM2 don't scale quite as well as those two.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #4,279 of 35,472
I quite like how DM2 turned out to be after many many hours of burn-in. If Sidy could get the upper mid better next time they'd get one hell of an IEM.

Best thing though it sounds quite good already straight out of my phone output, unlike KC06 and A83 which need some power to get them to truly "sing", though this also mean that DM2 don't scale quite as well as those two.
while the high mids/treble might not be on par with the kc06 or Havi, I feel it is adequate. It seems splashy, but I honestly kind of enjoy it now. The bass and mids on these are truly epic (red filters applied).

I use the sony f806 Walkman and fiio e18 for an amp on these, and feel that amplification actually cleans up the high mids/treble quite well IMHO.

I should post my a-b comparison in our pm in regards to these in comparison to kc06.

I know it won't ever get the hype train going with the dm2, because people will pick them apart about the previously mentioned issues. I will say the if it prevents someone from buying them or at least giving them a listen, they are missing out on one of the best and most unique and entertaining soundstages I've ever heard in an iem.

laon, please share your thoughts a little more about how the burn in processed helped, and maybe share some impressions on the Soundstage.

Thanks

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #4,282 of 35,472
  Still not thrilled with the Tenore. Too much bass over everything else. The highs are too smoothed out, and the mids are a bit "laid back". Needs a lot of power too.

Had I not heard the KC06A, Havi, or XE800, I'd be more impressed, but they fall behind those 3.

Our ears are different, or our tenores are different, or both! There is definitely not too much bass in my replacement tenores. The mids and highs might be as you describe though. It makes me think "neutral" and  "non-fatiguing" and very enjoyable. They sound very good to me, but at this point I do like the kc06's more (and the nozzle vent mod seems to increase their sub-bass of the kc06's a bit, which I am enjoying).

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #4,283 of 35,472
Got the Earwax ER99 and ER100 and I must say that the ER100 impressed me a lot, even though I'm not a basshead. For someone that is looking for a bass heavy IEM - I think that this is one of the best choices out there. But it has more than a deep and tight bass to offer. It's a V shaped IEM with a well extended, but not sibilant treble. It has a solid build quality and a great, thick cable that has no memory that is terminated with a sturdy plug which I have never seen in IEMs. The seal is good compared to other IEMs with the same shape but it required a bit of tip rolling. I was satisfied with the seal I got using an olive shaped medium tips.

I have a little issue with comfort though. I can listen to those IEMs only in a certain position. The moment I tilt my head forward, I loose a bit of the treble extension. I have 3 pairs of different IEMs with the same form factor and it happens with all of them. So I guess it's just the shape and the size of my small ears to blame.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4,284 of 35,472

Our ears are different, or our tenores are different, or both! There is definitely not too much bass in my replacement tenores. The mids and highs might be as you describe though. It makes me think "neutral" and  "non-fatiguing" and very enjoyable. They sound very good to me, but at this point I do like the kc06's more (and the nozzle vent mod seems to increase their sub-bass of the kc06's a bit, which I am enjoying).

Same here, my Tenores are very "reference" sounding.  If you follow Tenores thread, people are talking about 2 versions (due to manufacturing variation?!?) with one being "bassy".  I like their sound, but for me it's missing extra bass quantity :wink:

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #4,285 of 35,472
while the high mids/treble might not be on par with the kc06 or Havi, I feel it is adequate. It seems splashy, but I honestly kind of enjoy it now. The bass and mids on these are truly epic (red filters applied).

I use the sony f806 Walkman and fiio e18 for an amp on these, and feel that amplification actually cleans up the high mids/treble quite well IMHO.

I should post my a-b comparison in our pm in regards to these in comparison to kc06.

I know it won't ever get the hype train going with the dm2, because people will pick them apart about the previously mentioned issues. I will say the if it prevents someone from buying them or at least giving them a listen, they are missing out on one of the best and most unique and entertaining soundstages I've ever heard in an iem.

laon, please share your thoughts a little more about how the burn in processed helped, and maybe share some impressions on the Soundstage.

Thanks

There are improvement with better source and amp but not quite as noticeable as other phone I have. Yeah you should, those are pretty good detailed comparison which is a waste to just rot in my inbox. :p

I agree about the soundstage, I dunno how to describe it, it's not huge or small, not aggressive or laid back if there's one word that fit it's enveloping, probably due to the unique shape of the housing. Before the burn-in I'd likened DM2's sound to a radio (yeah it was that bad lol) especially upper mid-high region, now almost everything cleaned up very nicely.

Oh and if I have to choose I'd take DM2 over 215 or RE400, yes really.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,287 of 35,472
  Still not thrilled with the Tenore. Too much bass over everything else. The highs are too smoothed out, and the mids are a bit "laid back". Needs a lot of power too.

Had I not heard the KC06A, Havi, or XE800, I'd be more impressed, but they fall behind those 3.

Sounds like you got one of the bass boosted ones.  Did you buy from Amazon japan?

My Tenore has forward mids, but not excessively forward.  Balanced across bass, mid, and treble.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4,288 of 35,472
There are improvement with better source and amp but not quite as noticeable as other phone I have. Yeah you should, those are pretty good detailed comparison which is a waste to just rot in my inbox. :p

I agree about the soundstage, I dunno how to describe it, it's not huge or small, not aggressive or laid back if there's one word that fit it's enveloping, probably due to the unique shape of the housing. Before the burn-in I'd likened DM2's sound to a radio (yeah it was that bad lol) especially upper mid-high region, now almost everything cleaned up very nicely.

Oh and if I have to choose I'd take DM2 over 215 or RE400, yes really.

Here's a comparison between DM2 and KC06...

I hope this gives people a feel a better perception of the DM2 after burn in.

I never say something is better than another. I will point out what I prefer better in each IEM between the two you requested.

KC06- Is a more "reference" set. It is closer to flat signature than the dm2. It does have better and more accurate treble than the dm2 (I agree the treble on dm2 is it's worst attribute). the KC06 is superior in detail retrieval and micro details. The KC06 has better separation of sound than the dm2. KC06 is better for critical listening.

DM2- Is a more "high fi" set. It is better suited for music or soundtracks where you're looking for a more powerful sound. Still I wouldn't call them bass head phones (unless you put the black filters on which I never do). The dm2 is more musical than the KC06 IMHO. Some people would disagree, but I absolutely love the soundstage on the dm2. It gives a "front row of the concert" feel. The bass and mids on the dm2 are perfect for my listening preference, therefore I prefer them over the KC06 in these areas. Again, some would agree to disagree. The treble has improved tremendously from when I first purchased them (I was disappointed in them out of the box). It is still a touch splashy up top, but separation has improved and is much more tolerable now. Dm2 is better for aggressive and in your face music and soundtracks.

These are the things I feel they are tied on...

Both are easy to drive, and both respond well to amplification and eq adjustments (although I don't feel the need to adjust eq on either pair). Build quality and ergonomics are a tie (both of them are lacking a much needed cinch cable). Soundstage would be a tie, but for different reasons (dm2 puts you in the front row, KC06 puts you in the middle of the crowd).

Negatives...

KC06- The isolation on these are crap. You can hear just about everything around you. I think the KC06 would be a giant killer if it had more sub bass, hence Ostry coming out with the KC06a. The over the ear design and no cinch cable makes no sense to me. The small carrying case forces you to wrap these up snug to put them away, and the cable has memory and stays flexed where it is wrapped. The strain relief on the plug is a red flag so I will have to be careful with it so I don't end up shorting it out.

DM2- The isolation on these aren't that great with the preferred red tips (because of filter vent). I think the dm2 would be a giant killer if it could have improved in the high mids/treble area. they have a tendency to slip out of my ears (figured out how to prevent that by going over ear with guides). The tin case they come in is not ideal for transport as I feel they would eventually start chipping the finish on the housings (I used the extra bag from my havi for them). They need better strain reliefs where the cable meets the housing.

Both of these sets are fantastic and worth every penny I paid for them. I rate them very close in terms of my personal rankings, and for different reasons.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4,289 of 35,472
KC06- The isolation on these are crap. You can hear just about everything around you. I think the KC06 would be a giant killer if it had more sub bass, hence Ostry coming out with the KC06a. The over the ear design and no cinch cable makes no sense to me. The small carrying case forces you to wrap these up snug to put them away, and the cable has memory and stays flexed where it is wrapped. The strain relief on the plug is a red flag so I will have to be careful with it so I don't end up shorting it out.

DM2- The isolation on these aren't that great with the preferred red tips (because of filter vent). I think the dm2 would be a giant killer if it could have improved in the high mids/treble area. they have a tendency to slip out of my ears (figured out how to prevent that by going over ear with guides). The tin case they come in is not ideal for transport as I feel they would eventually start chipping the finish on the housings (I used the extra bag from my havi for them). They need better strain reliefs where the cable meets the housing.

Both of these sets are fantastic and worth every penny I paid for them. I rate them very close in terms of my personal rankings, and for different reasons.

Nice writeup! I hadn't heard of the DM2's, so I just took a look at their design. Their design is not for me - I greatly prefer IEM's that don't stick out much. But from your description, they are very good sounding IEM's for the price!

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #4,290 of 35,472
  Got the Earwax ER99 and ER100 and I must say that the ER100 impressed me a lot, even though I'm not a basshead. For someone that is looking for a bass heavy IEM - I think that this is one of the best choices out there. But it has more than a deep and tight bass to offer. It's a V shaped IEM with a well extended, but not sibilant treble. It has a solid build quality and a great, thick cable that has no memory that is terminated with a sturdy plug which I have never seen in IEMs. The seal is good compared to other IEMs with the same shape but it required a bit of tip rolling. I was satisfied with the seal I got using an olive shaped medium tips.

I have a little issue with comfort though. I can listen to those IEMs only in a certain position. The moment I tilt my head forward, I loose a bit of the treble extension. I have 3 pairs of different IEMs with the same form factor and it happens with all of them. So I guess it's just the shape and the size of my small ears to blame.

Hey, someone finally tried the ER100!
etysmile.gif
Thanks for the impression. ER99 not so good? Might try a "DIY" CKS77X when they start to come out as I like that housing design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back