Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #4,772 of 33,689
cool.gif
I have a pair of the First ZST.  They blow chunks. Simply.... just awful. Easily the worst 1st effort for a Hybrid I have heard yet. The first Xiaomi Hybrid effort kills it. They are now in a box with the rest of my "Meh" IEMs that will probably never see the light of day Again. Good thing they were cheap.

JMHO

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4,774 of 33,689
Twin at least compares them to another hybrid and claims them to be technically better.
Which is more helpful than saying they are good, which is fine but good compared to what?

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #4,775 of 33,689
It means that your item was most probably defective and it should not serve as a warning against ZST to other guys. I got mine at the end of October and they are more than good! :smiley:

cool.gif
I agree To.M, This is just my experience with them and to be fair, there were problems with the first ones. It should be taken only for what it is: a personal opinion.

As for me, once I'm bitten I'm very hesitant to try again.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #4,776 of 33,689

cool.gif
I have a pair of the First ZST.  They blow chunks. Simply.... just awful. Easily the worst 1st effort for a Hybrid I have heard yet. The first Xiaomi Hybrid effort kills it. They are now in a box with the rest of my "Meh" IEMs that will probably never see the light of day Again. Good thing they were cheap.

JMHO

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Interesting.  I know compared an older hybrid I own, the Astrotec AX-35, for my tastes the ZST is enjoyable and capable of eliciting a smile where I can't wait to take the AX-35 due to boredom and a sense of just feeling underwhelmed.  I will acknowledge that at least earlier attempts at hybrids including the DN-1000 I just found unimpressive and perhaps too analytical for my tastes as where many are detail oriented listeners, I am pursuing something more emotive.

I wonder if our varying opinions of the ZST indicate an issue of taste difference, or perhaps quality issues.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #4,777 of 33,689
The zst had a bad first batch.

I got my zst a few weeks ago and they easily hold their own against the other $30 favorite hybrids. It does have good clarity, and it's a sign of things I've hoped for... a KZ multi hybrid that brings price/performance to a new level.

Use them on non critical listening, like through video game controllers late night. Gets me more performance than a Shozy Zero off the same controller.

Source: I own almost every KZ ever made.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #4,779 of 33,689
  Just saw that the DZAT DT-05 is released, anyone have any impressions of them?

@Keller   I received the DT-05 yesterday.  @VinceHill24 posted some comments about them a few weeks ago.  I think most of the people who will be receiving their DT-05s in the next few weeks purchased them with no information as to how they sound.  Like me, I think their purchase was based on an interesting and good looking design.

I purchased these from the banned  Ail seller and paid an extra $4 for ePacket shipping so received these in a little over 2 weeks. (lately 7wks has been the norm to Canada thru Ali regular shipping)

These arrived in their retail package which is one of nicest I have seen to date.  The packaging reflects quality and attention to detail.  It is evident that DZAT has a put a lot of pride in this their flagship earphone.  The earphone itself is every bit as good looking in person as in the photos.  The cable is very nice with twisted black and silver wires in a clear coating, fit and finish on the earphone itself is excellent.  The cable is formed to fit around the ear but is not memory wire and can't be changed to personal preference.  I find that for a large earphone the fit is very good.

I am cautious of out of the box impressions since I often find mine to be incorrect.  Having said that I think the OTB impression of this earphone is important. 

Before I give an impression of the sound, I must let you know that I am not normally a fan of heavy bass earphones and a few days ago I received the Havi B3 Pros and have spent quite a bit of time with them over the last couple days.

So OTB I found the DT-05 to be very bass heavy. the mids were forward and the treble seemed to be missing.  I have the DZAT DF-10 and like them very much so I felt I needed to spend some time with the DT-05s to allow my brain to make the adjustment from the Havi.  So I spent 3 hrs with them last night and 2 hrs this morning.  When comparing the DF-10 to the DT-05 I realized just how big sounding the DT-05s are.  I also found that once I found the treble that its presence became more and more evident.   By the time I stopped listening to the DT-05s last night I was starting to feel that the sound signature that DZAT had decided on for the DT-05 is one that I might come to enjoy.  The 2 hrs listening this morning was spent mainly on rock or electronic music with female vocals and I found that I quite enjoyed the DT-05s.

A quick break down of how I perceived the sound of the DT-05

Treble - recessed, has detail, is not as bright or extended as **** 4in1 or KZ ZST, no harshness or sibilance, lacks sparkle
Mids    - forward (if they weren't forward they would be overwhelmed by the bass)
Bass    - full yet has control and can also be fairly tight when required sub bass is very present.

Conclusion - I like to have a variety of earphones with different sound signatures and DT-05 has more bass presence that anything else I have at present so for me they are a worthwhile purchase and I think that I will grow to like them even more over time.  Some earphones like that Havi have wowed me at first listen, the DT-05 did not but they are growing on me.  So if you have these on order be prepared to spend some time with them when you get them as your OTB opinion of them might change as mine did.  If you are considering their purchase, then like @VinceHill24 recommended I also recommend waiting until some more impressions come in to see if you feel these will be a good fit for you personal preference.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,781 of 33,689
After all this ZST "opinion fest", I would like to know if there are still people, who bought them recently, and don't like them.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,785 of 33,689
Being that you have such an extensive collection, what is the best (neutral, but overall just good SQ) iem under ~$30?

There are really a lot, but not many are truly neutral and need EQ. If you can find a Vivo XE800 on aliexpress for $12, (check the xe800 thread) that is a good start. (They used to be $99)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back