Chicago Jan 28th 2017 Meet impressions - ChiUniFi
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22
Thank you all for coming out.  One of the larger crowds we've had in the last year or so.  It was great seeing old friends and making some new ones.  Please take some time to document your experience here.  Everyone loves to read all about it.  Plus, we can show off our usual display of amazing gear and make people kick themselves for not coming out.

Special thanks to the vendors that came out to support the Chicago event with their presence, and to those who donated raffle prizes.

ZMF Headphones
Warren from Cavalli Audio
Jason from Source AV
Harry from Cima International
Socks mk2
Audio Addict
Hisoundfi

(if I forgot to mention you, please let me know and I'll throw you on the little list)

Good sounds today.  we'll do it again.
Keith

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 22
Great meet! Glad I got to put some faces to a whole lot of names.

My favorite system was Sam's M7 (and accompanying digital stuffs) -> Passive Pre -> Dennis Fireball Amp -> Modded HD800

Til next time!

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 22
Thank you all for coming out.  One of the larger crowds we've had in the last year or so.  It was great seeing old friends and making some new ones.  Please take some time to document your experience here.  Everyone loves to read all about it.  Plus, we can show off our usual display of amazing gear and make people kick themselves for not coming out.

Special thanks to the vendors that came out to support the Chicago event with their presence, and to those who donated raffle prizes.

ZMF Headphones
Warren from Cavalli Audio
Jason from Source AV
Harry from Cima International
Socks mk2
Audio Addict
Hisoundfi

(if I forgot to mention you, please let me know and I'll throw you on the little list)

Good sounds today.  we'll do it again.
Keith

Sorry I could not stay but our dog was having some health concerns. It looked like it was a great meet.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Jan 29, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 22
This was my first meet! I'm glad to say that I had a wonderful time. Everyone shared their equipment with one another. People would thank others for be able to try out their gear, which was wonderful. It basically felt like a safe place to explore and experiment with audio. There were donuts, coffee, pretzels, chocolates, and even pudding.
popcorn.gif

I was overwhelmed from the get-go because there was SO much to sample. It was weird to see so many headphones in person that I've wanted to try for awhile. I believe I tried the following: Sennheiser HD-800 & HD-600, HiFiMAN HE-500, ZMF Atticus & Omni, Focal Utopia, Denon 7000, Mr. Speakers Ether C & Ether Flow, AKG 872, Fostex Purple Heart, Abyss, Audeze LCD-X, and maybe a few more that I can't remember!

What stood out to me:

- Listening to Aphex Twin and Rage Against the Machine on the ZMF Atticus. It was simply engaging. I absolutely love the pads on these cans. I was able to speak to Zach for awhile about his profession and found out quite a lot about his workings and ideas. It was wonderful.

- The AKG 872 was the most comfortable headphone I wore at the meet. I'd have to say I wasn't too impressed with the sound, but at this point of the meet my ears wanted a break.

- The Ether C's had a spike in females vocals that made it nearly unlistenable. EDIT: I'd like to add that these had a punchiness that was thoroughly enjoyable.

- The Sennheiser 600 definitely stand the test of time. There was honestly nothing wrong with these headphones in terms of sound signature. All around SOLID.

- I enjoyed the sound of the Abyss, but I could not for the life of me get a comfortable seal. I wonder how different it would have sounded with a comfortable fit.

- The LCD-X definitely stood out in terms of sound. The mids seemed a bit recessed, but then again this is coming from a guy who owns the AKG K712's. These headphones were also comfortable, yet quite heavy.

- The Ether Flow left me wanting to listen to more. For some reason I only listened to a few songs, but I enjoyed what I heard. EDIT: If anyone is interested in lending me a pair for a few days to a week ....
biggrin.gif

I can honestly say I was a bit overwhelmed considering I'm so new to this hobby. It was nice, but at the same time my OCD wanted to listen to everything and compare everything, and this is simply not possible, even with 5 hours of time on my hands. I would DEFINITELY like to go to another meet and have a full set-up. Thank you everyone for making this possible, and thank you Keith for being really calm and relaxed.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 22

Warren and I would happily visit this group again someday soon! Great bunch of guys! Thank you all for having us at your very fun meet :thumbsup_tone1::thumbsup_tone1::smiley:

It was so awesome having you guys at the meet. Definitely made it worth the 13 hours of round trip driving... even if I'm going to see you next weekend anyway. :wink:

Many pics to come!!

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 22

Warren and I would happily visit this group again someday soon! Great bunch of guys! Thank you all for having us at your very fun meet :thumbsup_tone1::thumbsup_tone1::smiley:

Thanks for coming and supporting the chicago area headphone peeps.  Wish I could have spoken with you more.  Hope to see you again soon, so you can B**** about the cold some more.  HA!

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 22
Here are some pictures from the meet.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 22
It was really cool meeting all of you, I had a blast and am looking forward to making the drive up to Chicago again!  So much thanks to the organizers for putting this on.  Below are some non-exhaustive thoughts of new things I heard, Utopia into Zana Deux blew my mind:

Amps

Wells Audio Milo- Holy cow, this amp has balls. Modded HE-6 was extremely hard hitting and aggressive sounding, more so than "normal", best I've ever heard my 6 (but I have not heard the elite speaker amps). Wow. Not great with the HD800, super awesome low end and slam (better than mjo2 even?) but not great sense of space, air or staging. Also no play on volume knob with 800, even HE-6 only needed 9:30 max, but I'm told there are options to get this amp more attenuated. Cute little upright form factor would be great for desk. Would seriously consider if I do an ancillary setup with the 6 or other planars, Slants, Abyss, and ZMF Omni/Ori were also awesome and dynamic out of it.

EC Zana Deux  with Gumby: I was lucky enough to purchase this amp used from @ogodei , and picked it up as the meet started, so my impressions are quick just like anyone else's there. w/HD800: Very wide and convincing staging, both width and depth. Very smooth and coherent from through the treble, which is saying a lot. Low end has good presence, but lacks commanding slam which I miss a bit from Mjo2, but is less warm sounding overall (still warm tho). Utopia: Best combo in show I tried, as I found Utopia just "good" from some other amps. I wish I never plugged these in to my own rig, would buy one immediately if they were priced more competitively. So happy this is home with me now.

Cavalli Liquid Gold: Made HE-6 sound incredibly soft and smooth. It was WEIRD, but in a very good way. Played very well with HD800 treble, very resolving and quick, but a little soft down low. Eikon and Atticus were both solid on it. Probably the best overall SS amp I've ever heard, but my experience in high end SS isn't expansive.

Schiit Jot DAC and amp: Surprisingly good with my HE-6, very quick and clear, however with the BIG caveat that it was quite thin in the bass. HD650 hype with Jot is real, liked how forward the laid back 650 sounded on it.

Headphones

STAX-009: The only electrostat I've ever heard. Much more impact, deep extension, and overall warmness than what I was expecting. Very enjoyable overall, a 'faster' sound with very little note linger (good or bad, depending) with no glaring flaws. Wish I spent more time with it. If it was a headphone I could plug into a standard amp I'd consider one.

Focal Utopia: Quick impressions were that it meets or even exceeds the modded HD800 in all aspects I can think of except stage size, comfort/weight, and maybe that last inch of resolution. I had a hard time coming up with flaws in my short time... damn I really liked this, especially out of the Zana. My impressions of it did vary a bit depending on source, especially in dynamism and staging, more than most other headphones. 

HEK v2: Great textured bass, fairly detailed, with laid back treble that still has some sparkle to it. These may be the slightly laid back HD800 alternative I've been looking for, but probably not going to swing it at its current price.  Maybe HEX is worth a shot.

ZMF Atticus: This sounds like how a hot dog in a pigs-in-a-blanket feels: It's ensconced in a warm and gooey pastry blanket, with no means to escape. Just way too much midbass/lower midrange emphasis for me. Only amp I could handle it on was the Cavalli Liquid Gold, but still too much. Upper midrange was very even and pleasing, with a nice rolloff throughout the treble.

ZMF Eikon: I was thinking this all throughout the meet, but needed this morning to confirm. Best all around full-sized closed cans I've ever heard. Pretty sure that's not owner's bias (Zach delivered my pre-order pair at the meet, which was awesome). Bass is deep extending, kicks hard, doesn't bleed into mids, and is a tasteful bit raised above "neutral". Midrange is nice and present, without being overly forward, good detail and nice character with a gentle decay. Staging is very wide and deep for a closed, and even kinda good for an open back. I thought I was wearing an Treble provides good detail and air, and sounds slightly elevatated. I think there's just a touch of peakiness, but not enough to even be certain yet.

ZMF Omni/Ori: Best treble I've heard out of a t50RP driver, very smooth and almost none of that tizzy sound. Overly warm, but not as much as the Atticus. It was nice, but I think I prefer the Blackwood model even not considering price difference, as it's relatively more netural and less warm, even tho it does have some treble tizz.

Meze 99- Way too bassy, and generally forward sounding for my tastes. I lasted 2 songs, the second was off Daft's RAM and it was just way too much

Ether C (original): Really etchy treble thing going on, I remember that a little bit on Open Ether (which I really like) but this was much more apparent. 

Sony Z1R: Very premium feeling, comfortable, well isolating. Very convincing, rumbling bass, that seemed to have a "location" in the headstage, if a little too much bass overall for me at times. Midrange sounded smooth and no glaring flaws up top, if a little too laid back for me. Excellent sense of space for a closed back. It wasn't bad, just unremarkable.

DAP

Cayin i5: I was in the DAP market a year ago, and I really wish it existed then. Still may grab it. It checks all my boxes, nice form factor that's easily pocketable, runs android and can stream Tidal/Spotify, has 1 SD card slot, physical volume knob (digital control tho), bright screen, and only has 3.5mm out (I consider this a feature because all the balanced cables for my DP-x1 leads to insanity). Only $499, and uses AK4490 with less than 1 ohm OI. Made my Jupiter sound a bit more forward in the upper mids, which I really like. That forwardness could be unideal with other IEMs tho (I didn't see the IEM table in the corner until late or would've tried others).

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 22
  It was really cool meeting all of you, I had a blast and am looking forward to making the drive up to Chicago again!  So much thanks to the organizers for putting this on.  Below are some non-exhaustive thoughts of new things I heard, Utopia into Zana Deux blew my mind:

Amps

Wells Audio Milo- Holy cow, this amp has balls. Modded HE-6 was extremely hard hitting and aggressive sounding, more so than "normal", best I've ever heard my 6 (but I have not heard the elite speaker amps). Wow. Not great with the HD800, super awesome low end and slam (better than mjo2 even?) but not great sense of space, air or staging. Also no play on volume knob with 800, even HE-6 only needed 9:30 max, but I'm told there are options to get this amp more attenuated. Cute little upright form factor would be great for desk. Would seriously consider if I do an ancillary setup with the 6 or other planars, Slants, Abyss, and ZMF Omni/Ori were also awesome and dynamic out of it.

EC Zana Deux  with Gumby: I was lucky enough to purchase this amp used from @ogodei , and picked it up as the meet started, so my impressions are quick just like anyone else's there. w/HD800: Very wide and convincing staging, both width and depth. Very smooth and coherent from through the treble, which is saying a lot. Low end has good presence, but lacks commanding slam which I miss a bit from Mjo2, but is less warm sounding overall (still warm tho). Utopia: Best combo in show I tried, as I found Utopia just "good" from some other amps. I wish I never plugged these in to my own rig, would buy one immediately if they were priced more competitively. So happy this is home with me now.

Cavalli Liquid Gold: Made HE-6 sound incredibly soft and smooth. It was WEIRD, but in a very good way. Played very well with HD800 treble, very resolving and quick, but a little soft down low. Eikon and Atticus were both solid on it. Probably the best overall SS amp I've ever heard, but my experience in high end SS isn't expansive.

Schiit Jot DAC and amp: Surprisingly good with my HE-6, very quick and clear, however with the BIG caveat that it was quite thin in the bass. HD650 hype with Jot is real, liked how forward the laid back 650 sounded on it.

Headphones

STAX-009: The only electrostat I've ever heard. Much more impact, deep extension, and overall warmness than what I was expecting. Very enjoyable overall, a 'faster' sound with very little note linger (good or bad, depending) with no glaring flaws. Wish I spent more time with it. If it was a headphone I could plug into a standard amp I'd consider one.

Focal Utopia: Quick impressions were that it meets or even exceeds the modded HD800 in all aspects I can think of except stage size, comfort/weight, and maybe that last inch of resolution. I had a hard time coming up with flaws in my short time... damn I really liked this, especially out of the Zana. My impressions of it did vary a bit depending on source, especially in dynamism and staging, more than most other headphones. 

HEK v2: Great textured bass, fairly detailed, with laid back treble that still has some sparkle to it. These may be the slightly laid back HD800 alternative I've been looking for, but probably not going to swing it at its current price.  Maybe HEX is worth a shot.

ZMF Atticus: This sounds like how a hot dog in a pigs-in-a-blanket feels: It's ensconced in a warm and gooey pastry blanket, with no means to escape. Just way too much midbass/lower midrange emphasis for me. Only amp I could handle it on was the Cavalli Liquid Gold, but still too much. Upper midrange was very even and pleasing, with a nice rolloff throughout the treble.

ZMF Eikon: I was thinking this all throughout the meet, but needed this morning to confirm. Best all around full-sized closed cans I've ever heard. Pretty sure that's not owner's bias (Zach delivered my pre-order pair at the meet, which was awesome). Bass is deep extending, kicks hard, doesn't bleed into mids, and is a tasteful bit raised above "neutral". Midrange is nice and present, without being overly forward, good detail and nice character with a gentle decay. Staging is very wide and deep for a closed, and even kinda good for an open back. I thought I was wearing an Treble provides good detail and air, and sounds slightly elevatated. I think there's just a touch of peakiness, but not enough to even be certain yet.

ZMF Omni/Ori: Best treble I've heard out of a t50RP driver, very smooth and almost none of that tizzy sound. Overly warm, but not as much as the Atticus. It was nice, but I think I prefer the Blackwood model even not considering price difference, as it's relatively more netural and less warm, even tho it does have some treble tizz.

Meze 99- Way too bassy, and generally forward sounding for my tastes. I lasted 2 songs, the second was off Daft's RAM and it was just way too much

Ether C (original): Really etchy treble thing going on, I remember that a little bit on Open Ether (which I really like) but this was much more apparent. 

DAP

Cayin i5: I was in the DAP market a year ago, and I really wish it existed then. Still may grab it. It checks all my boxes, nice form factor that's easily pocketable, runs android and can stream Tidal/Spotify, has 1 SD card slot, physical volume knob (digital control tho), bright screen, and only has 3.5mm out (I consider this a feature because all the balanced cables for my DP-x1 leads to insanity). Only $499, and uses AK4490 with less than 1 ohm OI. Made my Jupiter sound a bit more forward in the upper mids, which I really like. That forwardness could be unideal with other IEMs tho (I didn't see the IEM table in the corner until late or would've tried others).

Thanks for the Impression, Just wonder how is Eikon comparing to Z1R.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 22
  Thanks for the Impression, Just wonder how is Eikon comparing to Z1R.

I edited in some brief Z1R impressions, I originally did not include because my time was limited and it was off the new Sony amp I was unfamiliar with. I'm sure others can elaborate more, but in a nutshell... Z1R was lighter, therefore more comfortable, and more bassy.  The bass was really full and involving, and the bass itself felt like it had specific placement in the headstage.  The midrange was fine if a little recessed, and the treble was unremarkable and laid back, but unproblematic.  I liked the less bassy but yet harder slamming Eikon more, which also had a more up front midrange, wider stage, and more sparkle to the treble.  Again keep in mind my impressions of Z1R were quick, and off an unfamiliar amp.  Really loving the Eikon now that it's home with me, as I said best closed back I've heard (for my preferences)

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 22
I edited in some brief Z1R impressions, I originally did not include because my time was limited and it was off the new Sony amp I was unfamiliar with. I'm sure others can elaborate more, but in a nutshell... Z1R was lighter, therefore more comfortable, and more bassy.  The bass was really full and involving, and the bass itself felt like it had specific placement in the headstage.  The midrange was fine if a little recessed, and the treble was unremarkable and laid back, but unproblematic.  I liked the less bassy but yet harder slamming Eikon more, which also had a more up front midrange, wider stage, and more sparkle to the treble.  Again keep in mind my impressions of Z1R were quick, and off an unfamiliar amp.  Really loving the Eikon now that it's home with me, as I said best closed back I've heard (for my preferences)
Zach's headphone seems to be really good if you're a high db listener. I had Rage Against the Machine knocking my head around for a few minutes and his headphone never choked at that extreme level. My ears hurt by his headphones didn't blink an eye being hit that hard.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 30, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 22
Dang, sorry I missed this meet. I have a fear of driving on highways ever since I wrecked and cracked ribs, twice. >.>  I only live 2 hours from the meet, but oh well, maybe someday I will muster the courage.

Everything I have read here I agree with so far though, and I am pretty sure ZMF Blackwood's are my end game, most likely buying them direct from Zach around Black Friday next year assuming he has some B-stock in and/or does his annual price lowering around that time, thought that may just be for the Vibro's I can't remember.

ZMF Eikon is probably my true end game, but I am never going to spend that much money on this hobby unless I make some decent money someday, but I doubt I get that lucky.  ZMF Blackwoods and/or STAX SRS-3100 earspeaker system is my end game certainly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back