Cheapest portable amp for Etymotic ER4S?
Jul 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
Sooo got me my pair of ER4S's today and well...either something is wrong or these require a pretty crazy amount of power for their size to push.

I'm currently using a AudioTrak ImAmp (portable amp that I also use for desktop) and even at 75% volume (which is way more than any headphone's I've used with it needed) with the source at 100% (either my BlackBerry Q10 or PC) the volume is BARELY what I would consider "enough".

I have proper seal so as far as I can tell that's not the problem...these just need a TON of power to push or...something...

So yeah I need a new amp apparently. A cheap one too. Like, $100 or less cheap. I knew going in that these required more power than the ER4P but goodness me oh my! Didn't know they needed THAT much...

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 14
You might have some moderate hearing damage. ER4S does benefit from power but is only around 100ohm. My Sansa Clip powers it unaided to ear-piercing levels, but I habitually listen to my music as quietly as is enjoyable.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 14
  You might have some moderate hearing damage. ER4S does benefit from power but is only around 100ohm. My Sansa Clip powers it unaided to ear-piercing levels, but I habitually listen to my music as quietly as is enjoyable.

No it's not hearing damage...I'm pretty sure I would notice my hearing being that dramatically reduced. Not to mention that everything else I own sounds normal (other headphones, speakers, other people).

So either something is wrong on my end (what?) or...I have no idea...

I see seal is VERY important but I've used all the tips and from what I can tell proper seal does occur. All tips sound the same, no matter how sealed or deep they are. While I can't say 100%, the seal doesn't seem to be an issue here and I'm pretty sure I know what a good seal constitutes.

Box says ER-4S on it...so I can only assume I got the right ones. If so...why are other people not having issues yet I am?

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Mm, you might be misunderstanding what I'm saying. There's no reason why trying different headphones would give you insight into hearing damage. If your hearing has been damaged, all headphones will be reduced in apparent volume by a certain amount, but low resistance headphones (the most common type) will still be able to be powered to suitable levels for you by phones, portable players, etc. Have you given another person under, say, 20 years of age, who hasn't been exposed to a lot of loud volumes, a chance to listen to these ER4S? See what volume they feel is acceptable and reference it with yourself.

Two other slightly less probably solutions I can think of is that either the soundholes are being clogged or closed over by earwax or the tips you're using as you insert them (which tips are you using?); or, that your music collection would benefit from ReplayGain.

Quote:

No it's not hearing damage...I'm pretty sure I would notice my hearing being that dramatically reduced. Not to mention that everything else I own sounds normal (other headphones, speakers, other people).

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 14
My hearing is fine. It's not just me here...

Either way, I just contacted the seller that I bought them off of on eBay.

Something definitely isn't right here haha! If a Sansa MP3 player can power these to extreme levels then there has got to be something wrong with mine if I have to amp them so much to get even decent results. 

My amp has had no issues and continues having no issues with even much more power hungry headphones like the HifiMan HE-400, Beyerdynamic T90, etc.

Definitely not my hearing LOL!

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Is there some way you can objectively test your hearing capability aside from just asserting it? The HE400 are only 35ohm, and the T90 are 250ohm but very, very sensitive.

Also, for the sake of integrity, you should really get other people involved in this decision before returning a pair of headphones if there's a chance there's nothing wrong with them...

Quote:
  My hearing is fine. It's not just me here...

Either way, I just contacted the seller that I bought them off of on eBay.

Something definitely isn't right here haha! If a Sansa MP3 player can power these to extreme levels then there has got to be something wrong with mine if I have to amp them so much to get even decent results. 

My amp has had no issues and continues having no issues with even much more power hungry headphones like the HifiMan HE-400, Beyerdynamic T90, etc.

Definitely not my hearing LOL!

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 14
So you had other younger people who don't blast music all day listen to your ER4S out of your sources and they agreed with you they were too quiet at max volume?

Quote:
  I already have...hence me saying there's some issue here.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 14
I have a pair of ER4S that I always listen to on my laptop, no volume problem at all. The ER4S has a small screen. If you remove the tip it is colored green. Their is a tool that you screw on to remove it. And they give you some extra ones in a small tube for replacement.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 14
  I have a pair of ER4S that I always listen to on my laptop, no volume problem at all. The ER4S has a small screen. If you remove the tip it is colored green. Their is a tool that you screw on to remove it. And they give you some extra ones in a small tube for replacement.

I've tried removing the filters and replacing them. Same end result...even removing them completely had no discernible effect.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 14
I have found the er4s really love powerful amps. My SPL auditor made them sound super dyanamic and really warmed them up. Through my apex glacier they are just OK 

I tried them with the Chord Hugo and its a great option also. Think ill buy that eventually

Users who are viewing this thread

Back