Cheap USB DAC for Laptop
Apr 6, 2011 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

Since my iBasso D6 is giving me problems and I will probably return it for a refund (not decided yet though) I am thinking about geting a cheap USB DAC that would be small and better than my onboard audio (not too difficult to achieve). What I need is a device that I can atach to my laptop, connect my Stepdance and listen to music/ watch movies with no distortion that my onboard sound card is producing.

I was looking through eBay and found this:

AUNE Hifi Mini USB SPDIF DAC
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330521924809&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

and was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with this specific DAC.

I really do not need anything special - just something to make my onboard soundcard better for times when I am away from home and want to watch movies on my laptop.

Thanks in advance,
Szadzik

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Aune is fine. For the rest, the usual suspects: Behringer UCA202 ($30), M-Audio Transit ($50), Nuforce uDAC2 ($99?), Zero DAC ($100), Musiland 02 ($120)... 

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Aune is fine. For the rest, the usual suspects: Behringer UCA202 ($30), M-Audio Transit ($50), Nuforce uDAC2 ($99?), Zero DAC ($100), Musiland 02 ($120)... 

Thanks for all the great recommendations! I looked at uDAC2 and in Europe it is a bit expensive compared to the other options, even though it comes from a good manufacturer and all I do not want to invest too much in a DAC for watching movies :)

I also checked the Musiland 02 earlier and it looks very interesting, but is a bit bulky for my use (in bed mostly).

I am still checking out M-Audio Transit and Behringer UCA202 - the later looks very interesting and is cheap and avaialble from eBay.

I will look into the three options and will need to buy something quickly as using my T5ps with my laptop HO is just horrible.

EDIT1: M-Audio Transit seemed a good option, but it is out of the equation now.

EDIT2: Let the fight betwen Behringer and Aune begin!!!

UCA202 is available from Europe, has phone out so does not require an amp, has volume (just noticed Aune has that too) - I think it will be better suited for my needs than the Aune - stil not sure about this.

Aune is made of metal, looks better, has no volume control (a +), comes with external power adaptor - just in case, has USB input and not an attached cable. 

Any thoughts on my reasoning and choice?

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Why is the Transit off the list? 

1. Availability - not as easy to buy as the others - in UK very hard to buy and
2. Price - same as Aune but for a plasic flimsy case.
3. Plastic, poor quality case.

The only advantage it has is its 24/96 capability which with my *.avi movies and music will not find much use.

Disagree? I am open to suggestions opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back