Cheap upgrade from Galaxy S?
Jun 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
Currently, I listen to my music through my Galaxy S (the original with the Wolfson) with the Voodoo sound enhancements. Sadly, my phone is dying and I'm looking to go to an older Blackberry (because I love the keyboard, I mainly use my phone for music and texting). I still want great sound quality though. Is there an audio player for $50 or less that's as good as or better than my phone? Thanks!!
Also, I have about 20 GB of songs (FLAC and such) so it needs to have space.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 25
Out of curiosity; In order to upgrade from a SGS, what options are we talking about if we restrict to music players? I actually enjoy the sound of my SGS but I guess I am looking for even more if it´s possible.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 25
The SGS's sound quality is far superior than anything that Sansa is selling right now. I'd say any player that's an upgrade from the SGS is the RoCoo and the HiFi-Man players. Neither will give you the GUI that the Android OS has.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 25
The sgs can be used as a network streamer, too.

You literally cannot best its versatility, except with a better android with voodoo capabilities.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
The sgs can be used as a network streamer, too.
You literally cannot best its versatility, except with a better android with voodoo capabilities.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget about the app, "Sound Wire".  You run the server app on your computer, whatever plays on your computer will play over WiFi on your phone.  It constantly streams about 1.44 mbps over your WiFi, but is pretty convenient. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 25
What exactly do you mean by "dying"? You sure it's not just the battery? (I've kinda gotten used to Apple people prematurely trading in their stuff all because of busted batteries that you can't take out yourself, so I really had to ask)

If it's the battery, I've managed to keep charging cycles down. I have 3, one spare charger that I use as a battery holder, and the third battery's in a ziplock bag. All still going strong since I cycle them and I don't leave the Wi-Fi and BT on all the time. My laptop (work) bag and my casual camera bag always has one of the spares, each, and when the battery dies I get one from there and charge the empty one in the spare charger. I very rarely plug in the phone for charging.

In any case, if it's not the battery and you really prefer a physical keypad, Sansa will be your best bet at that price point.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 25
You can buy an extended battery for like sub-$20. Stock OEM batteries are like sub-$10.

When I was using the SGS as a network device, I had all of the music on the SGS. I was controlling it remotely via VNC server, and I could add/delete songs via AirDroid.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #15 of 25
I'd vote for the Fuze as well. Nice size and the little bit of extra screen and battery life are nice. I really enjoyed mine until it broke. Sandisk offers no replacement parts or out of warranty repairs BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back