Cheap surround setup for mancave gaming to complement m-audio av40's
Nov 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Need some advice on setting up a small, cheap surround setup for my small home office/gaming cave. Looking to setup a surround system once my asus ROG Phoebe solo sound card arrives.

Have so far: a couple of M-Audio AV-40's which I want to use for front left/right.  So considering a 2.1 or 5.1 logitech or similar jobby.

Have a pair of akg's and headphone amp for critical listening (k601 and k271 mkii's, music fidelity v-can's).

Any recommendations for subwoofer/side/rear speaker setup? So far been considering logitech 2.1 and 5.1 packages...don't really want to spend more than price for say logitech z623's (around 150 usd here in Norway! go figure).

At the moment haven't decided on 5.1 or 7.1 route.  It's a small room around 3-6 meters.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 6
If you buy a package set like that, the sub crossover won't be matched to your AV40s.

Get two more AV40s. And then later on add a sub, and you'd have 4.1.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 6
  Need some advice on setting up a small, cheap surround setup for my small home office/gaming cave. Looking to setup a surround system once my asus ROG Phoebe solo sound card arrives.
Have so far: a couple of M-Audio AV-40's which I want to use for front left/right.  So considering a 2.1 or 5.1 Logitech or similar jobby.
Have a pair of akg's and headphone amp for critical listening (k601 and k271 mkii's, music fidelity v-can's).
Any recommendations for subwoofer/side/rear speaker setup? So far been considering logitech 2.1 and 5.1 packages...don't really want to spend more than price for say Logitech z623's (around 150 usd here in Norway! go figure).
At the moment haven't decided on 5.1 or 7.1 route.  It's a small room around 3-6 meters.
Cheers!

Maybe you can find a used Logitech Z5500 5.1 for $150

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Well got impatient and picked up logitech z506 for a 7.1 setup...using the av40's for front l/r.  Works ok, haven't tested it properly yet, still waiting for sound card.  More AV40's was not an option 1) they're around 400 bucks here in Norway and 2) my av40's decided to stop working for a period of a couple of years after purchase (died 2 weeks after warranty expiration!)...just a really shoddy product. Suddenly started working again a year ago.  Needless to say no point in sending in for repairs (bought mine for 150 usd stateside). Staying the hell away from m-audio in the future (although my m-audio black box still works fine. They have quality control issues (see forums...one litany of anti-m-audio rants....).

This ain't an audiophile setup in any case, was just dying to try out surround sound for gaming. Will probably give the razer software surround a shot as well, 20 bucks is manageable.

Thanks for the replies! 

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Yep....mine were 150usd from sweetwater 6 years ago...and they crapped out on me for 2 years...spent a year slagging off m-audio on the forums....when they work they're pretty brilliant for such tiny speakers tho...and thank god they're working again...decent pair of monitors is around 500+ buckaroos and up these days....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back