Cheap Regulated Power: Is it possible?
Jul 16, 2003 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
I realize that a lot of people use those expense brick power regulators that smooth out the spikes and generate a perfect sine wave. However, I don't exactly have $1000 lying around. Therefore, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to plug in my amp and CDP. I've been hearing about UPS batter backup systems and other fail-safe systems. However, do those work to elimate background noise and to improve sound quality? Would I have to buy gear that's made specifically for hi-fi? If so, what might be a CHEAP product?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 16, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Look at Balanced Power Tech's BP jr.- MkII, it has four outlets and is about $400. Their products are cutsomizable, too.

Or, PS Audio's Ultimate Outlet, this one offers two outlets and starts at $299. It is avaliable in 15 or 20amp models. Check out Audiogon, as the UO can be found pretty often on the used market. (under Accessories- AC)

Monster also has alternatives you may want to look at.

Good luck.

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 5
An alternative I like a lot is the JR power conditioner/surge suppressor at diycable.com . It cured a hum problem I was having. Due to i's kit form, it was very inexpensive for what I got out of the tweak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back