Cheap Phono Stage Reco for SMMC4 cartridge.
Nov 10, 2010 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
About 5 years ago I inherited a Beogram RX turntable and got back into vinyl for a little while.  However, after listening for a while I came to the conclusion that the RX needed a new proprietary cartridge, with an entry level price of $150.  At the time I didn't think it was worth it and decided against replacing the cartridge and basically stopped listening to vinyl again.

The vinyl bug has bitten me again and I recently broke down and bought a new SMMC4.  Now I'm looking for a new budget preamp that will do the new cartridge justice. 

I've read some recommendations for the Pro-Ject Phono Box II and the TCC TC-760LC  but don't know if these are a good match for the cart/TT.   Has anyone heard either of these phono stages with the SMMC4?

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 3
The reason I'm asking is because the SMM4 is a "moving iron" cartridge.  I guess this is similar to the Grado cartridges.  Would a preamp compatible with a moving magnet cartidge be what I'm looking for?

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 3
I think it really depends on the output level of the cartridge.  I have an old Grado "low output" cartridge at 1.5v (if I remember rightly).  I use the phonopreamp 740 with it and it needs a boost which I got through another piece of their equipment.  But if I recall, the 760 is supposed to be able to handle both MM and MC cartridges, which would mean that it'll be fine with what you have.  You could always contact Ed at phonopreamps.com; I've found him to be very helpful.

- Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back