Cheap over ear noise isolating heaphones
Aug 27, 2015 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ched999uk

New Head-Fier
Help. My girlfriend has just bought a 'silent guitar' to practice in the lounge (using headphones) with while I watch TV. The problem is she has taken a liking to my old faithful Goldring NS1000. The problem is she isn't as careful with things and I don't want my ns1000 broken.

So I need to find a cheap, ideally less than £30, pair of over the ear phones that are very comfy that isolate as much ambient noise as possible. Sound quality isn't as important as sound isolation!!  She wants to block as much of the tv noise as possible.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 5
How about using IEMs(in the ear canal isolating earphones)? Closed headphones that isolate well tend to make ears uncomfortably hot, especially with extended use. Other complain about discomfort due to clamping force.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 5
  How about using IEMs(in the ear canal isolating earphones)? Closed headphones that isolate well tend to make ears uncomfortably hot, especially with extended use. Other complain about discomfort due to clamping force.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately she doesn't like IEM's at all. You are right that Closed headphones will make her ears hot and the clamping force is a double edged sword (needed for good sound isolation but, as you say, can be uncomfortable).
My guess is that she will only use for 1 maybe 2 hrs at a time.

Looking at :
Panasonic RP-HTX7
akg k77
Sennheiser HD419

Any thoughts?
Cheers

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 5

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately she doesn't like IEM's at all. You are right that Closed headphones will make her ears hot and the clamping force is a double edged sword (needed for good sound isolation but, as you say, can be uncomfortable).
My guess is that she will only use for 1 maybe 2 hrs at a time.

Looking at :
Panasonic RP-HTX7
akg k77
Sennheiser HD419

Any thoughts?
Cheers

The HD419 will be more comfortable due to the velour earpads, however that will also reduce the isolation. I haven't heard it. I can't wear closed headphones which isolate well due to my ears overheating. Has she tried isolating heaphones before? Did her ears earheat? IEMs take time to get used to. Initially I didn't like them, however I got used to them. I can't even wear a closed headphone with good isolation for 10 minutes before my ears get uncomfortably hot.

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 5
  The HD419 will be more comfortable due to the velour earpads, however that will also reduce the isolation. I haven't heard it. I can't wear closed headphones which isolate well due to my ears overheating. Has she tried isolating heaphones before? Did her ears earheat? IEMs take time to get used to. Initially I didn't like them, however I got used to them. I can't even wear a closed headphone with good isolation for 10 minutes before my ears get uncomfortably hot.

Cheers for your reply. She has tried my Goldring NS1000 which are fairly isolating and likes them a lot, but I am concerned she wont be gentle with them :). She is fine with the ear heat for the length of time she can practice guitar, at moment only an hr or so due to sore fingers.
IEM's she hates, as soon as they go in her ears she can't sit still...
Think the HD419 might be similar fit to my HD558's but they are very open backed so no heat, but at least she can try them.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back