Cheap integrated tube amps w/headphone jack?
Sep 23, 2004 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GlowWorm

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering buying an inexpensive integrated tube amp w/headphone jack. I only know of one, the $499 Meixing MC-34B. Are there any others that I should know about?

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Oh well, I guess not? "Cheap" may be too harsh a word, how about "relatively inexpensive" = $700 or so? I can't understand why there are so few tube amps that have a headphone out in general? Doesn't seem that difficult or expensive to do, any insights?

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Oh well, I guess not? "Cheap" may be too harsh a word, how about "relatively inexpensive" = $700 or so? I can't understand why there are so few tube amps that have a headphone out in general? Doesn't seem that difficult or expensive to do, any insights?

Tube amps are generally high impedance, low current devices that is not suited for driving a low impedance load such as headphones. Therefore, tube amps that can accomodate headphones have to be specifically designed to do so, either by using a output transformer that matches the headphones or using some high current tubes capable of creating very low impedance output stage.

The downside of this is that considerable amt of heat is generated, and cost is somewhat high compared to sand (solid state) amps. A lot of the commercially available tube headphone amps out there tries to lower the cost by creating a "semi" tube amp by not using tube rectification. Some people like it, but I, for one, do not think that a tube amp should be considered a true tube amp unless tube rectification is used. It's a shame that the Wheatfield HA-2 is not longer available.

Keith

Sep 25, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 4
You might consider something like the Fisher 400. It's a great tube amp (receiver actually) that will drive any headphones and makes good music. I currently have two and will be selling one once mods are done by Paul at Bizzy Bee Audio (It will be a full 400-X modded unit for around $700. I haven't listed it yet since it's not complete yet, but PM me if your interested). The Fisher 400 is an all tube receiver with headphone jack, tuner, phono stage and 28 watts/channel to drive speakers if you wish, restored and retubed to be reliable for decades to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back