Cheap Headphones for Bass
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chaos71

New Head-Fier
I play bass guitar as a hobby, and I'm hoping to get some better headphones to practice with. I'd also be using them at home with my laptop/ipod for listening to music (mostly classic rock and ska), or possibly some light gaming. My budget is loosely around $50, though cheaper is always better. If it's really worth it, I could probably go up to $70-80.

I need headphones that can handle all the frequencies of a normal 4-string bass without any difficulties. Comfort and build quality are also top priorities. I'd gladly shell out some extra cash if it means my 'phones will last an extra year or two. I'd like to be able to easily "pick out" bass parts from songs to help with transcribing (Would this be based on soundstage or just a cleaner sound? I don't know). Isolation isn't really a problem. Portability would be nice, but definitely isn't necessary.

I've been doing some research, and these are the headphones that have caught my eye:
Koss PortaPro - They're cheap and the lifetime no questions warranty is really appealing. I've heard mixed reviews about the sound though. (I already have the KSC75, but they rattle badly when I try to listen to bass through them. I hear the PortaPros have the same drivers. Does that mean they would have the same issue?)
JVC HA-RX700 - Good pricetag, sound, and comfort, from what I've heard. I don't know if the size would be a problem. I would probably mod these if I got them, as I've heard there's a big improvement.
Grado SR60 - A bit outside of my price range, but the sound quality seems good from what I've heard. I don't know about the build quality though, or comfort. Anybody want to vouch for them?

I do not want my choices to be limited to these. If you have any recommendations, please post them. I'm new, and hoping to learn from the community.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 13
Sony XB700 ?

oh.. and,  Welcome to head-fi broseph !

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 13
My brother plays bass.  I'll ask him what he thinks about my XB700s.  The nice thing about the XB700s as compared to other bassy 'phones is that it's bass response is =1613&graphID[]=1193]very elevated, but flat.  It doesn't just have a 60hz drum kick spike like most others do.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 13
The XB700's are great for big, huge, subwoofer-like bass, but not so good for following a bass line.

I'd recommend the MDR-V6's. They do bass beautifully.

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
The XB700's are great for big, huge, subwoofer-like bass, but not so good for following a bass line.

I'd recommend the MDR-V6's. They do bass beautifully.

Thanks, this is the stuff I need to know. What should I be looking for to help me follow a bass line? And I'll keep the ATH-ES7 and MDR-V6 in mind.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 13
After some more research, I'm starting to lean towards the Grado SR60(i)s. Would this be a good choice? Would it handle bass well? Also, where would be a good place to buy them (online)? I hear they can be found for ~$60, but I can't find anywhere under $70.

EDIT: Could anyone tell me how the SR60i compares to the MDR-V6?

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 13
The Grados are kind of the opposite of what you're looking for.

They aren't very bassy, many people find them less comfortable than most other major brands, and their design doesn't really make them ideal for mobile use, as they could easily break on you.

Don't get me wrong, there really is something magical about them, but that's not what I'd recommend with your list of criteria.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Grados are open headphones. They are not what you are looking for if you want bass. Grados are also treble oriented. I'd describe them as banshees of the headphone world. Like banshees, they are pretty exciting and they feel like they're in pain.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 13
Perhaps AKG K 518 DJ or Sennheiser HD 212 Pros would be an option in this price segment as well, they are like $50 or just below depending on where u look. Both have greatly empasized bass but they both sound very different so it depends a bit what you're looking for. HD 212 Pros have more deep 50~60Hz or so bass (more subwoofer type of bass) and K 518 DJ have lots of 90~150Hz thumping upper headphone bass. The HD 212 Pros have quite cold sound signature and quite bright highs un-EQ'd and K 518 DJs are very warm sounding/dark sound nature with perhaps a "fullier" sound (mids slightly more present). K 518 DJ works great for portable use and looks great but are rather uncomfy (streching is a must). Both are very lightweight.

I admit Porta Pros are also relatively nice for the price and are a bit mixed bag of both above headphones with perhaps slightly less bass. Of the listed ones, I'd say Koss Porta Pros gives you most for the money spent for your needs.

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 13
For under $50 the Koss UR-55 has the best bass out of anything I've tried. Not boomy and bloated bass like some headphones that might have more bass overall. I've found that the new Koss Pro DJ100 is actually a lot better and is only $80. They're better then even the M50's to my ears, maybe even the SRH-840s from Shure. The bass on the DJ100 is the best i've heard I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back