Cheap E4c's...
Nov 10, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 11
The actual selling price for the Shures is much lower than MSRP. Look at Ebay (idealsound) for example. The same thing goes for Etymotic stuff.

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 11
eBay: 100 pounds shipped (within UK)

Definitely reliable. Seller has heaps and heaps of positive feedback (19934, 99.8% +ve)

Search E4c.

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrothead
The lowest I've seen the e4c's on ebay is like 174.99.

Yeah, that's 100 pounds.

Nov 10, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 11
Wow, I wasn't really asking where I could find them cheaper, but thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

The reason I asked is because when I asked a local hi-fi shop if they could match the price, they looked incredulous and said they themselves buy them in at more than 145, and pretty much told me that if they were selling them at that price I should be careful they weren't selling E3c's in E4c boxes!

Obviously, though, it's in their interests that I buy from them, so I suppose I should take what they say with a grain of salt.

You guys reckon that if I get them off eBay they'll come with Shure's 2-year warranty?

Nov 10, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 11
My friend bought ER6i from the same seller on ebay and they definately come with manufacturer's warranty. Just register on the etymotic.com and I think you get 1 year warranty (not great, but nonetherless better than the 90 day warranty). ER4 get 1 year w/o registration and 2 years w/ reg. Shures come with 2 year warranty.

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 11
I just bought a pair of (not-yet-shipped) E4 IEMs from Amazon for $179. They are being sold by Audio Advisor using a storefront on Amazon. They also have them directly on their website for the more usual $299 here.

According to Shure's website (state-by-state dealer listing), Audio Advisor is an authorized dealer (when I queried AA on the phone they also said they were authorized).

Amazon themselves are selling the E4c for $199.

E4 for $179

E4c for $199

Nov 13, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 11
eBay seller idealsound has a "submit best offer auction" for e4/e4c at any given time. I believe the lowest price I've seen them accept is $168 + S&H.

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 11
I bought mine online from Mercury Audio (£179.99). Service was very good (they came straight away by first class post). If, like me, you still feel unsure about buying high value goods from ebay, Mercury may be the answer because it is a 'proper shop' (based in N. London, I think) and so you have all the safeguards of the manufacturer's guarantee, the vendor's guarantee and, ultimately, the Sale of Goods Act and the local trading standards departments (not, as I said, that I needed any of those things).

I have been very pleased with my e4cs. I listen almost exclusively to classical music, mainly from my iPod, and find that I can close myself off both at work and at home. The real boon is being able to listen to music, containing many sound levels, on trains and the tube, without the volume being set to deafening (because the external sound attenuation of the triple flange ear pieces is so good). Any Londoner will know the appalling noise levels on the Victoria Line, between Victoria and Kings Cross, and one can even listen to music there!

There have been quite a few comments on the effect of the e4c's flat frequency response (a desirable feature) coupled with the low frequency roll-off of most iPods (a less desirable feature, because the e4c faithfully reproduces attenuated low frequency (bass) signals). Whilst that may be more of a problem for rock afficionados, I have not found it a significant issue with the music to which I listen. I am full of praise for my e4cs and would definitely buy them again.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all your advice guys.

I went for the £110 option and got them off eBay.

Now, I know this isn't the place to bring this kind of thing, but I've contacted the obvious channels (eBay and the seller) and just want to hear your take on the situation.

I received this e-mail from eBay yesterday:

The following listing:

5828007432 - SHURE E4c Earphones NEW 4 iPod video photo 30 60 40 GB

was removed because the intellectual property rights owner notified eBay that
the listing infringes its copyright, trade mark or other rights. Therefore we
strongly urge you not to complete the transaction.

You can get more information on eBay's cooperation with intellectual property
rights owners at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confide...rams-vero.html

If you have already sent your payment, there's a good chance that the situation
can be resolved. If you haven't received the item yet, you can email the seller
and ask for a refund of your payment.

If this can not be worked out amicably you may wish to contact your Bank or the
payment service provider, they may be in a position to reverse the payment.

If you have already paid for the item and you cannot satisfactorily resolve this
situation with the seller or retrieve your money, please go to the following
page for more information on how to resolve this situation:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/buying_safely.html

If you have paid for the item through PayPal, you may find the following page
useful:

/csg/p?http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/web...p-info-outside

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this issue.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc

Now, I have no idea what is going on. He certainly looked like a reputable seller (wind130 - powerseller, 99.8% feedback rating). Do you think it's possible that Shure contacted eBay because they weren't happy about how cheaply he was selling them, or that maybe they're fake?...

If that's the case, then I find it odd that eBay cancelled only the item that I bought -- why have they not removed all the other E4c's he's selling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back