Cheap DAC for Schiit Valhalla and HD600 + k501
Dec 28, 2011 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PatrickT

Head-Fier
I'm sure this type of thing has been asked a lot around here but with all of the different threads, it's hard to keep track.

I got a Schiit Valhalla amp for Christmas that I plan on using with Senn HD600s and AKG k501s. I want to use my computer, iPod and iPhone as a source (along with my nice CD player) and want a DAC to go along with it so I can bypass the line outs on each device.

My budget is around $100. Any recommendations for a stand alone DAC? I know pretty much nothing about DACs whatsoever :)

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My budget is around $100. Any recommendations for a stand alone DAC? I know pretty much nothing about DACs whatsoever :)

Thanks!

Clearly - they cost more than $100.....

I think you should save for the BiFrost. Yes, you can get something portable from iBasso or Fiio that will 'get you started', but you will soon want more. One way or another, we end up spending the money, and the BiFrost isnt that much more than you already have allocated.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Clearly - they cost more than $100.....

I think you should save for the BiFrost. Yes, you can get something portable from iBasso or Fiio that will 'get you started', but you will soon want more. One way or another, we end up spending the money, and the BiFrost isnt that much more than you already have allocated.

I agree.

At the $100 price point you'll only get subtle differences, if any. IMO of course.

To get noticeable changes you're going to have to spend a bit more. At what price point is the hard part of deciding. I think matching up the Bifrost with the Valhalla is a smart choice. It'll look a lot cooler stacking two similar products next to each other as a small bonus.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies, but I can't justify spending much over $100 at this point. I want to be able to use the amp and headphones with my laptop, desktop pc and iPod.

I was looking at the Creative X-Fi HD USB card...looks pretty decent it seems, from the reviews I've seen. And at $89, it seems like a good deal. With a card like that, I'd be able to use it with anything I want to.

Any other options?

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 6
iBasso D7 - line-out into your amp
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=73

Fiio seem to release a new DAC/amp every week, and a lot of their portables are under $100 - have at it:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=37&MenuID=020301

The key here is 'line-out' - the only DACs you will encounter at that price range will be geared for USB, so you don't have to worry about that end of the chain.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 6
Awesome, thanks for the reply. 

There are three products I'm looking at now that have a line-out function. The Fiio E10, iBasso D-Zero and the Creative X-Fi HD USB. Any idea which is the "best"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back