Cheap bit-perfect spdif coxial soundcard found :)
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gyrodec

100+ Head-Fier
I was just browsing NewEgg soundcards while a process finiished on my machine and I found this: Newegg.com - DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

According to the reviews, if you download the CMedia drivers off the web its bit-perfect. It has real RCA spdif sockets and its only about $25.

Just though you all should know, because I remember people asking what card and I didn't remember anybody suggesting this one. If you know of any issues, please post them as I'm thinking of picking one of these up based on what I just read.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrodec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just browsing NewEgg soundcards while a process finiished on my machine and I found this: Newegg.com - DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

According to the reviews, if you download the CMedia drivers off the web its bit-perfect. It has real RCA spdif sockets and its only about $25.

Just though you all should know, because I remember people asking what card and I didn't remember anybody suggesting this one. If you know of any issues, please post them as I'm thinking of picking one of these up based on what I just read.

It only does 16bit though - so as I understand it, it will downsample a 24-bit recording.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 12
more like 14 actually
biggrin.gif
: Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers - Hydrogenaudio Forums

that was on the CMI8738, but don't trust C-Media
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 12
This thread is awesome.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 12
indeed ...

gyrodec, having bit perfect driver does not make the sound good ...
This card would only be worth for its SPDIF out, and if you connect the headphones to it, make sure you have a DAC and headamp in between.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed ...

This card would only be worth for its SPDIF out, and if you connect the headphones to it, make sure you have a DAC and headamp in between.

aww man, there's always a catch with this audio stuff...

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed ...

Your right about that.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by metreonfuture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how good is the sound quality from the headphone spdif out on this thing? i have xp

You try to listen to a digital audio stream (S/PDIF) using a headphone? Good luck!
wink.gif

You will at least need to convert the digital audio signal to analog using a DAC, then run the analog through a headphone amplifier. The end result will highly depend on the quality of these units.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You try to listen to a digital audio stream (S/PDIF) using a headphone? Good luck!
wink.gif

But what about the "digital" headphones I saw at the store?
tongue.gif

On the other hand I played some DTS-encoded music files through my DAC and THAT was rather informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back