Cheap amps that can drive AKG K701
Mar 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #46 of 52
They work fine with the FiiO E5. No really, they do.......

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #47 of 52
There is a very good reason why choosing an amp for K701/2 has turned into a riddle. Not only the amp has to deliver just the right power considering the impedance of this headphone but also it should sound neutral and transparent -- match the sound of K701/2.

The ideal amp for K701 from my experience divers an output of 3.5v (which is 200mw at 62ohms. 200mw is maximum power input recommended by AKG for K701/2.) It should sound neutral and transparent with a low noise floor and fed by a high quality and neutral/transparent source.

That is the outline and once those factors are achieved at least by 90%, the listener will turn into a K701/2 fanatic.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ideal amp for K701 from my experience divers an output of 3.5v (which is 200mw at 62ohms. 200mw is maximum power input recommended by AKG for K701/2.) It should sound neutral and transparent with a low noise floor and fed by a high quality and neutral/transparent source.

That is the outline and once those factors are achieved at least by 90%, the listener will turn into a K701/2 fanatic.

So, I've heard the K701 though a neutral, transparent source, properly powered. The source was neutral, because it was the actual SOURCE. I'm talking about hearing the K701 in a recording studio.

I am not a K701 fanatic, as you stated I would be. It's really great for some things. But you kind of go way over the line with your fanboyism, which would be fine, except you refuse to acknowledge it as such.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've heard the K701 though a neutral, transparent source, properly powered. The source was neutral, because it was the actual SOURCE. I'm talking about hearing the K701 in a recording studio.

I am not a K701 fanatic, as you stated I would be. It's really great for some things. But you kind of go way over the line with your fanboyism, which would be fine, except you refuse to acknowledge it as such.

I'm posting to help people who own this headphone and you're trolling me with nonsense?

You have listened to K701 in some studio and now you're suddenly an expert on them, right?

Move on and buy some real cans.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm posting to help people who own this headphone and you're trolling me with nonsense?

You have listened to K701 in some studio and now you're suddenly an expert on them, right?

Move on and buy some real cans.

No, what I'm talking about is you refuse to believe that anybody can dislike the K701 unless their gear is flawed or they flat out can't hear. I'm not saying I'[m an expert on the K701, I'm saying I've heard it properly powered through a source that was, by definition, neutral. I didn't like it. I am content to leave it at that, but you flip to saying things like "if listened to properly, you WILL become a K701 fanatic." There are a lot of head-fiers who have heard the K701 on some really amazing gear and they didn't like them.

I don't even dislike them, I just don't think they're some sort of headphone nirvana, just so long as you find THE PERFECT SETUP. I think they have their issues, regardless of your setup.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #51 of 52
When I had my 701s, I bought an LD 1+ based on recommendations here...It drove them with ease. However, the stock tubes left a lot to be desired. I believe they were responsible for a fairly high noise floor but I can't verify this as I never rolled to anything better before I sold it. I would think you can pick up one here for around $100 - that's what I sold mine for.

If I recall correctly, 701s require high current. The hybrid design of the LD 1+ delivers the current with its SS output.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #52 of 52
I thought of getting the FiiO5 or 7 for my agk701 for my mp3/ipod for on the road use is the fiio7 alot bette than the fiio5? since fiio5 is about only one fifth of the price of the fiio7. thanks for the replies beforehand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back