Cheap amp for Beyers DT990 600 ohms? (ebay?) EDIT: Schiit Magni+Modi?
Jul 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GirgleMirt

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, just picked up a pair of Beyerdynamics DT990s a bit on a whim when I stumbled on them on sale.  So being 600 ohms, I think they'd definitely benefit from a headphone amp as they'd probably end up being powered by a computer's integrated soundcard...  Now, when I picked them up, I thought I'd just buy a 100$ chinese amp from ebay (<100$ Bravo tube amp comes to mind), and although there's quite a few there, I'm really not so sure which to pick up or if they're actually good choices...  I'm definitely not looking into something in the 400$ range or above, I guess 200 might even be pushing it...  Any suggestions or recommendations? 

Oh, and I think USB connection would be a plus (and probably the preferable connection?), and I did see some quite affordable digital amps with headphone jacks on them, would these be sufficient? 

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hi, just picked up a pair of Beyerdynamics DT990s a bit on a whim when I stumbled on them on sale.  So being 600 ohms, I think they'd definitely benefit from a headphone amp as they'd probably end up being powered by a computer's integrated sound card...  Now, when I picked them up, I thought I'd just buy a 100$ Chinese amp from eBay (<100$ Bravo tube amp comes to mind), and although there's quite a few there, I'm really not so sure which to pick up or if they're actually good choices...  I'm definitely not looking into something in the 400$ range or above, I guess 200 might even be pushing it...  Any suggestions or recommendations? 
Oh, and I think USB connection would be a plus (and probably the preferable connection?), and I did see some quite affordable digital amps with headphone jacks on them, would these be sufficient?

The Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCI-E) internal sound card ($175) would be a good everything in one package (DAC & Amp) for using with the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm (I use that combo).

For an external head amp. the Schiit Magni ($99) would be simpler then the tube amp.
(Some of those low cost tube amps need to have the voltage adjusted for best output and balance, a $7 DT830 digital multi-meter to test voltage)

A Schiit Magni amp ($99) and Schiit Modi USB DAC ($99) should provide really good audio quality.

A Asus Xonar DG sound card (Used, $20) could serve as a low cost DAC.

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Very interesting thanks! :D That definitely looks like a good option! I'll definitely try to read more about it tonight but it looks like a great choice!

So the ebay options are not that great? Examples:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Y-Class-A-12-6-series-6N11-12AU7-Tube-valve-Hybrid-Headphone-Amplifier-amp-/400523260598?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item5d410bf2b6
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAVO-AUDIO-BRAVO-V2-CLASS-A-TUBE-DRIVEN-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-US-SALE-SHIP-NEW-/231010979001?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item35c953ccb9
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Indeed-G3-Headphone-Tube-Pre-Amplifier-ECC82EH-Class-A-/250876544522?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3a6968460a
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/o2-Objective2-Headphone-Amp-in-Black-brushed-aluminium-12m-Warranty-In-UK-/161060358434?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item257ff20922
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SMSL-SD-793II-DAC-DIR9001-PCM1793-OPA2134-Coax-Optical-Input-Headphone-Amp-S-/300869544591?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item460d38ea8f

There's so many different models, but the first 3 seems to be somewhat similar and they look to be made by the same manufacturer, but really the number of amps there is overwhelming... I don't know, I guess you can very often get some good ebay deals, I just have no idea if buying a 'random' ebay headphone amp a good idea or not... Is there no gems in there, and it's simply better to go for a brand nme like the Magni above? Any other amp I should check out?

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm doing some research and in fact the Bravo amps seem to be pretty decent for the money (<100$), not incredible/amazing, but fairly good, some have used it on the 600 ohms 990s with good success, but replacing its power supply with a more solid one seems to improve it a bit. The Schiit Magni's cheapest shipping option to Canada is 34$ though which kinda sucks vs the 13$ for domestic shipping :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 11
well, sorry to keep bumping my thread :p but I remember my experience with audio quality out of my old laptop computer, and I'm thinking that getting a Schiit Modi (USB DAC) might be in order, it also offsets a bit the shipping costs as the shipping goes up from 34 to 38$, but it does bring the total cost from 134 to 238 though... lol Although the sound from my main computer did seem decent from little I've heard (I've not really used it a s a source much for headphones...). Decisions decisions decisions... :confused:

Again, thoughts?

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
well, sorry to keep bumping my thread :p but I remember my experience with audio quality out of my old laptop computer, and I'm thinking that getting a Schiit Modi (USB DAC) might be in order, it also offsets a bit the shipping costs as the shipping goes up from 34 to 38$, but it does bring the total cost from 134 to 238 though... lol Although the sound from my main computer did seem decent from little I've heard (I've not really used it a s a source much for headphones...). Decisions decisions decisions...
confused.gif

I really only hear good things said about the Magni + Modi combo.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Hijacking this thread as I currently have those headphones and the Essence STX and just wondering if it' be worthwile to get a proper external amp(not super expensive,<200$) over the one in the STX?

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Hijacking this thread as I currently have those headphones and the Essence STX and just wondering if it' be worthwhile to get a proper external amp(not super expensive,<200$) over the one in the STX?

I do use a very low impedance amplifier (O2) plugged into the STX RCA jacks, for when I want to use lower impedance (40-Ohm) headphones.
Otherwise I would think buying an external might be worth it for like a $235 Little Tube MkIII.
Also the STX can not send Headphone Surround Sound thru STX's line-out (RCA) jacks, so you may not want to use the RCAs for movies or surround sound gaming.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I do use a very low impedance amplifier (O2) plugged into the STX RCA jacks, for when I want to use lower impedance (40-Ohm) headphones.
Otherwise I would think buying an external might be worth it for like a $235 Little Tube MkIII.
Also the STX can not send Headphone Surround Sound thru STX's line-out (RCA) jacks, so you may not want to use the RCAs for movies or surround sound gaming.

Not listening to movies and usualy game with my speakers,so I guess I won't miss much

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Not listening to movies and usually game with my speakers,so I guess I won't miss much

I do like the sound of music (Foobar2000) using the ATH-A900X headphones, plugged into the O2, plugged into the STX.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 11
I bought a pair of the 600 ohm 990's several years ago and went with a cheap Chinese Xiang Sheng valve amp.  It sounded good from the box. I then started upgrading the amp and have rebuilt it with high quality components in many stages.  Every upgrade made a clearly audible improvement using the Beyers.  They are the best passive headphone I've heard and deserve quality amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back