Cheap 2.0 Computer Speakers
May 14, 2007 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
I looked around and not too surprisingly couldn't find anything to answer this question. Anyway, my grandma just got her new computer setup but has no speakers. She was just going to go to Best Buy or something but I know she won't get anything good there. The budget is probably like $50 and it needs to be 2.0 and self-powered -- even cheaper would be preferable if possible. Anything decent out there?

May 14, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't know if anyone around here really has experience with speakers at that pricerage, I would suggest asking around a more computer orientated site like arstechnia or anandtech (the two with the best forums imho).

I can at least try to answer your question though.

1. The 2.1 version of this has recieved good reviews in the past. Of course there are three things to keep in mind here. First, you are probably paying a premium for the Klipsch name. Second, if they are the same speakers as from the 2.1 model they might actuially be worse then some of the other "dedicated" 2.0 solutions since they might be somewhat tuned for a lowpass filter. Of course the opposite could also be true. Third, It's out of your price range slightly, but might be worth it.

2. If you are looking for a band name, I was actuially incredibly plesently surprised by the sound quality out of my $25 Cyber Acoustics headset I had to buy at Best Buy (it was an emergancy). This obviously doesn't mean much, but at least someone at CA knows something about audio.

3. A used bookshelf system might be a better alternative.

EDIT : About 5-6 years ago Klipsch Promedia 2.1 was considered the king of 2.1 systems. They were discontinued a while ago and replaced with a newer but almost universally considered inferior model. Froogle is picking up a few around $70. I believe these were somewhere between $125 and $200 new. If it can be 2.1 and not absolutly must be 2.0, I would consider these.

May 15, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 9
I like the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system very much, GOBS of power, decent sound and you can get them pretty cheap now. I DON'T like the noisy volume control, which they won't fix for free. They want to sell you a new pre-amp module for what the the whole system is worth.

May 15, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Klipsch's 2.1 systems seem like the only safe bet for uber-budget computer speakers anymore. I'm a Boston Acoustics fan when it comes to those; perhaps you could look for a used set--they usually sell for far under $100.

May 16, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 9
You could always get those Insignia bookshelf speakers from best Buy and hook them to a 2nd hand stereo receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always get those Insignia bookshelf speakers from best Buy and hook them to a 2nd hand stereo receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have a link? I've heard a lot about these but still am not sure specifically what product people are talking about.

May 16, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Best Buy - Insignia NS-B2111.

At one point, they were down to ~$40, then BB saw that they were selling well and relisted them with a MSRP of $79.98. For the current price, there are few speakers that sound as decent, but they don't compare with what one might find for a little more money. So, super-budget recommendation only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back