Chasing a Unicorn????
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sportster44

Head-Fier
Well, it's only been 8 years between posts for me.
Coming from a Sony ZX1 and Shure SE530s for the last 8 years. Recently upgraded the IEMS to Shure Aonic 5 and Wow, has technology changed. Sadly though, my ZX1 is on it's last legs and I'm in the market to replace it.

Looking at the current DAPs, I'm seeing alot of Android based devices (ZX507, Fiio M11, etc) all with out dated OS on them.
Got to thinking that I could use my phone as a transport and use a DAC/amp for the music. Yields a modern up to date device in the phone and DAC, and either is easily swapped out based on age, etc.

BUT...... with the right DAC can a phone sound as good as a dedicated DAP? Starting with a Note 20 Ultra, and UAPP, and of course the Aonic 5. Music is generally jazz, blues, 80's rock and pop.
The Unicorn is can I get a sound signature similar to a Sony, with a larger soundstage and better clarity than the ZX1?

Considering the Ifi Gryphon as a DAC/amp (amp not really needed I know)....any other suggestions/recommendations in terms of finding my unicorn?

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 3
I think your situation analysis is spot on. With the Android DAPs you buy into a system that will become outdated over time. I bought a Sony NW-ZX2 once and it was a pita to get an old TIDAL app installed, and then it was laggy and you never know how long it will be supported.

A portable DAC/Amp is not as convenient due to stacking with your phone but it should work with future phones and as such is a more long time investment. For pure SQ the CHORD Mojo and the new to be released (in 3 days) Mojo 2 are prime contenders IMO. The custom CHORD DACs have a very natural sound which sounds kind of "analog" and smooth. If you step up to the Hugo 2 you get a high end DAC/Amp in a transportable package, with very high definition and texture. But many still prefer the more euphonic warm and smooth Mojo sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back