Channel Islands VHP-1 First Impressions
Jan 30, 2005 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jeff

100+ Head-Fier
Channel Islands Audio VHP-1 Initital Impressions

Channel Islands Audio makes very simple, mid-range equipment. On opening the package, you can see that first hand. The headphone amp is very a sturdy build with a large volume control, a gain switch, and line in and loop out RCAs on the back.

Using a Sony 775 CD/SACD player, Grado RS-1 headphones, and Boulder Cable interconnects, I plugged the large wall wart in, and heard almost dead silence. The noise floor is very low, and very close to the HR Cosmic Ref. Turing the pot around the dial, I heard some static bits, but it seemed to go away once I got the wipers moving.

Using a pop recording, Flogging Molly's "Within a Mile" CD, the first thing I noticed was imaging. Drums were bottom center, vocals were center, and everything else was just foward of left/right channels. Not a reference recording, but this CD does contain plenty of highs and lows, from bass to fiddles. The amp held very well from mid-range frequency down. It was very warm, and clear. Now, it wasn't "quick", as say the Cosmic is, but I think that adds to the fullness. Higher frequencies were weren't as apparent, yet still retained detail, just not presence.

Overall, a very full sound, from about 3 to 4 hours of play time.

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for posting. I've been curious about this amp since I first saw it mentioned in a thread here. I've been hoping someone would offer listening impressions. Nice brief writeup.

Have you had the opportunity to try it with something lie one of the Senns? I'd be curious to know how it handles a higher impedance can.

Regards,

BW

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't have Senns anymore, only the Grados. I'm sure power wouldn't be a problem, and there's a gain switch for higher load phones. I remember reading that the designer of the gear had used many differing types of phones. So far the amp has been very fun and musical, even more so than the Cosmic.

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Glad you're liking our headphone amp. Give it about 100 hours of break in time and it should be sounding pretty nice. The bass will improve and highs will sweeten up a bit.

-Dusty-

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
...Have you had the opportunity to try it with something lie one of the Senns? I'd be curious to know how it handles a higher impedance can.

Regards,

BW

The VHP-1 drives my HD580 just fine. I don't even engage the gain button, since it puts out more than enough volume for me (I listen with the dial at roughly 40%).

In fact, I like it so much, I haven't started building the rest of my MINTs and PIMETAs... I keep spending my (very limited) free time listening to music
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back