Channel Islands VDA-2
Sep 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

grmnasasin0227

100+ Head-Fier
Can anybody tell me anything about this tank?

http://www.ciaudio.com/products/VDA2

It seems like it fits the price range for decent entry/midrange DACs, but I haven't heard any mention of it on this forum, most of the hubbub is about the upcoming Bifrost, A-GD stuff, etc.

How does it stack up with the "usual" picks that most people have here?

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 8
I had one quite some time back and loved it.  Most folks seem to feel it performs at a level well above it's price.
Plus, the build quality is top notch.  I replaced it with a much more expensive unit (Lavry DA11).
The VDA-2 is an excellent DAC, but no USB input though if you're interested in that.
FYI - I believe CIAudio has a new DAC coming out soon that supports USB.   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93103.0

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I quite like my VDA-2 / VAC-1.  I have it paired with a self built Bijou OTL tube amp.  They make nice sound together.  I don't feel I'm missing anything.  When I was shopping for a DAC, the few reviews that I saw claimed the VDA-2 was as good or better than the Benchmark DAC 1 and PS DL III.  The Channel Islands stuff is made in the U.S., or at least it still was the last time I looked.  It is compact and nice looking.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I quite like my VDA-2 / VAC-1.  I have it paired with a self built Bijou OTL tube amp.  They make nice sound together.  I don't feel I'm missing anything.  When I was shopping for a DAC, the few reviews that I saw claimed the VDA-2 was as good or better than the Benchmark DAC 1 and PS DL III.  The Channel Islands stuff is made in the U.S., or at least it still was the last time I looked.  It is compact and nice looking.

Thanks for reminding me, I had a similar experience when shopping for a DAC back then -- I compared the PS DLIII and VDA-2 and kept the VDA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back