changing 1/8" tip on a pair of headphones?
Sep 9, 2003 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I may have to change the 1/8" tip on a pair of used Sony V6's here in the near future. I haven't received them yet, and it the 1/8" tip may just need cleaning, but if by chance I need to change the tip, how difficult is that, and is there anywhere I can go for detailed instructions on how to do so?

thanks!
appar111

Sep 9, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 3
can be tricky, the actual wire inside can be extremely thin. You will also need to determine which wire goes where. The simplest way is probably to cut the wire an inch from the old connector, strip the wires on the connector and use a meter to find which color goes where.

Someone else might know more about your particular headphones.

Sep 9, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 3
From the Headwize FAQ...

Quote:

The wires in Sony headphone cords are insulated with a lacquer coating, which must be removed to make an electrical connection. Most low-wattage soldering irons are NOT hot enough to vaporize the coating. Here are some options:

# Dip the wires in alcohol and ignite with a match. The ignited alcohol should burn off the insulation. (Note: I have received email that merely heating the wires with a match or cigarette lighter (without any alcohol) works equally well.)
# Put the wires on an aspirin tablet and apply a soldering iron to the wire and aspirin until the aspirin melts. Aspirin is an acid that should dissolve the insulation.
# Try a high voltage soldering iron if available which will burn off the insulation while soldering
# Use a pocket knife to gently scrape off the insulation
# Dip the wires with a lacquer solvent until the coating dissolves

With any method involving a solvent, make sure there is adequate ventilation and avoid inhaling any vapors released by the process. After burning or dissolving the insulation, wipe the wires clean of any residue before soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back