Changed the ear pads on my DT 990 Beyer Pro and noticed something wierd.
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

fustrun

Head-Fier
So i've changed the ear pads on my Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro  because the old ones were all sweaty and basically worn out, i'm pretty sure I've changed them right and there is not much room for error anyways but now they sound completely different . . . somewhere in the low freq 200-400hz it's just a mess, like i have bass boost turned on or something, the soundscape sounds larger though now, but that's basically because they pads are new and holding the ear further away from the speakers . . or so i'm guessing, but the bass is really freaking me out . . have anyone experience anything similar ?

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 30
To me, that's normal. I found the bass ridiculous when I had them (600 ohm Prem tho). If you want to have some fun, look for a pair of DT770 pads. It has denser foam so the bass is way more focused. They become bass howitzers and kick like a mule.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 30
But it wasn't like that when they were brand new or even before i changed the pads . . it makes no sense . .

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 30
Sounds like the worn pads were changing the normal sound and what you have now is the way it's supposed to be. If you look at the graph of a 990 you see raised bass. Sounds like what you need is an 880.

graphCompare.php

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 30
so weird . . so the worn ear pads positioned my ear closer to the speakers and made it sound the way they were . . i'm pretty sure they didn't sound like this when i first bought them but i guess i could never know now . .

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 30
I don't think so, i'm pretty sure i bought the right ones . . but i have to admit they do look seriously alike . .
But the wierd thing is the same thing happened with my brothers headphones . . and i could have not bought the wrong ones twice . .

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 30
Make sure its not the EDT-770V 
The EDT-990Vs have a soft foam , after break in your ears get closer to the driver which might affect the bass response , so it is possible but if you think its really off ...it might be the ED-770V 

The EDT-770V is stiffer compared to the 990V - for reference 

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 30
They seriously sound so bad right now . . i can't believe this is the way they sounded when i bought them . . . i'm pretty sure i used the right ear pads . .
I was in the middle of mixing a project but everything sounds so different , , oh man am i in a pickle now . . :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 30
Any suggestions for good earphones for mixing ?
I'm in a real jam here and need some advice, anything good and popular and most importantly flat out there ?

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 30
Thank you for the suggestion but i want full sized ear phones.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 30
  They seriously sound so bad right now . . i can't believe this is the way they sounded when i bought them . . . i'm pretty sure i used the right ear pads . .
I was in the middle of mixing a project but everything sounds so different , , oh man am i in a pickle now . . :frowning2:

You didn't buy those cheap Chinese pads, by any chance? The $10 ones? They've got no holes in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back