Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #601 of 1,326

M8 in Rabat, Morocco...

This reminds me of the early days of the iPhone when people took pics of their iPhones around the world. If the M8 is one tenth as successful, Michael Goodman will be feeling on top of the world.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #602 of 1,326
I just upgraded to IOS7 a few days ago and noticed that the M8 doesn't charge the iPhone while it is being used as a source anymore.  I can see the battery power slowly go down.  

In IOS6, the iPhone 4S still seemed to charge from the M8.  Anyone else having the same issue?  My battery life with IOS7 and no M8 has been about the same since the upgrade so this is the only thing I've noticed that has changed.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #603 of 1,326
Just ordered my M8 from TTVJ--it'll arrive within a week. I can't wait to test it out with my HD800 :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #604 of 1,326
Just ordered my M8 from TTVJ--it'll arrive within a week. I can't wait to test it out with my HD800
smily_headphones1.gif

A week?

Someday I'll be a week from getting mine...

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #605 of 1,326
  I just upgraded to IOS7 a few days ago and noticed that the M8 doesn't charge the iPhone while it is being used as a source anymore.  I can see the battery power slowly go down.  

In IOS6, the iPhone 4S still seemed to charge from the M8.  Anyone else having the same issue?  My battery life with IOS7 and no M8 has been about the same since the upgrade so this is the only thing I've noticed that has changed.

Ignore me.  I misunderstood how the iDevice functionality worked.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #607 of 1,326
TTVJ has them in stock. You could even choose overnight schipping to enjoy your M8 tomorrow, if you so desire.

I already have one on order; a pre ordered unit.  I more shocked TTVJ still has units in stock...

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #608 of 1,326
First plane ride w/ my M8 (XL4 edition) turned into demo time!!

This young couple sitting across from me were intrigued by the unit sitting atop my seat tray,
so I played them some tunes I knew were uncompressed from my library on my iPod Classic...

Then - I let them both try it with their own iPhones (this really jacked em up)!!
They were in sonic heaven, and had no idea these types of devices existed before then!

What a BLAST

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #609 of 1,326
Sorry for the OT question, but how would you say your MDs isolate in comparison to ANC units? I'm considering purchasing a pair based on your glowing reviews of the M8/Mad Dog combo.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #610 of 1,326
I already have one on order; a pre ordered unit.  I more shocked TTVJ still has units in stock...

It turns out I have you wrong information--their next batch is arriving next week, but all orders made should be fulfilled.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #611 of 1,326
I finally have mine!  I drove to pick it up since I was too impatient to wait for shipping :)  Was hard to focus on the road on the way back since all I wanted to do is tear open the package and start playing with the M8.

I have only had a short listen with my DT660s, but so far everything I had hoped for with this pairing has been spot on.  Compared to my Nuforce HDP, I do feel like I am getting a better soundstage with better positioning of instruments.  The first notch on the bass boost is what the doctor ordered to take these surprising headphones from fantastic for classical to quite good as an all rounder.  I might end up keeping these and sell off my modded T50RPs now.

Will report back as I test with HD800 and my IEMs.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #612 of 1,326
  I finally have mine!  I drove to pick it up since I was too impatient to wait for shipping :)  Was hard to focus on the road on the way back since all I wanted to do is tear open the package and start playing with the M8.

I have only had a short listen with my DT660s, but so far everything I had hoped for with this pairing has been spot on.  Compared to my Nuforce HDP, I do feel like I am getting a better soundstage with better positioning of instruments.  The first notch on the bass boost is what the doctor ordered to take these surprising headphones from fantastic for classical to quite good as an all rounder.  I might end up keeping these and sell off my modded T50RPs now.

Will report back as I test with HD800 and my IEMs.

Haha!  Feels good to have it, doesn't it!

I'll be interested in your HD800 pairing impression as well as with IEM's.  For me it is serviceable with IEM's.  If I was going to use it frequently with IEM's, I'd be looking at the mod.  That is not my use of th HIFI-M8 though.  I wanted something that pulled digital from an iPod, that I could easily pack around, and that would drive anything I was likely to throw at it.  It fits that bill perfectly for me.  IEM's mean traveling light for me - phone or iPod and the iems.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #613 of 1,326
  Haha!  Feels good to have it, doesn't it!

I'll be interested in your HD800 pairing impression as well as with IEM's.  For me it is serviceable with IEM's.  If I was going to use it frequently with IEM's, I'd be looking at the mod.  That is not my use of th HIFI-M8 though.  I wanted something that pulled digital from an iPod, that I could easily pack around, and that would drive anything I was likely to throw at it.  It fits that bill perfectly for me.  IEM's mean traveling light for me - phone or iPod and the iems.

It feels soooo good :)  Definitely worth the wait.  

So far with the Westone W4R, there is a hiss with no music playing, but it is not alot and definitely not intrusive once music starts.  I'm pretty sure it won't bother me, especially since, like you, I am more likely to go IEM straight out of a phone or iPod than out of the M8.  While it loses some detail to the W4R, I almost like my Shure SE215 better than them out of the M8.  With one notch on the treble boost, the SE215 just sound a little bit more fun.  Bass is strong for both IEMs out of the M8, and no need for the bass boost so far.

The HD800 sounds very good.  I'd venture to say excellent, but I need to finish the rebuild of my S.E.X. to compare to a baseline that I am fond of.  One notch on the bass boost and I am reveling in how good the HD800s sound with both Daft Punk's latest album as well as some string quartets in HD from 2L.

My Nuforce HDP is no slouch and I still think it is one of the best values in this hobby, but it is outclassed by the M8 and will be put up for sale once I re-case it.

Embarrassingly, I haven't finished my new balanced cable for the HD800s yet, so I haven't tested it balanced.  Might be a week or two before I get the time to finish it up.

Suffice to say, I am very, very pleased with the sound I get out of the M8.  The great dilemma now is the source.  There will most likely be few times that I would be using the M8 when not near my laptop, my Note II requires UARP to work which doesn't allow me to listen to any of my mp3s (still quite a number of them) nor Pandora (primary background listening service), and I hate to own another device like an iPod (which would allow mp3 and Pandora with the M8).  

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #614 of 1,326
Listening balanced now with my Momentums.  Man, this M8 is a great device.  One notch on the treble switch and these are the perfect complement to the HD800s when I move away from classical.  Bass hits nice and hard without getting too flabby.  Opens them up a little bit, too.

I really should be getting some work done, but it is so hard at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back