Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #452 of 1,326
The Windows drivers are driving me crazy (pun not intended).
Is there any way to make them work seamlessly with WASAPI in foobar?
The M8 will not accept the stream unless it matches the sample rate setting in the CEntrance Control Panel.
Using ASIO works but there is a delay when switching between tracks with different sample rates.
ASIO is able to change the sample rate setting in the control panel automatically but when I go back to Spotify, it bugs out and I am unable to play anything unless I reset the settings back to 44.1 KHz and restart Spotify.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #453 of 1,326
Quote:
Thanks, the reason now I am leaning towards either the Alpha Dog or the LCD3 is that I HATE to pay extra for custom balance cable for the HD800, and both AD and LCD3 comes with the 4 pin XLR plug by default for my LX 4XL.  Although I do like closed back better, I think I rather pay more and do it right the first time.

I wonder how Audeze's closed back prototypes are coming along.  It sounds like that's what you would really want...

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #454 of 1,326
Quote:
Sorry to hear.  You'd be missing out!  To be brutally honest, I'm not sure why it would be any different.
Like I said, my GUESS is simply that in order to meet Apple's guidelines for a Made for iPod iPhone iPad product - perhaps they don't allow for this kinda of audio trickery - as with my version you just use the iDevice input.

Perhaps @MGoodman could shine some light on this.

But lemme say, as I will in my upcoming review in full:

The CEntrance HiFi-M8 is FAR ahead of other portable DAC/hphone amp combos I've tried in terms of sheer dynamic clarity and punch.  It's transient velocity is staggeringly fast, and it's as transparent as they come - but with MORE, CLEAN, power.  It's like carrying the power of a desktop unit with you.  And I own (and love) a Sony PHA-1, ALO International, Ray Samuels Intruder, (and others)!!

I wouldn't let something like that hold you back, personally.
Reach out to CEntrance, I'm sure they have a solution for you.

Look at all the features they built-in because of their consistent communication with Head-Fiers throughout the course of the project!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried iPad -> CCK -> International?  I thought ALO touted that you could play through the on board DAC, because it was self powered...

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #455 of 1,326
Quote:

I wonder how Audeze's closed back prototypes are coming along.  It sounds like that's what you would really want...

That would be ideal.  And if that's the case I might just get the Alpha Dog now before it comes out later, but I do think the LCD3 is a much more complete package with its tough case and pad options plus 2 cables.  Any idea on their timeline for the closed back release?

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #456 of 1,326
Quote:
That would be ideal.  And if that's the case I might just get the Alpha Dog now before it comes out later, but I do think the LCD3 is a much more complete package with its tough case and pad options plus 2 cables.  Any idea on their timeline for the closed back release?

Everything I've heard is they are going with, "Its done when its done".  And its still unclear if its more LCD2 or LCD3 level...

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #457 of 1,326
The CCK should be able to pass 24/96 as once measured, since the 16 + 8x0 limitation would be from the iPad's iOS, not its connection.

To reinforce barbes' findings, the iPad USB CCK to M8 connection should work without the need for a powered/unpowered USB hub, because the M8 is a self-powered DAC/amp, so all it requires is audio data signal from the iPad.   This would be true for both M8 versions, since the USB data input circuitry is the same for both of them.  I'm not even sure if it's worthwhile reverifying for the LX. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #458 of 1,326
I am sure hope one of you that has an iPad with CCK and the LX won't mind doing a quick test for us.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #460 of 1,326
Mine's here!  Battery was stone dead - power switch was in one of the on positions, so no listening impressions for a while (and I am at work....).  Arrived double boxed in a plain white box, which I immediately put a gouge in the top of, using a metal ruler to cut the outer box tape.

So far:
1) Not quite as much a beast in size as I thought (feared), but none the less, (much) bigger than the average portable, though from what I can see, smaller than CLAS + ALO MKIII.  About 1/8" longer than my iPhone 4S in the biggest Mophie Juice pack and maybe 1/2" to 5/8" wider.  Definitely

2) Charger is a beast, Dell laptop charger would likely work if the charger pin was smaller.  The Dell Charger is 19V, 4.6 A or so.  Mr. Goodman, care to confirm if this would work, of a tip adapter or new tip were installed?

3) Dude.... NICE Rubber Bands!

OK, 3 minutes listening to DSOTM.  sounds great, filters are pretty subtle but noticeable.  On the HD650's, the impedance switch sounds the same in the first two positions, adds some noticeable bass weight on the 3rd postion.  I haven't decided yet if it also adds flab or not.  Low gain is plenty loud enough with the HD650's, medium is fine also.  High gain will not be useful to me with the HD650 or Mad Dogs.  Might be if I ever try to drive the HE6 or something, just to see what happens.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #461 of 1,326
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried iPad -> CCK -> International?  I thought ALO touted that you could play through the on board DAC, because it was self powered...

sorry to be off-topic - but I haven't tried that!
I will when my International comes back.
I lent it to a friend.

Wow - I think I reached a burn-in point for the HiFi-M8!
Things are sounding even more open w/ my Audeze LCD3's this afternoon!

Such an addictive piece of kit.

The new Nine Inch Nails record is truly infectious on this system!!!!

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #462 of 1,326
Quote:
Mine's here!  Battery was stone dead - power switch was in one of the on positions, so no listening impressions for a while (and I am at work....).  Arrived double boxed in a plain white box, which I immediately put a gouge in the top of, using a metal ruler to cut the outer box tape.

So far:
1) Not quite as much a beast in size as I thought (feared), but none the less, (much) bigger than the average portable, though from what I can see, smaller than CLAS + ALO MKIII.  About 1/8" longer than my iPhone 4S in the biggest Mophie Juice pack and maybe 1/2" to 5/8" wider.  Definitely

2) Charger is a beast, Dell laptop charger would likely work if the charger pin was smaller.  The Dell Charger is 19V, 4.6 A or so.  Mr. Goodman, care to confirm if this would work, of a tip adapter or new tip were installed?

3) Dude.... NICE Rubber Bands!

OK, 3 minutes listening to DSOTM.  sounds great, filters are pretty subtle but noticeable.  On the HD650's, the impedance switch sounds the same in the first two positions, adds some noticeable bass weight on the 3rd postion.  I haven't decided yet if it also adds flab or not.  Low gain is plenty loud enough with the HD650's, medium is fine also.  High gain will not be useful to me with the HD650 or Mad Dogs.  Might be if I ever try to drive the HE6 or something, just to see what happens.

Congrats!  Mine came with the power switch on too!  Luckily there was some battery power left (which Michael Goodman and I had a good laugh over) but 
@MGoodman - you got another one that arrived with the power engaged!  DAMN YOU!  LOL

Just kidding.

With as much fun as I'm having - there's alot of things I'd forgive at this point.
It's just me and the music.  Time to start working on the review

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #463 of 1,326
Hating you for it.  BTW are you using the XLR or single end cable for your LCD3?

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #464 of 1,326
Quote:
Hating you for it.  BTW are you using the XLR or single end cable for your LCD3?

Admittedly I'm using a single-ended cable more often on my LCD3 (but have used my 4-pin Audeze cable).
I prefer it via balanced w/ my Mad Dogs.

I'm using a single-ended cable w/ my LCD3's because I was approached recently by a cable manufacturer I have alot of respect for,
and they asked if I was interested in working on a headphone cable for the Audeze's together!!  A first for me (like a co-branded cable:
Their name/Sonic Satori cable).  We're working with prototypes now - and I'm VERY excited to get some beta testers lined up here on Head-Fi.

But I have experienced both as I said above.  The cable, thus far, has me VERY excited!  It's also a bit shorter, so it was PERFECT for the 
party on Saturday night (when I brought my HiFi-M8 and LCD3's).

I haven't done a great deal of A/Bing with the SE and balanced cable however on the LCD3 - because they're different cables entirely (meaning the build quality and all).
I do prefer the balanced option on my Mad Dogs and HD800's though - I experience greater separation and low end extension.  

I'm SO excited to take part in the development of a cable for the LCD3's guys!!!!
SORRY to get off-topic. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #465 of 1,326
Quote:
Admittedly I'm using a single-ended cable more often on my LCD3 (but have used my 4-pin Audeze cable).
I prefer it via balanced w/ my Mad Dogs.

I'm using a single-ended cable w/ my LCD3's because I was approached recently by a cable manufacturer I have alot of respect for,
and they asked if I was interested in working on a headphone cable for the Audeze's together!!  A first for me (like a co-branded cable:
Their name/Sonic Satori cable).  We're working with prototypes now - and I'm VERY excited to get some beta testers lined up here on Head-Fi.

But I have experienced both as I said above.  The cable, thus far, has me VERY excited!  It's also a bit shorter, so it was PERFECT for the 
party on Saturday night (when I brought my HiFi-M8 and LCD3's).

I haven't done a great deal of A/Bing with the SE and balanced cable however on the LCD3 - because they're different cables entirely (meaning the build quality and all).
I do prefer the balanced option on my Mad Dogs and HD800's though - I experience greater separation and low end extension.  

I'm SO excited to take part in the development of a cable for the LCD3's guys!!!!
SORRY to get off-topic. 

Oh boy that's nice!  Please keep me inform about the cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back