CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,246 of 1,412
Though planar headphones don't care so much about output impedance.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,247 of 1,412
  To All DACmini CX owners out there….

I just purchased one (the standard 10 ohm) to run my new AKG K7xx and it sounds amazing. 

My other 32 ohm headphones sound horrible with it though. Has anyone any experience with lower impedance planers like Alpha's, HiFiman's or Oppo? Looking to upgrade my closed HP's but worried that the lower impedance ones will not perform well.

Any advice welcome.

That has me a little concerned.. The guys at CEntrance convinced me to stick with the 10 ohm version for my AKG K7xx and Grados. Now I am thinking about not opening the box and returning..

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,248 of 1,412

I just purchased one (the standard 10 ohm) to run my new AKG K7xx and it sounds amazing. 

My other 32 ohm headphones sound horrible with it though. Has anyone any experience with lower impedance planers like Alpha's, HiFiman's or Oppo? Looking to upgrade my closed HP's but worried that the lower impedance ones will not perform well.

Any advice welcome.

When you say that the 32 ohm phones "sound horrible", can you elaborate on exactly what sound characteristics are problematic? And exactly which other headphones?

My Denon D2000 (25 ohms) and Audio-Technica ESW9 (42 ohms) sound great with the 10 ohm version of the DACmini. And the AKG KXX is awesome through it.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,249 of 1,412
I have both an NAD HP50 (37ohms) and HE500 (38 ohms) with a Dacmini and Dacport. I used them both at 10ohms for several years and modded them to 1ohm for the past 6 months. The differences are minimal and both headphones sounded great with either 10 ohm or 1ohm output.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,250 of 1,412

Definitely open the box. DACmini sounds awesome with the AKG and heaps of other headphones by the sounds of it. I also have NAD viso HP50 which are mainly for portable use so maybe DACmini is just too powerful for them. Great excuse to upgrade my closed headphones.

Enjoy the DACmini - you'll get a really rich and detailed sound from your AKG's for sure.

Happy listening.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #1,251 of 1,412

Any advice welcome.

SOLVED! Found out that it was actually the 6.3mm adapter that was causing the problem, when pushed in fully, it was not giving a proper sound. Have it half way out now and the NAD Visos sound good.

Apologies for the confusion and thanks for the help. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,252 of 1,412
blink.gif

A problem like that is usually a poor ground connection or something shorting, which leads to a very noticeable distortion or echo-like sound.

There's no way output impedance would ever create distorted sounds like that. The worst that a high output impedance can do is create a boost at impedance peaks (which are usually in the midbass ~80-100 Hz) with only a few specific headphones. People get far too bent out of shape over output impedance and think it affects more than it does.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,253 of 1,412
I got in on the recent Massdrop for the PX. Scheduled to arrive in a couple days. Can't wait!

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,254 of 1,412
I got my CX from the massdrop buy a few weeks ago and love it so far with DT800's 600 ohm (10-ohm model). Soo quiet and clear. I'll try to test it with some lower impedance cans and IEMs to see about that. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,255 of 1,412
Has anyone used the Dacmini (10 ohm) with the Grado PS1000? 

Is anyone running the dacmini in dac mode and find it to be on the bright side? I have mine paired with the WA7 and the dacmini dac provides more clarity but it feels a bit bright in comparison. I am using HD800 and PS1000

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,256 of 1,412
Has anyone here tried the Schiit Wyrd with the Dacmini? Mine does not work at all and I'm wondering if it might possibly be a faulty Wyrd (it works with some of my dacs, but not others).

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,257 of 1,412
Does the usb connect only accept 24/44.1 and not 16/44.1? Audirvana is saying the DAC only supports 24 bit. This is on a mac

--Update--
I found my answer. Centrance pads zeros. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,258 of 1,412
I had an issue with the PX and sent it back for repairs but after 1 week I still have not heard back from them even after they acknowledged receiving my unit.

I emailed them again to check but again no reply.

Is there any cause for concern and has anyone encountered this before?

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,259 of 1,412

Of special interest is whether the std and 1-ohm versions perform equally well for low-ish impedance cans such as these. If they do, then the choice between the std version and the 1-ohm option can be made based on one's personal preference for the std version's warmer sound vs. the 1-ohm's more neutral sound.  

What's not clear (to me, at least) is at what point headphone impedance is low enough to call for the 1-ohm option.  Does the 8:1 rule-of-thumb not apply?  Is the answer known, or is this a hazy issue?

A bit old this post........

I have the 10 Ohm version. With some low impedance headphones the bass can sound a bit loose, not well controlled.
I made this experience with the Ultrasones Sig Pro and ED12 ( around 30 Ohm ). Changing from the Dacmini to the Meier Corda Classic amp ( 0-1 Ohm app. ) the difference is quite obvious.

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,260 of 1,412
I just hopped in on the current CX Massdrop sale.

Quick question I will be using the CX with both my senn 650 and jh13 pro fp. I'm assuming I should go with the 1 ohm mod? Will it effect sound with the 650?

Regarding variable output I intend to use the CX line out into the upcoming Cavalli liquid carbon. Is it better to go for the variable output mod or not? I was thinking that it would be better not to as it may cause degradation of signal, etc. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back