CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
May 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #271 of 1,412

Quote:
So, I've heard this pairs well with the LCD-2. I'd love to hear some first hand accounts...

Read through this thread, there's already quite a few impressions with the LCD-2's from various users myself included.

May 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #272 of 1,412

Quote:
Quote:
Mine has just been shipped. Now I'm kind of worried about the quality of finish as I have read similar issues.

IMHO I think your worries are unfounded. Jason and Michael are good people and if it did come blemished they would take care of it. Also, When I received mine it was in pristine condition even though it traveled half way across the world to South Korea. With these boards you hear the complaints and they seem to be the predominant voice but most people who receive it don't feel the need to tell you theirs came in mint condition so it seems like these incidents are more common than they really are. Have faith and in the rare occurrence that you get something less than expected get in contact with Jason and Mike. Until then, prepare yourself. I got mine to go with my LCD-2's and I love the pairing. It leaves nothing to be desired for me.

Quote:
x2.  I just received mine, and there are no scratches, dings, smudges, or any other cosmetic issues.  If there were, given the level of communication that the vendor has already shown willing to go to, I'm sure any issues would be taken care of promptly.  Don't go raising your blood pressure and stress over something that may not ever happen, and even if it did, would probably be corrected. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Fixed for fact correction.
happy_face1.gif

Sorry if anyone has received a blemished unit. If you have please PM me and we will get it resolved immediately.

-Jonathan (aka Jason)

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Can't wait to pair it with the Squeezebox and LCD2
o2smile.gif
. Cheers!

May 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #274 of 1,412
Im confused why you would wanna pair it with the Squeezebox... Pretty sure they both share an AKM DAC chip. Not saying they would sound the same, but the DACmini sounds damn fine as a single unit imo.

Quote:
     Quote:

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. Can't wait to pair it with the Squeezebox and LCD2
o2smile.gif
. Cheers!

May 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #275 of 1,412

Quote:
Im confused why you would wanna pair it with the Squeezebox... Pretty sure they both share an AKM DAC chip. Not saying they would sound the same, but the DACmini sounds damn fine as a single unit imo.

Quote:
When asked about the chips we use in our products, our answer is simple: CEntrance only uses the finest components in its products, to guarantee highest audio quality, professional reliability and longevity of your investment. CEntrance is the official design firm for many IC vendors, so naturally we have early access to the best chips.

But the chip is only half the answer - correct implementation is the other half. If someone tries to use a great chip and gets frustrated, they post on the Internet that the chip is bad and other people read that as true. We prefer to have our customers listen to our products and make their decision on the sound quality, not on what they read about chips on the Internet.

Long story short we prefer people judge our products on the "sum of the parts" not one chip in isolation. As this is not the best way to determine the true SQ of a product. That said feel free to ask any questions you may have about any of our designs.

Well, they both may be using AKM chip but like what Jonathan mentioned, implementation plays an important part. Moreover they may be using different chip.

May 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #277 of 1,412

Quote:
How is the DAC section without the headamp? Compared to other DACs in the 300-100 $ price range

Like fried butter.  It compares to the DAC in my Benchmark DAC1Pre.  Yes, that good.

Quote:

SB has digital out...so it seems like a nice player/dac combo.

May 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #278 of 1,412

S/PDIF out from Squeezebox into DACmini gives exceptional performance.  The DAC in the Squeezebox (be it V3 or Touch) is very good for the price, but the DACmini is a big step up in SQ.

Quote:

May 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #279 of 1,412
Erm hence the reason i said they wont sound the same..?? Your just repeating back to me what i already know :p I just wanna know why you would want 2 dac's for the one combo...

Quote:

Quote:

Well, they both may be using AKM chip but like what Jonathan mentioned, implementation plays an important part. Moreover they may be using different chip.

I figured this may be the case seeing as the SB is more focused at Multimedia and not Audiophile quality etc. But i didnt want to jump to conclusions and post anything seeing as i have never heard the SB.

Quote:
S/PDIF out from Squeezebox into DACmini gives exceptional performance.  The DAC in the Squeezebox (be it V3 or Touch) is very good for the price, but the DACmini is a big step up in SQ.

May 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #280 of 1,412
Thanks WilCox, that's my exact intention :)

May 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #281 of 1,412

Quote:
Erm hence the reason i said they wont sound the same..?? Your just repeating back to me what i already know :p I just wanna know why you would want 2 dac's for the one combo...

I figured this may be the case seeing as the SB is more focused at Multimedia and not Audiophile quality etc. But i didnt want to jump to conclusions and post anything seeing as i have never heard the SB.

The value of the SB is entirely as a file transport device...the DAC implementation is probably rather mediocre.  I use it exclusively as a file transport with a Benchmark DAC1Pre in my primary system.  

May 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #282 of 1,412
I posted this on the 'Audeze LCD2 Orthos' thread.  I cross-posted, here, for those of you who are interested in the Dacmini but not the LCD2.

I have been wanting a case for safely transporting my Audeze LCD2 and CEntrance Dacmini head gear.  I chose the Pelican 1500 from Amazon for $105 and free shipping with Amazon Prime Membership (which saves me a bundle throughout the year).  

Pelican 1500 Dimensions (Length x Width x Depth in inches):

Exterior = 18.5 x 14.1 x 6.9 (from web site)

Interior  = 17 x 11.5 x 5.75 (I measured wall to wall and floor to lid, through the foam)

Usable Interior  = 14.75 x 9.5 x 4.5 (I measured wall to wall excluding the 1" foam buffering on 4 sides and from floor to lid excluding the 1" floor foam but including the corrugated foam in the lid)  

I placed each component on the Pelican 1500, 3.5 inch thick "pick and pluck" foam block to determine the most efficient compartment layout.  I wanted at least 1" of foam block separating each component from the others.  I used toothpicks to mark the perimeter of each compartment. All 3 compartments were excavated all the way through the main foam block.  That part is easy because all you have to do is carefully separate the layers all the way around the perimeter of each compartment, then push it out in one piece.  

Leave the 1" floor foam cushion and the 1" corrugated lid foam cushion untouched.

Partial excavation around the headband was tedious and the result uneven, though functional.  I trimmed it a bit with a razor blade.  I will use the recommended glue to re-attach sections of the "pick and pluck" cells that were accidentally separated when making the compartments.

The LCD2's wide-side ear cushions rest on the 1" floor foam and the driver housings protrude 1" above the main foam block.  This is not a problem, though, because closing the lid only slightly compresses the LCD2 thanks to the corrugated lid foam.   

Here's what I am able to carry in this case:

1. Audeze LCD2.

2. Audeze cable - Dacmini compartment above power cord and beneath Dacmini, each separated by a 1/2" layer of foam.

3. Centrance Dacmini - sits on top of power cord and headphone cable, each separated by a 1/2" layer of foam.

4. Dacmini power supply - front left.

5. Dacmini power cord - Dacmini compartment resting on Pelican foam floor with 1/2" layer of foam on top to separate it from the headphone cable, above it..

6. Centrance Dacmini USB cable - front left, on top of power supply.

Edit:  This is important for determining the size case you need to accomodate your gear. The Usable interior dimensions measurement description, above, is not clear.  Here's how I measured: The Usable Length and Width dimensions were measured from Inside the 1 inch foam border on one side to the Inside 1 inch foam border on the other side.  The Usable Depth dimension was measured from Inside the lower chamber from the floor with the 1 inch foam in place and uncompressed by the ruler to the top edge of the lower case chamber + the depth of the lid with the corrugated foam Removed.  I measured the usable depth this way because the corrugated foam is very forgiving and really does not use/compress the 1 inch lid foam when the lid is closed.

Pelican cases are available in many sizes.  Remember to account for the unusable area (1 inch foam perimeter on all sides and bottom of the case; and for greater leeway/protection, consider the lid depth with corrugated foam in place as unusable space) when ordering your case.

High resolution photos substituted for iPhone photos originally uploaded.

HeadCase - Ready for loading

HeadCase - Exploded

HeadCase Reloading - Power Cord, Power Supply, and Audeze LCD2

HeadCase Reloading - USB on top of Power Supply. Power Cord beneath green foam and Headphone Cable

HeadCase  Reloading - Foam over headphone cable.

HeadCase - Fully Loaded.

HeadCase Locked and Loaded - CD on top for size reference.

May 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #283 of 1,412
 bluemonkeyer! Thats awesome! I'm getting my LCD2s soon and it's really inspiring. With something like DACmini you can really take it with you. I would make a computer case combined personally, since I have a 10" computer that would fit well with DACmini.

May 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #284 of 1,412

Pelican cases have TONS of different size options. If you could get one that's a little bit deeper you could fit the Netbook under or on top with a foam buffer between everything.'

EDIT: Yeah, this is amazing. I was thinking about doing this as well with my new HE 500. Laptop, Headphones, (possibly) DACmini. 
Quote:
 bluemonkeyer! Thats awesome! I'm getting my LCD2s soon and it's really inspiring. With something like DACmini you can really take it with you. I would make a computer case combined personally, since I have a 10" computer that would fit well with DACmini.

May 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #285 of 1,412
Ahhh cheers :) I havent had much to do with the Squeezebox items, i know you could do this sort of thing but it swept directly over my head.

Quote:

The value of the SB is entirely as a file transport device...the DAC implementation is probably rather mediocre.  I use it exclusively as a file transport with a Benchmark DAC1Pre in my primary system.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back