Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Jun 10, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #273 of 977
Selling mine for the new kid on the block from ifi. $3200 if anyone wants To discuss.
Is it just out of curiosity or to try something new?

Jun 10, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #275 of 977
I use the silver fox as part of my bigger audio system as an alternative to speakers late at night. It sits in my rack next to my power amp. I have a dual-ground passive splitter to divide speaker amp and headphone amp.

I am ten feet away from the amp when I listen. Probably the one thing I miss is a remote volume control. That is the only reason I would consider selling.

I can say with confidence that this is the best headphone amp I have had in my system over many years and I have been through quite a few. I currently play ZMF VC and Meze Elites through it and it's a sophisticated beast.

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #276 of 977
[
I use the silver fox as part of my bigger audio system as an alternative to speakers late at night. It sits in my rack next to my power amp. I have a dual-ground passive splitter to divide speaker amp and headphone amp.

I am ten feet away from the amp when I listen. Probably the one thing I miss is a remote volume control. That is the only reason I would consider selling.

I can say with confidence that this is the best headphone amp I have had in my system over many years and I have been through quite a few. I currently play ZMF VC and Meze Elites through it and it's a sophisticated beast.

My plan is the atrium closed and the elites

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #278 of 977

That’s the right word to describe the Silver Fox, “sophisticated”. It’s a complex beast of an amp with power, outstanding driving ability, with incredible tone and technicalities. I’m not so sure you‘d get that same musical enjoyment out of the iCan Phantom, but I’d need to hear it to be sure. The Phantom is a do everything unit and I do admire that. So I get the curiosity. I definitely want to hear it, but I won’t be giving up the Silver Fox to do so. The delivery and control that the Silver Fox has over my headphones is unmatched so far. I would have to pit them against each other side by side and pick a winner. I wouldn’t buy it blindly, but that’s just me.

Like you you, I’ve been through a ton of amps. The Susvara’s when I owned them had me auditioning amp after amp. As I tried to find the right combination of sound and performance to get the best out of them. The Silver Fox is easily the best amp I’ve had come through my home.

Jun 11, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #279 of 977
[

My plan is the atrium closed and the elites
I think both headphones will be amazing on the Silver Fox. The Elites especially. This is just based on my previous ownership of them and from what I’m hearing with the Empyrean’s now on the Silver Fox.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #280 of 977
Like you you, I’ve been through a ton of amps. The Susvara’s when I owned them had me auditioning amp after amp. As I tried to find the right combination of sound and performance to get the best out of them. The Silver Fox is easily the best amp I’ve had come through my home.
And now, I've been kicking around the web looking for someone's impressions of a Susvara + Silver Fox pairing, and can't even seem to find one. Isn't that ironic? But then again, "ironic" is nothing new in this hobby. It is just that the Susvara seems (or at least "seemed") to be one of the very first "go to" litmus tests for high-powered headamps like this Silver Fox. Driving the Susvara well and properly has been one of the first benchmarks or badges of honor that I have heard enthusiasts announce about such recently released amps/head-amps as the Volot, the Holo Bliss, and the Zahl HM1 (I could say something similar about the Ferrum Orr Stack, The Bakoon/Enleum pair and even the Niimbus, which I own, and several others), so, without necessarily implying that this susvara test-drive requirement represents some absolutely rigid "must-do" line that every newly released headamp should necessarily tow, I consider it a bit odd that I cannot find any impressions at all within the community of a Susvara + Silver fox pairing, and do not know how to interpret that absence/silence.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #281 of 977
And now, I've been kicking around the web looking for someone's impressions of a Susvara + Silver Fox pairing, and can't even seem to find one. Isn't that ironic? But then again, "ironic" is nothing new in this hobby. It is just that the Susvara seems (or at least "seemed") to be one of the very first "go to" litmus tests for high-powered headamps like this Silver Fox. Driving the Susvara well and properly has been one of the first benchmarks or badges of honor that I have heard enthusiasts announce about such recently released amps/head-amps as the Volot, the Holo Bliss, and the Zahl HM1 (I could something similar about the Ferrum Orr Stack, The Bakoon/Emleum pair and even the Niimbus, which I own, and several others), so, without necessarily implying that this susvara test-drive requirement represents some rigid "must-do" line that every newly released headamp should necessarily tow, I find it a bit odd that I cannot find any impressions at all within the community of a Susvara + Silver fox pairing, and do not know how to interpret that absence/silence.
I gave up my Susvara's a little while ago. I would love to have it now to see how it would fair and perform with the Silver Fox. I truly believe that the pairing would be phenomenal.

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #283 of 977
And now, I've been kicking around the web looking for someone's impressions of a Susvara + Silver Fox pairing, and can't even seem to find one. Isn't that ironic? But then again, "ironic" is nothing new in this hobby. It is just that the Susvara seems (or at least "seemed") to be one of the very first "go to" litmus tests for high-powered headamps like this Silver Fox. Driving the Susvara well and properly has been one of the first benchmarks or badges of honor that I have heard enthusiasts announce about such recently released amps/head-amps as the Volot, the Holo Bliss, and the Zahl HM1 (I could say something similar about the Ferrum Orr Stack, The Bakoon/Emleum pair and even the Niimbus, which I own, and several others), so, without necessarily implying that this susvara test-drive requirement represents some absolutely rigid "must-do" line that every newly released headamp should necessarily tow, I consider it a bit odd that I cannot find any impressions at all within the community of a Susvara + Silver fox pairing, and do not know how to interpret that absence/silence.
I have both (Silver Fox & Susvara) and they sound great together. The increase in power from my old amp (Auralic Taurus mk2 has roughly 4W at 50ohms) really helps increase the bottom end slam of the Susvara but not to an overpowering level. Just bass slam is now present when it barely was before. I hope that helps as I'm still burning in my Silver Fox (~around 60+ hours of burn-in so far).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #285 of 977
The increase in power from my old amp (Auralic Taurus mk2 has roughly 4W at 50ohms) really helps increase the bottom end slam of the Susvara but not to an overpowering level

That's a spot on observation. All the extra power in case of Susvara doesn't mean just higher SPL. Rather, it gets us more pronounced and slamming bass and control.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back