Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
May 31, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #211 of 975
If you do try them with the Susvara, I would like to know how they stack up against the Niimbus series of Headphone amps for driving the Susvara. I use a US4 now, and I can see one of these Foxes among the headamps in my upgrade path
I have Susvaras too and will do the same when mine comes in and has some burn-in.

May 31, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #213 of 975
I hope I get a chance to try this in a better environment at somepoint but the demo at Munich unfortunately impress much. Both the Lotoo desktop amp and the Zahl HM1 that were next to it sounded IMO quite noticeably better.

There seemed to be a bit of shoutiness to the Cen.Grand on some headphones too

May 31, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #214 of 975
I hope I get a chance to try this in a better environment at somepoint but the demo at Munich unfortunately impress much. Both the Lotoo desktop amp and the Zahl HM1 that were next to it sounded IMO quite noticeably better.

Shoutiness seems to run counter to everyone else’s opinions. You would think the one that they had at the show would be broken in, but maybe they didn’t have enough hours on it.

Doesn’t the Lotoo have a DAC it’s playing through as well?

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #215 of 975
Shoutiness seems to run counter to everyone else’s opinions.

If Exicons are implemented right, amps with them inside sound highly resolved without any harshness or shoutiness. That's the major appeal of these mosfets (alongside triode-like characteristic), but if one is used to warm sound profile, I can imagine that their very detailed character may be perceived as shouty, but here I think one's reference points and biases.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 31, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #216 of 975
I can’t speak to any of that, since I am not technical, and I also have never heard the amplifier. My general rule is never buy anything without listening, and to take it a step further, not to buy unless I listen in my own system.

However, the two people that recommended this amplifier to me, Project 86, and Arthur know me very well, as well as my sound preferences. Both of them recommended the amp to me, and so I would severely doubt the amp sounds shouty.

May 31, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #217 of 975
Mind telling me where are you located? I live in a country where 30-35c in the daytime is normal. I am almost unable to touch Audio GD HE9 head-amp for more than 10 seconds if I left it on 24/7. Even though the sound significantly improves with 2-3 hours of warm-up, I need to turn it off every day after use.
he9 is much much hotter... he9 mk2 is comparable to silver fox in terms of hot

May 31, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #218 of 975

I can't say that I hear any shoutiness from the Silver Fox. It has some of the best tone of any amp I've heard outside of the Luxman P-750u, which I also owned. I think any shoutiness would have been on full display when I listen to the HEKse's through the Silver Fox and there is none.

May 31, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #219 of 975
I can’t speak to any of that, since I am not technical, and I also have never heard the amplifier. My general rule is never buy anything without listening, and to take it a step further, not to buy unless I listen in my own system.

However, the two people that recommended this amplifier to me, Project 86, and Arthur know me very well, as well as my sound preferences. Both of them recommended the amp to me, and so I would severely doubt the amp sounds shouty.
Silver fox is full bodied, very transparent and no way shouty but extremely detailed.

May 31, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #221 of 975
I can't say that I hear any shoutiness from the Silver Fox. It has some of the best tone of any amp I've heard outside of the Luxman P-750u, which I also owned. I think any shoutiness would have been on full display when I listen to the HEKse's through the Silver Fox and there is none.
Show impressions can be misleading so I'm waiting until I get the opportunity to hear it in a better environment. Would love to do a vid on it at somepoint if possible but will have to wait and see

May 31, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #223 of 975
Show impressions can be misleading so I'm waiting until I get the opportunity to hear it in a better environment. Would love to do a vid on it at somepoint if possible but will have to wait and see

Very true.

For what it's worth, I find that your impressions are eerily similar to mine when it comes to the WaveDream (great!) and particularly the dCS Bartok (not so great...) which is not an opinion I see very often. This leads me to believe that we may hear things similarly for the most part, so I'm thinking you might love the Silver Fox as well.

I hope you get a chance to try it at some point.

May 31, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #224 of 975
Yeah, I can attest to this. Listening to gear at shows gives you a basic guideline, but normally most gear performs better in home. I would love to hear the Zahl just to see how it compares to the Silver Fox at some point.

May 31, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #225 of 975

I had thought of posting this at the beginning instead of the post that I made, but I fell into the troll trap.

If one was to look in the dictionary for the definition of passive aggressive, they would see your post. Any of these threads are appreciation and impression threads. For someone to come on here that does not own, or sell the product, and make a negative comment in passing (and not to mention the two other amps that you said sounded better) in the way that you have done, has an agenda. I would guarantee if you were selling this amp, it would not be shouty at all. It would sound like the Virgin Mary herself started singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back