Cen.Grand 9i-906 "Silver Fox"
Mar 18, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #106 of 975
The DAC has only a single set of XLR outputs. I need to split the signal into my two channel amp and the Can.Grand. Anyone have an experience with a passive splitter that doesn't degrade the sound.
Perhaps you could try Zynsonix, I haven’t had any experience with the brand, but a couple of headfiers gave positive impressions with it.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #109 of 975
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #110 of 975
@cengrand looking for clarification on the fuse size used in the Silver Fox. On the back of the unit it says 5x20mm 6.3A 250V. When I took the fuse box off to look at the fuse it was a 16A 250V fuse installed. Which one is correct? Also is this a fast or slow blow type fuse?

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #111 of 975
@cengrand looking for clarification on the fuse size used in the Silver Fox. On the back of the unit it says 5x20mm 6.3A 250V. When I took the fuse box off to look at the fuse it was a 16A 250V fuse installed. Which one is correct? Also is this a fast or slow blow type fuse?
This is the minimum specification. Anything lower may burn out on power up. Using a larger fuse will help to improve the sound and also protect the device. If there is a short circuit or damage inside the device, whether it is 6.3A or 16A, it will burn up quickly. The fuse used in the Silver Fox is an American brand.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #112 of 975
Let me ask the obvious question...how does this amp perform with the Susvara? I'm looking to transition away from using speaker amps with an adapter box to using a powerful headphone amp to drive them. The reviews I've seen online don't really go into detail about Susvara in particular...and I'm wondering if that's because the synergy isn't there or because the reviewers don't have the Susvara in their stable of headphones.
I have a pair of Susvaras and plan to have one of these amps by mid year. We also live in the same area in case you will want to come over and check it out.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #113 of 975
I have a pair of Susvaras and plan to have one of these amps by mid year. We also live in the same area in case you will want to come over and check it out.
I would to see hear how the Susvara's would fair on the Silver Fox.

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #114 of 975
Just posting this here in case anyone has a similar setup and issue, and thanks @ArthurPower for being helpful and prepared to send a replacement if there was a defect. :handshake:

I was getting transformer hum on my Silver Fox and started troubleshooting what may be causing it, only to find out that PSM156 - iFi Supanova to Aquarius in one outlet with Silver Fox in another was a REALLY bad combo making the hum 4x louder, took out the Supanova and it was way quieter, however I could still faintly hear it, so that left my source, my PC.

Moved it to another outlet and it is gone, imperceptible, would probably have to open up the amp, and place my ear quite close to the transformer to hear anything.

That being said, it looks quite nice in black.

Attachments

• sf.jpg
    sf.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #115 of 975
Just posting this here in case anyone has a similar setup and issue, and thanks @ArthurPower for being helpful and prepared to send a replacement if there was a defect. :handshake:

I was getting transformer hum on my Silver Fox and started troubleshooting what may be causing it, only to find out that PSM156 - iFi Supanova to Aquarius in one outlet with Silver Fox in another was a REALLY bad combo making the hum 4x louder, took out the Supanova and it was way quieter, however I could still faintly hear it, so that left my source, my PC.

Moved it to another outlet and it is gone, imperceptible, would probably have to open up the amp, and place my ear quite close to the transformer to hear anything.

thank you for the tip!

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #116 of 975

How are you liking the sound of the Silver Fox? I'm a couple hundred hours in and sound has really opened up. Some of the warmth that I was experiencing early on has been replaced with more resolution and a increase in staging width and depth. From day one, the Silver Fox has always sounded dynamic. What has improved is the transient response. Things are sounding a little more crisp and snappy.

The Silver Fox is really a musical amp, but it's not completely neutral sounding. It has body and soul with a slightly warm tilt. Notes are weighted and the sound is full. I love the musicality it infuses into my headphones. With that said, I like the synergy the Silver Fox has with my headphones that are fairly neutral sounding. Than with my headphones that lean on the warmer side of neutral. The Silver Fox sounds great and does its thing with all my headphones, it just a preference thing based on how I perceive its tuning. I can say that the Silver Fox is making me rethink some of the headphones in my collection......

Mar 30, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #117 of 975
How are you liking the sound of the Silver Fox? I'm a couple hundred hours in and sound has really opened up. Some of the warmth that I was experiencing early on has been replaced with more resolution and a increase in staging width and depth. From day one, the Silver Fox has always sounded dynamic. What has improved is the transient response. Things are sounding a little more crisp and snappy.

The Silver Fox is really a musical amp, but it's not completely neutral sounding. It has body and soul with a slightly warm tilt. Notes are weighted and the sound is full. I love the musicality it infuses into my headphones. With that said, I like the synergy the Silver Fox has with my headphones that are fairly neutral sounding. Than with my headphones that lean on the warmer side of neutral. The Silver Fox sounds great and does its thing with all my headphones, it just a preference thing based on how I perceive its tuning. I can say that the Silver Fox is making me rethink some of the headphones in my collection......
I am liking it a lot, need more hours so it can open up some more but even then I noticed it easily resolved more than my FA-10 pro, and I agree on it being quite a bit more dynamic and fuller. Expanse is taking to it like a duck to water, it is a really good pairing. Neutral with a slight warm tilt is my preference nowadays and I think the Silver Fox more than meets that need. If it improves more on the technical side... exciting.

Been on a Polyphia and Thank You Scientist binge lately, both bands sound amazing, doing the stereotypical rediscovery of their albums, might switch it up and play the FFVII Remake OST today and see how that sounds, cant wait.

I still have my ADX5000s and I am very curious on how that will sound along with my HEKSE, but right now ever since September, Expanse has been my partner.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #119 of 975
I am liking it a lot, need more hours so it can open up some more but even then I noticed it easily resolved more than my FA-10 pro, and I agree on it being quite a bit more dynamic and fuller. Expanse is taking to it like a duck to water, it is a really good pairing. Neutral with a slight warm tilt is my preference nowadays and I think the Silver Fox more than meets that need. If it improves more on the technical side... exciting.

Been on a Polyphia and Thank You Scientist binge lately, both bands sound amazing, doing the stereotypical rediscovery of their albums, might switch it up and play the FFVII Remake OST today and see how that sounds, cant wait.

I still have my ADX5000s and I am very curious on how that will sound along with my HEKSE, but right now ever since September, Expanse has been my partner.
Nice, I'm curious about the Expanse and have plans on obtaining one. I just need to figure out what I'm going to sell to get it. Glad to hear it pairs well with the Silver Fox. I have the HEKse's and ADX5000's and both sound amazing on the Silver Fox.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #120 of 975
Nice! I haven't spent enough time with the Musician Aquarius feeding the Silver Fox, but from what little I have tried it is a fantastic combo. Particularly with headphones like LCD-5 which could potentially feel a little dry/boring on a more sterile setup.
This was my problem when I had the LCD-5's before. I was using the GS-X Mk2 and the sound was very, very energetic and lacked any kind of musicality. It was not a good pairing at all. I'm positive the LCD-5's would love the Silver Fox. I wish I still had them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back