Celsus Sound Companion One, 32/384 USB, iOS/Android, 24/192 Wi-Fi DAC/Amplifier
Aug 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #31 of 60
Wow, thanks for the review.  I swear that I do not know RockStar2005 and have never met him.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #32 of 60
Jason, 

Yeah sure, no problem. Just being honest. lol 

Haha.........yes, just a fan over here! That's it. lol

Note: I forgot to mention, cuz I know how Head-Fiers love details................ the headphones used were my Sony MDR-1A headphones. They paired very well with the CO. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #34 of 60
All, 

I'm trying to configure my home Wi-Fi to detect my CO so that I can add it to my home Wi-Fi network, but it's not detecting it. I tried following the instructions in the manual that say to go http://192.168.10.1 but that page won't load up. My home router is on 192.168.29.1. but when I go to it, it detects my other devices, but not the CO. I have the CO in AP mode as the instructions state to do for the initial steps, but still nothing. 

Help!! (Jason or anyone!)

Thanks. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #35 of 60
Hey guys,

Nevermind. I figured it out. I was trying to do it via my desktop PC, but actually it had to be done via my phone's internet browser. Works great now! So awesome that you can stream from your phone to the CO. I initially thought you could only stream from CO to headphones/speakers.

Such a truly awesome device!

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #36 of 60
I recently purchased the CO to use as a iDevice, USB and wireless DAC/headphone amp and it is fantastic. It pairs well with both my PM-3s and XCs and sounds great whether using in either wired or wireless configurations. The CO to my ears has a very transparent dymanic signature without sounding overly bright and seems to have good slam and driving power for a portable device. I love that I can take it to the gym with my iPhone and stream Tidal wirelessly from my iPhone to the CO. Also kudos to Jason who provided me with excellent customer service. He answered my few questions promptly and shipped the device super fast so it arrived before i left for a recent trip. My only small quibble is that the CO seems to default to max volume when switching modes. But I agree with RockStar2005 that overall the CO is great!

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #37 of 60
zeddun, 

Thanks for sharing your story with us! Yeah the CO is the best! Might even be the best amp/DAC for UNDER $2200??! lol I read one review or user review that said the Astell & Kern $1600 player is not as good as the $1200 Sony Walkman ZX2.......... but other reviews I've seen said the CO is better than the ZX2 or even equally rated Oppo HA-1! lol 

I'm having an issue finding a good app or apps that can stream Wi-Fi without issues on my Android Sony Xperia Z3 smartphone. I see you got iPhone which I know has less issues cuz u don't have 15 makers producing iPhones (unlike Android lol), just ONE. The apps I got were great.............the N7 Player and Toaster Cast................. but they weren't perfect so I've uninstalled them. The N7 Player would play the songs and Toaster Cast would help facilitate the Wi-Fi stream.........so they worked together. But what kept happening is after a few songs played, the two apps would lose the connection to the CO randomly..........sometimes even DURING a song, and so it'd stop w/o warning. Got really annoying, so yeah they're history. I tried DLNA (Android version of AirPlay lol), but didn't work. I'm gonna assume you use AirPlay and that's prob why you have no issues. Lemme know if it's something else like an app. Maybe Google Play Store sells an Android version too if so? 

Other than that, the CO is the best, PERIOD. 

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #38 of 60
  zeddun, 

Thanks for sharing your story with us! Yeah the CO is the best! Might even be the best amp/DAC for UNDER $2200??! lol I read one review or user review that said the Astell & Kern $1600 player is not as good as the $1200 Sony Walkman ZX2.......... but other reviews I've seen said the CO is better than the ZX2 or even equally rated Oppo HA-1! lol 

I'm having an issue finding a good app or apps that can stream Wi-Fi without issues on my Android Sony Xperia Z3 smartphone. I see you got iPhone which I know has less issues cuz u don't have 15 makers producing iPhones (unlike Android lol), just ONE. The apps I got were great.............the N7 Player and Toaster Cast................. but they weren't perfect so I've uninstalled them. The N7 Player would play the songs and Toaster Cast would help facilitate the Wi-Fi stream.........so they worked together. But what kept happening is after a few songs played, the two apps would lose the connection to the CO randomly..........sometimes even DURING a song, and so it'd stop w/o warning. Got really annoying, so yeah they're history. I tried DLNA (Android version of AirPlay lol), but didn't work. I'm gonna assume you use AirPlay and that's prob why you have no issues. Lemme know if it's something else like an app. Maybe Google Play Store sells an Android version too if so? 

Other than that, the CO is the best, PERIOD. 

Thanks

Good Question-I've only used AirPlay to take advantage of the CO's wireless streaming capabilities.  I'm also looking for a way to stream Tidal from my Surface Pro 3 to the CO if such a way exists.  You might want to email Jason-sales@headaudio.com and ask him for Android uPNP or DLNA options.  Jason's always been great in answering my questions on the CO in a very prompt fashion.  I did a search in Bing using "android app stream music wirelessly uPNP DLNA" and a bunch of results came up.  So you might want to check that out if you haven't already.  With many great headphones to choose from and devices like the CO it is certainly an exciting and great time to be a headphone enthusiast!

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #39 of 60
zeddun, 

Thanks, and thanks for the info too! I'll look into it more. I found those 2 apps by doing a similar search, and it wasn't easy to find those (the N7 is a great player too). 

Well if you find a SOLID way to do so for your Surface Pro 3, then let me know. 

I actually have spoken to Jason many times in this thread, and through private msg here on Head-Fi, and he's always responded. I even did speak to him initially using that address too. I sent him a msg on this topic actually about a week ago but I haven't heard back yet. He may not know offhand though, so I will have to research it more I guess. DLNA should've worked, but didn't. Maybe it's just my phone? I dunno. 

Yes it is.......... we have more and BETTER options now than ever before! I'm in the process of comparing my Sony MDR-1As to the Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones......... both are pretty much equally-rated, and both lovely in design too. So we'll see!! 

Update: I just tried a few apps out........ the first one the list from doing that Google search has passed my tests............... BubbleUpnP UpnP DLNA Player! Unlike N7 Player & Toaster Cast combo, this player had NO lag and more importantly, it did NOT lose the Wi-Fi connection to my Companion One!!! This is it Zeddun. Get it. Then connect to your Wi-Fi device/headphones/speaker (click on Renderer ((while in Playscreen)) in right-side Settings button (3 dots), not left side, and choose your device), and it should work from there easily. You can even control volume from phone and it syncs with the device's volume so they're the same.

It appears that after 20 minutes the option to stream goes away, or at least it won't detect the CO anymore UNLESS you buy the licensed "full version" of this app which currently costs $4.69. So it's not free, but at least it's a solid option that WORKS!
gs1000.gif

Jason if you're reading this, please let anyone who asks know this player is just GREAT for Android phones! I've played several songs on it now and have not noticed ANY issues at all. 

If any issues come up, I'll let you all know. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #40 of 60
  zeddun, 

Thanks, and thanks for the info too! I'll look into it more. I found those 2 apps by doing a similar search, and it wasn't easy to find those (the N7 is a great player too). 

Well if you find a SOLID way to do so for your Surface Pro 3, then let me know. 

I actually have spoken to Jason many times in this thread, and through private msg here on Head-Fi, and he's always responded. I even did speak to him initially using that address too. I sent him a msg on this topic actually about a week ago but I haven't heard back yet. He may not know offhand though, so I will have to research it more I guess. DLNA should've worked, but didn't. Maybe it's just my phone? I dunno. 

Yes it is.......... we have more and BETTER options now than ever before! I'm in the process of comparing my Sony MDR-1As to the Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones......... both are pretty much equally-rated, and both lovely in design too. So we'll see!! 

Update: I just tried a few apps out........ the first one the list from doing that Google search has passed my tests............... BubbleUpnP UpnP DLNA Player! Unlike N7 Player & Toaster Cast combo, this player had NO lag and more importantly, it did NOT lose the Wi-Fi connection to my Companion One!!! This is it Zeddun. Get it. Then connect to your Wi-Fi device/headphones/speaker (click on Renderer ((while in Playscreen)) in right-side Settings button (3 dots), not left side, and choose your device), and it should work from there easily. You can even control volume from phone and it syncs with the device's volume so they're the same.

It appears that after 20 minutes the option to stream goes away, or at least it won't detect the CO anymore UNLESS you buy the licensed "full version" of this app which currently costs $4.69. So it's not free, but at least it's a solid option that WORKS!
gs1000.gif

Jason if you're reading this, please let anyone who asks know this player is just GREAT for Android phones! I've played several songs on it now and have not noticed ANY issues at all. 

If any issues come up, I'll let you all know. 

So glad one of the options worked for you!​

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 60
I have been very busy and just check this forum. Yes, BubbleUpnP UpnP DLNA Player is good if I remember it well.  
Apple iOS ensures that all Apps have to go AirPlay for streaming so that makes it easy for streaming from within online music service apps like Spotify. Unfortunately for Android OS we have to reply on third party apps: http://gizmodo.com/how-to-stream-anything-from-android-to-airplay-1578516449
Allcast seems great but I have never tried it.  I got rid of my Samsung Note3 after switching over to iPhone6+.  I do need to get one of those cheap and good Xiaomi Android phone to play with Android apps.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #43 of 60
Jason, 

No problem. Just glad a workable solution was found. 

Those are some cool apps. Seems like they all require about the same amount I paid for Bubble UPnP....... about $5. Or else they need to be rooted. Twonky Beam seems like it's geared more towards video streaming than audio too. So I think the one I got was just great. 
beerchug.gif

It'll be nice now b/c I can actually charge my phone while using the CO when in the car thanks to Bubble UPnP. 

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #44 of 60
Glad there are people who enjoy the Companion One. The test unit I'd been using has been returned back to Celsus for a few months already, so I haven't had the chance to hear it in a while, but in my mind, it's still a nice unit.

I do wish the interface weren't as minimalistic as it is now, and that there were less lag for the wireless streaming functionality. I'm hoping they bring out an improved Mk. II version (or separate model) with an easier button selection, or perhaps even a screen to help with things like registering the IP address of the device. As for the lag during wireless streaming, it seems like the overall technology is just not quite fully mature yet. The AK380, which has a similar wireless remote feature, also has the same kind of 2 second lag time, and AFAIK, it's merely controlling the device wirelessly, not streaming wirelessly. Fingers cross for improved technology in later generations.

The sound quality and build quality are top notch, however.

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #45 of 60
Hey, i just ordered one yesterday, really looking forward to listening to that dac :D
Tomscy2000, you could literally advertise for Celsus Sound with your gorgeous pictures (blue one is stunning!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back