cellphone as music player
Nov 3, 2006 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eastsidemetalhd

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

just wondering what you guys think of the new crop of cellphones with mp3 capability, in particular the Sony Ericsson W850i and the Nokia 5300 (since they can take removable memory cards of 1 or 2 GB).

am looking at getting one of those (current cellphone is on its last legs), and the memory size via the cards (finally) allows you take around a decent amount of music for those days when you don't want to have to carry an extra item in your pockets.

Naturally, i'm not expecting them to give super-fantastic sound, but any comments on how good (or terrible) they sound would be appreciated. tks!

Nov 3, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 5
check out xphilez.com (you'll need 15 posts to DL the necessary progs) to unlocking nokias which have the mp3 capabities but normally will only let you DL DRM protected music from their music store.

This way you still can have mp3 capabilites without paying out the ass for those new overpriced mp3 player phones.

Nov 3, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 5
most of the cellphones that u were describing aren't bad at all.
however u wil someday be disatisfied with the sound
i personally have a pda phone that plays music / video and stuff like that
but after a long...painful...delima....i got myself an ipod video
good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
For the most part, a phone is to call your mother. Music is not a priority. The quality of the songs that go on a phone are very poor. The amp is very poor on a phone.
Good Luck and Don't Waste Money!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a Treo 650 and use a program called Ptunes with my phone. It sounds good enough for what I use it for... I have a membership on Rhapsody and the program can handle their subscription downloads.

It is nice to have when I do not want to carry an extra mp3 player around. The Ptunes software can handle MP3, WMA (not lossless WMA), PCM WAV, and Ogg Vorbis files. The Treo 650 can play video, jpegs, MobiTv, etc... if you are interested. I also use it to import email and paper/magazine articles via Avantgo. For me, it is a great device, but I still have dedicated "mp3" players for other situations.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 5
I have an LG CU500 from Cingular which has a media player which plays mp3s and 3gp videos. The sound and video playback is decent. And there is a stereo speaker (1/2 inch of separation). Overall, I consider this a backup device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back