Cell Phone Provider (USA)
Sep 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

N0sferatu

500+ Head-Fier
Which cell phone provider is the best and why?  Forgetting what phone(s) each one has which has the best service and prices?

I'm thinking of switching right now but not sure to who...

1.) AT&T - only major GSM provider but patchy service at best.  I'm grandfathered in on their "unlimited" data right now.  Not too happy with them otherwise

2.) Sprint - strongly considering.  "Unlimited" data, cheapest prices, but from what I hear their 3G network isnt the fastest (as their "4G" (WiiMax) isn't fully deployed anywhere.

3.) Verizon - best coverage, truly 4G (LTE) unlike the others.  However, most expensive, shady contract fees I'm told, and most of their Android phones have locked bootloaders (makes it a bitch to root them).

4.) T-Mobile - didn't look into much considering they're contemplating merger with AT&T

Anyways that's where I'm at and not sure where to go.  Thoughts?

In terms of phone I want the Samsung Galaxy S2.  AT&T dropped the bomb on the release date, Sprint has it now, Verizon is waiting on the upcoming Google Nexus Prime (I might too) so this is what's prompting me to switch.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 5
I've got T-mobile, soon to merge with AT&T and anything that might happen is up in the air to me.

I've got a old plan that's like $30 a month for unlimited everything. I've had it for 5-6 years. Problem with them is that all the phones suck. Either way, I trash my phone nonetheless. I've had about 20-30 phones replaced

EDIT: Go for Sprint, I haven't heard anything bad about them. Nothing good either, might be the friends I hang out with.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Most people I know on Verizon have been very happy with their cellphone coverage, while others on AT&T and T-Mobile have usually expressed some form of disgruntledness with the signal. It may have to do with your location though; these were people in New England and Chicago. I was on T-Mobile in both those areas and it wasn't great. I recently moved out to NorCal though and T-Mobile has been better out here. You may like to know that the competition commission recently took issue with the AT&T/T-Mobile takeover so it may not even go through. Unfortunately I can't really speak to the speeds of the data networks or Sprint in particular.

However another thing you might like to consider is that Verizon and Sprint are on CDMA so their phones have no sim cards and are thus less flexible in terms of unlocking and using on another network or in another country; also if you buy a phone elsewhere and want to use it on their network. Might not matter to you, but as an international in the USA it helps that I can use my unlocked GSM phone from overseas here.

Hope that's helpful, just my two cents worth.

[edited for typo]

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm fairly happy with my coverage as well on VZW, though the fact they do lock down US GSM on my D2G puts a damper on that. Did a bit of messing around with it on RadioComm though, and got it unlocked for GSM use in the US. Mostly limited to 2G edge networks though, sadly. I did get the chance to test out GSM further north in Canada, worked like a charm despite the problems people report with this phone. Only complaint would be the power management issues; some days it drains to empty within 4 hours, other days it barely hits 90% battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back