CD3000, R10, and reverb
Dec 4, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #46 of 50
I can compare between elektrostats and dynamic headphones.

i think quite the opposite of Nik.
i owned a top stax rig and i was always missing something in the mid/low bass section.
the bass didn't go as deep as the dynamic cans. the bass is maybe a bit more detailed as the dynamic phones, but i felt it was a bit "to" dry sounding(not natural to me). using tubes will make it slightly worse either. since most of the tube gear doesn't have the punch of solid state amps.

one big disadvantage of the elektrostats is that they wear!
they slowly deteriorate in time. so, even as you listen, it might not be as good as it was some months ago.

the big difference between the two is:
elektrostats: very detailed, neutral, can be to dry sounding.

dynamic: more natural, more intimate, maybe less detailed, more drive.

well, that's what i think of it.

good cans are good cans whether they are open, closed or elektrostats.
wink.gif

Nik:

you can always experiment with the interlinks. they can dramatically change the sound of the system.
alot of people seem to have most problems with silver cables.
it needs carefully tweeking. alot of people use silver and copper in their rigs, to soften the silver cable a bit. most silver cables can sound agressive. especially in the low and high end of the spectrum.

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by tourmaline
one big disadvantage of the elektrostats is that they wear!
they slowly deteriorate in time. so, even as you listen, it might not be as good as it was some months ago.

tourmaline, are you sure about this? I've read several posts here on Head-Fi of people digging up old (from the 1980s) Stax cans and describing their sound as just like brand new. I'm sure if you take care of electrostatic cans properly, they'll stay in tip-top shape for quite a while.

- Chris

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
tourmaline, are you sure about this? I've read several posts here on Head-Fi of people digging up old (from the 1980s) Stax cans and describing their sound as just like brand new. I'm sure if you take care of electrostatic cans properly, they'll stay in tip-top shape for quite a while.

- Chris

I am absolutely positive about this. alot of people who own stax rigs do need to change the elektrostatic drivers after some time. it depends from person to person, but yes, they will NOT last as long as dynamic cans do.

no, i am sorry to tell you, but you cannot do anything about it.the thin plastic layer in the driver will wear. nothing to do with taking care of the headphone. they can "sparkle" sometimes, means they are deteriorating. the more you listen to them, the faster they wear. i even heard that the thin plastic layer can stick in the housing as well. need to be replaced.i think what happens is that the thin plastic layer will stretch in time. loosing it's capabilities to reproduce the image and sounstage as it should be. eventually it will stick to the housing.

I heard that magnetostats (magnepan) do not have this disadvantage.

and i know from my own experience, to preplace the drivers isn't cheap!the most expensive top stax cans (omega 2) are for sure also the most expensive to replace.
if you wanna have the sound as it was new, you need to change the drivers. i dunno when you have to change them, but you do need it to have the headphone sound like new again.
you only know, when you compare your unit with a new one.
some people do change the drivers every 5 years or so, just to be sure the unit will sound like new again.

just like people changing their tubes every 5 years or so, just to make sure they are in tip top high-end condition.
some people say that only the first 20 percent of a tubes' live is high end, so they change the tubes even they are for 80 percent in working order.

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #49 of 50
tourmaline,

I owned a top Stax rig, you said, but you are not speaking of the Omega II, I think!

My cables are not silver, or copper... are paticular liquid conductors, the most neutral conductor element for signal.

About life of the electrostatic, I'm happy enaought if my Omega II lives until the new Stax model appear... (!!!).

--------------------------------

Open - closed cans in comparison:

What I can admit comparing the two system, R10/Angstrom and Omega II (closed - open cans) is this new concept: the R10 (and I think generally the closed-wooden cans) have something (I cannot explain well what...) that makes them similar to the acoustic instrument, wooden=wooden, so similar to the original istrument costruction more than similar to their sound. I mean similar in the construction elements, all natural materials in the R10. I think this is the "secret" to give to the listener that impression of naturality and musicality. But thinking to the sound the Omega (=open electrostatic) describe better every detail and perfectly the recording.

Best!
Nicola

Dec 5, 2003 at 10:34 AM Post #50 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
tourmaline,

I owned a top Stax rig, you said, but you are not speaking of the Omega II, I think!

My cables are not silver, or copper... are paticular liquid conductors, the most neutral conductor element for signal.

About life of the electrostatic, I'm happy enaought if my Omega II lives until the new Stax model appear... (!!!).

--------------------------------

Open - closed cans in comparison:

What I can admit comparing the two system, R10/Angstrom and Omega II (closed - open cans) is this new concept: the R10 (and I think generally the closed-wooden cans) have something (I cannot explain well what...) that makes them similar to the acoustic instrument, wooden=wooden, so similar to the original istrument costruction more than similar to their sound. I mean similar in the construction elements, all natural materials in the R10. I think this is the "secret" to give to the listener that impression of naturality and musicality. But thinking to the sound the Omega (=open electrostatic) describe better every detail and perfectly the recording.

Best!
Nicola

Nik, that's true. i speak of the stax sound prior to the omega 2.
i didn't audition them yet.

i know the elektrostats are very detailed and neutral, but they do lack sometimes the intimicy. for rock and roll for instance, i think that nobody would mind a bit of intimicy or involvement.
it makes that recording come to live even more.

i also have heard quite some other speaker elektrostats. while very detailed, they lack the punch in alot of ways dynamic speakers/headphones have. for instance:
the sound of the drums/footpedals, give a very punchy (resonant)
sound. the elektrostat cannot reproduce that. it is far to detailed for that. the dynamic headphone however has the same punch and distortion as the original instrument.

alot of people don't like elektrostats for this reason.
i think more dynamic headphones/speaker systems are sold compared to elektrostats.
most elektrostatic systems are hybrids; elektrostats for the high and mid, woofer(s) for the low end!
wink.gif

strangely enough are the best speakers dynamic speakers;
(well, according to people who should know about it)

i like them both. i would love a headphone wich could combine the best of the two systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back