CD3000 amp - ppa v my amp
Feb 16, 2005 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jtwn

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just wondering, am i likely to notice a difference between a ppa w/ bass boost and the integrated amp i have at the moment.

Its most likely a crock of ****, but its sounds pretty good to me, though it does bring out the harshness a bit, if anybody knows it its a Technics SU-Z25, from the early eighties some time.

I have the bass and treble controls turned up, and do get that hiss, noticeable in quiet parts of the films.

Just Would like to know if the difference is that great, iyo, for me to not regret buying one - can't audition anything round here :/

Thanks for any replies

Edit: I know what i'm trying to achieve after further listening - transparency, would the ppa help this? Aswell as maybe bringing the music in a bit closer?

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 7
I have not heard any receiver that gave me what my PPA offer with the CD3000, in other words, yes the change is noticeable unless you get that Denon receiver that markl used to have, that IIRC includes a dedicated headphone section at the jack....you will get transparency, no hiss, better control of the sound specially the bass, and an overall cleaner sound.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 7
another option would be the Corda HA-1 mkII, if it is within your budget. i find the synergy between my Corda and the CD3000's to be amazing. i can't wait until i get my CD3000 *crosses fingers for next week*

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks both for your replies.

Ill soon have about $750 to drop on some gear but i think you are talking about the AVR-5800?, just a bit out of my price range...just a bit
icon10.gif

Got a Denon receiver myself, but the bass seems to just not go any lower at one point, though the sound sounds a bit more...cleaner than my other amp.

I've read good about the HA-1 aswell as the ppa, was stuck in deciding but the ppa just pulls through for the upgradeability, as i understand i can add a dac for $150 or so? + with the bass boost (and jtwn likes his bass
evil_smiley.gif
, it just pulls through).

I'm planning on dropping < $200 on a source but i guess thats for the other forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 7
i don't know if a stacked PPA beats a Corda soundwise, but it would probably sound very good. the Corda is quite flat, sound response wise, so it may not do it for you if you want exaggerated bass.

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i don't know if a stacked PPA beats a Corda soundwise, but it would probably sound very good. the Corda is quite flat, sound response wise, so it may not do it for you if you want exaggerated bass.

I probably shouldn't say anything since I only heard that Corda for a minute or two at the meet. It is definately better than a Pimeta, but I am not sure if it compares to a nice PPA. I finally finished up my PPA with Steps and I am pretty impressed with it. It has great bass with the HD650s without bass boost. I have a little bit of tweaking to do still to. Still don't have diamond buffers, so that should be a nice upgrade when they come.

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

I have not heard any of the Corda amps, but for your information the PPA is a very underrated amp here, my PPA sounds no short to any amp I have heard to the date, including a few multithousand tube amps (some of them, rated over the HA-1 MKII and even the HA-2, at least, but as I have not heard them, I preffer not to talk about comparisons for now, OK?
Just do it the right way, with decent to good parts, and you will have a very good high-end amp. I'm using uncle Phil's dynobiased diamond buffers, internal regulation, and a liner PSU, and the AD8065 on the three channels for now, and the sound is unbelievable and ridiculously good for what I paid for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back