cd users, how long will cd time period last?
Feb 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
first, i'm a cd user. i can't see say myself a cd lover but i just don't like using data file(mp3/lossless) somehow but anyway, i've been looking for a cd player upgrade and while i'm looking what i can for my budget and i'm thinking when will people stop using cd, like cassette or lp. i know people still use cassettle or lp but not like cd. when will this stop and what's the next media?

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 22
The CD won't die any time soon. That isn't to say digital files won't become more popular.

But the CD and the LP are the two most successful formats ever, with hundreds of millions of each in circulation. There's just too much media for them to go away. It's too early to get nostalgic about CDs, but in 10-15 years, people will be beating on the lossless formats and talking about how much better ordinary CDs sound.

If you're after a player, there are a lot of good ones out right now. I'm partial to Rega's CD players. Great build quality and sound even better. But many other good ones are on the market. You might even want to consider a SACD player. If you like classical and jazz, you'll be especially pleased by the sound.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 22
Yeah, for some people the time has already come, but not for me.

Maybe once there are reasonable ways to buy lossless albums that can be transfered and transcoded without problems, and come with album liner notes, then I'll look at making a switch.

For now, I'll stick to my CDs that I can rip into whatever format I want.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe once there are reasonable ways to buy lossless albums that can be transfered and transcoded without problems, and come with album liner notes, then I'll look at making a switch.

That can't be more than a year or two away, record companies had to have seen this one comin'.

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 22
It's likely that your MP3s will be replaced by a different incompatible format before your CDs will. The hard drive or removable media you store them on are even more likely to be obsolete sooner.

See ya
Steve

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 22
Well, if we do all go to digital files they better come up with a way to make HDD's more robust because it is too easy too lose your collection due to a HDD crash. As it is now I keep my collection on three different HDD's just to make sure it is relatively secure.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 22
I'll give them fifteen more years as a viable format, i.e. one can count on a new album being release on CD. Flash cards are an interesting option in a few years for a physical media option. Could you imagine all one thousand of your albums in your suitcase? Audiophile flash card players with huge power supplies! No moving parts...no scratches?

Whatever is left of the cd life span, it's up to the millennials. I'm meeting more and more young kids getting into music that don't own one, and I live in Oklahoma folks. We're not as backwards as some believe, but we're not cutting edge either.. Once they're grown up and have purchasing power, the cd will become scarce. Best Buy has already begun shrinking their floor space dedicated to redbook.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 22
The CD became obsolete as soon as hard drives made ripping practical. If you want physical media, buy LPs--at least you get something for your money, instead of completely ordinary and unnecessary plastic disc.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 22
CD's are not going away anytime soon, tons of people still use records, I prefer CD's to digital files, but what can I say I'm one of the few people walking around with a sony CDplayer walkman.

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 22
Even if no one produces CD anymore tomorrow, I still have enough to last me a lifetime -- and the used market is colossal.

DRM will still be a big hurdle to wide adoption of sound files in the near future -- no one wants to pay for something that may or may not be playable under future hardware and software.

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 22
The way I see it is this: given the stunning popularity and rapid development of the DVD, you'll have a cd player available for many, many years. I've never seen a DVD player that can't do cd redbook easily in addition to many other formats.
But, there is concern. If instant downloads of video becomes a reality (like the Apple imovie), the demise of the physical disk could be quite rapid. Most music delivery systems that have come and gone in my time (and there are many) went away because of inferior sound: 8-track, cassette, El-cassette (anyone else buy one of those dogs?), 45 rpm lps, etc.
I'm also a pragmatist, and own more than a few high-quality cd players that I will carefully store for future insurance -- just in case.

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also a pragmatist, and own more than a few high-quality cd players that I will carefully store for future insurance -- just in case.

this is also one of my concern. what if i can't get a cd player in let say, 30 years later? or no cd-rom/dvd-rom in 30 years? of course, i remember will smith was using a cd player in i-robot
eggosmile.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 22
Right now, 95% of all music sales are on physical media (i.e. CDs).

Just like there are people who refuse to abandon vinyl because of sound quality, there will be people who refuse to download crappy mp3s (i'm one of them). There are also people who like the packaging you can't get with downloads.

Reports of the demise of the CD have been greatly exaggerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back