Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Feb 23, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #3,241 of 3,685
I bought all from Aliexpress 🙂 I got a good deals in singles day, I am lucky to not have got any bad experience so far but AliExpress has its it pros and cons like returns, long wait time, I'll still suggest Amazon (another seller) or other well known retailers, its probably safer and you can return it as many times as there is an issue.
There's different third parties. I want to make sure I don't get counterfeit products.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #3,242 of 3,685
I have bought an Unique melody Mest mk2 came with a 4.4 cable.
Anyone tried mest 2 with Ru6 and iphone 13 pro max? No problem?
Im between cayin ru6 and ua5 shangling, don't know what fits best
Hey I’m going for the exact same combo mest mk2 with ru6. how’s yours fairing ?

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3,245 of 3,685
Not a
Anyone else finds Cayin RU-6 pairing sounds particularly odd with some headphones? For example, I find it sounds great with Liric but a bit strange with Arya Stealth in NOS mode.
Seems like a synergy issue and also the fact that the RU6 isn't going to drive the Arya SE well. I've noticed this with every DAC/Amp I've tried, some of my Transducers work well with a one DAC while others don't sound as good as they can with another DAC.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #3,246 of 3,685
Not a

Seems like a synergy issue and also the fact that the RU6 isn't going to drive the Arya SE well. I've noticed this with every DAC/Amp I've tried, some of my Transducers work well with a one DAC while others don't sound as good as they can with another DAC.
Makes sense. I guess that Liric are just so easy to drive and that makes audible difference between low powered amps more subtle. However, I love how the RU-6 sounds with the Liric.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #3,247 of 3,685
Use it on 76 instead, or one of the volumes right before the skip happens (64, 76, 88, 100). Trust me, you will get much less noise this way, and overall cleaner sound.
I have to say the sound is perfect now. The volume set to 88 and then fed into my MT-602 amp. Loud enough and the NOS mode fits perfect for tube sound!

They really add to each other. Much better then my FiiO Q3 combined with a MT-602 would sound. Finally, to get good sound on my IEMs I have installed a 110 Ohm adapter on the 3.5mm jack of my amp. Result: inaudible noise floor with IEMs + full gain range with the volume knob.

Mar 10, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #3,248 of 3,685
Just received my balanced cable for my focal clears. Holy hell with the ru6 it's like being in a concert hall. Night and day to using 3.5mm

Attachments

• 20230311_153147.jpg
    20230311_153147.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #3,249 of 3,685
Has anyone got any opinions on the RU6 with BA IEMs?

I'm currently using KZ ASTs with RU6. After hours of listening, I find the difference between the SE 3.5 and balanced 4.4 outputs on the RU6 is night and day. The ASTs are somewhat muddy and closed in sounding from the single ended ouptut (using an upgraded 3.5 tripowin zonie 16 core cable).

Switching the ASTs to a 4.4 balanced cable (tripowin 16 core cable) and suddenly these IEMs sound much better - more open and detailed across all frequencies. They are the one IEM that I possess that truly benefit from a balanced 4.4 output. My other IEMs sound a bit better but the difference is more marginal.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #3,250 of 3,685

I'm currently using KZ ASTs with RU6. After hours of listening, I find the difference between the SE 3.5 and balanced 4.4 outputs on the RU6 is night and day. The ASTs are somewhat muddy and closed in sounding from the single ended ouptut (using an upgraded 3.5 tripowin zonie 16 core cable).

Switching the ASTs to a 4.4 balanced cable (tripowin 16 core cable) and suddenly these IEMs sound much better - more open and detailed across all frequencies. They are the one IEM that I possess that truly benefit from a balanced 4.4 output. My other IEMs sound a bit better but the difference is more marginal.
I have the same experience with my Shure SE535s using a balanced cable from FiiO

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #3,251 of 3,685

I have moved pretty much all of my IEMs to balanced cables (or modular cables) since most of my sources are balanced capable and I use that by default. I haven't ever really noticed big differences between single ended and balanced when volume matched, but I don't think I have ever tried the 3.5mm output on my RU6. I'll have to give it a shot with my Andromedas when I get back to my RU6 as I don't have it on me right now. I'll report back...👍

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #3,252 of 3,685
Indeed balanced is better but keep in mind that the RU6 doesn't offer a true balanced solution.

I have started the RU6 journey believing that Low gain and NOS was the way to go but that changed overtime. Especially after more than 200 hours of use. Believe me, this dongle needs a burn-in period. Not only that but never judge it by the first 10 to 15 minutes of listening. Like every R2R system, it needs time to "warm up".

My usage experience has led me to state that the RU6 is really special when, after done what stated above, one use it in High gain and OS mode.

Give it a try and just let me know.

Right now the RU6 came back as a DAC (double amping) in my desktop with a Rupert Neve RNHP amp. It replaced the SMSL that I have and dislike that was purchased in the first place to replace the RU6 that was temporarily doing the DAC functions at the desktop.

I also use it sometimes with my iPhone and a Vorzuge amp. What a sweet combination it is. The RU6 works with everything I have (which is not much) and never stopped to amaze me.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #3,253 of 3,685
D9AD8A07-D4AD-4C78-85DD-C9E418132DE1.jpeg

Using this combo on iPhone and iPad, the output from the iPad is much more enjoyable with more dynamics and stage on same volume on RU6.

Any recommendations to get these closer ?

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #3,254 of 3,685
Indeed balanced is better but keep in mind that the RU6 doesn't offer a true balanced solution.

I have started the RU6 journey believing that Low gain and NOS was the way to go but that changed overtime. Especially after more than 200 hours of use. Believe me, this dongle needs a burn-in period. Not only that but never judge it by the first 10 to 15 minutes of listening. Like every R2R system, it needs time to "warm up".

My usage experience has led me to state that the RU6 is really special when, after done what stated above, one use it in High gain and OS mode.

Right now the RU6 came back as a DAC (double amping) in my desktop with a Rupert Neve RNHP amp. It replaced the SMSL that I have and dislike that was purchased in the first place to replace the RU6 that was temporarily doing the DAC functions at the desktop.

I also use it sometimes with my iPhone and a Vorzuge amp. What a sweet combination it is. The RU6 works with everything I have (which is not much) and never stopped to amaze me.
Double amping seems to actually enhance the clarity this dongle can provide. In my example I am using the RU6 together with a Sabaj A10h amp (ifi iPower 15V power supply) and the sound just keeps on improving.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #3,255 of 3,685

I'll have to give this a go. I do like the sound of the RU6 when double camping with full sized cans. I actually think this is the way to go with headphones and the RU6. I usually go with L gain, NOS mode when double amping, although I did try H gain with the DT880 Pros. Will have to try in H gain OS mode.
I wanted to go back to trying the RU6 directly with IEMs when testing my latest purchase (the ASTs). Have just been surpised at the night and day offerings this IEM poses out of both 3.5 and 4.4 outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back