Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #3,226 of 3,685
Not very well. I don't have a HE1000 V2 but considering that it struggles and clips with Sundara & Edition XS, I'd say you'll need a more powerful DAC & Amp.

The HE1000V2 is already being powered by the Soloist+Supercharger.

Thinking of grabbing the RU6 for my portable needs and even though a bit of a far cry but still I wanted a general opinion as to what to expect if I plug in the HE1000V2 into the RU6?

How is the RU6 as a standalone DAC?

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #3,227 of 3,685
The HE1000V2 is already being powered by the Soloist+Supercharger.

Thinking of grabbing the RU6 for my portable needs and even though a bit of a far cry but still I wanted a general opinion as to what to expect if I plug in the HE1000V2 into the RU6?

How is the RU6 as a standalone DAC?
By standalone, Do you mean RU6 on it's own? It's good, it's the cheapest R2R option and as long as you are comparing it with similar priced dongle DACs, it's one of the best. It won't be winning any awards for clarity, resolution, dynamics but it does tonality, wider soundstage, fuller mids... e.t.c. really well. Again, for it's price it is one of the better options for those looking for an organic sound. It won't be beating other higher priced DACs like Mojo 2, RS2, Gryphon...

If you meant using RU6 as a DAC to other Amps, it depends on the Amp and also on the person listening. Some are happy with using external Amps with RU6 and some like me aren't as impressed.

As for how HE1000 V2 would sound from the RU6, it would probably have anemic Bass, leaner overall sound and it might clip at higher volumes. Again, don't have a HE1000 V2, I'm extrapolating from my experience with Sundara and Edition XS.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #3,228 of 3,685
By standalone, Do you mean RU6 on it's own? It's good, it's the cheapest R2R option and as long as you are comparing it with similar priced dongle DACs, it's one of the best. It won't be winning any awards for clarity, resolution, dynamics but it does tonality, wider soundstage, fuller mids... e.t.c. really well. Again, for it's price it is one of the better options for those looking for an organic sound. It won't be beating other higher priced DACs like Mojo 2, RS2, Gryphon...

If you meant using RU6 as a DAC to other Amps, it depends on the Amp and also on the person listening. Some are happy with using external Amps with RU6 and some like me aren't as impressed.

As for how HE1000 V2 would sound from the RU6, it would probably have anemic Bass, leaner overall sound and it might clip at higher volumes. Again, don't have a HE1000 V2, I'm extrapolating from my experience with Sundara and Edition XS.

Also I have found if you use it as a standalone DAC with another amp you've got to really crank your source and amp volume up quite a bit with more demanding headphones. I just use it as a dongle alone and bought a modi multibit 2 to do dedicated DAC duties in a similar if not better manner.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #3,229 of 3,685
Also I have found if you use it as a standalone DAC with another amp you've got to really crank your source and amp volume up quite a bit with more demanding headphones. I just use it as a dongle alone and bought a modi multibit 2 to do dedicated DAC duties in a similar if not better manner.
I think it's because the Output Voltage isn't that high on the RU6.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #3,230 of 3,685
Can anyone help me with an RU6 technical issue? I am scratching my head. The device powers on when plugged into android phone and mac as usual l but has now stopped outputting any signal from any tested source. Mac no longer displays output as RU6 etc and phone plays through internal speaker. I wondered if there is a way to factory reset to test the software of if it is just bust. Very frustrating.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #3,231 of 3,685
Can anyone help me with an RU6 technical issue? I am scratching my head. The device powers on when plugged into android phone and mac as usual l but has now stopped outputting any signal from any tested source. Mac no longer displays output as RU6 etc and phone plays through internal speaker. I wondered if there is a way to factory reset to test the software of if it is just bust. Very frustrating.
Looks power ON, 100% same as plugged in to a 5V mobile charger?
If yes, 99% its alive but no data transmission -> is the trouble with cable ? Or with contact points?
Focus on the cable.
Try other one
Post in thread 'Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113/post-17224187

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,232 of 3,685
I settled for an iBasso Dc03Pro after returning the RU6; the seller said it wasn't faulty in his testing. I'm gonna see how the iBasso performs to my listening experience before I decide whether or not I want to go back to the Cayin RU6. The little time I had with the RU6 sound, despite not working with my computer very well, I felt like I wasn't getting a lot of texture in the music, almost like there was mush near the lower end, or as if it was being blanketed, and I found the mid-highs to sort of jump out of nowhere, like there was erratic volume changes within a track. I will say though, I do think there was a noticable change from when it first came out of the box, and then warmed up for a bit, but I don't know if it really got better per se, just larger in soundstage, and maybe slightly more dense spatially. If anyone has any other budget suggestions for kind of robust sounding devices but not necessarily muddled, would appreciate that. Who knows? Might end up with an RU6 again.

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #3,233 of 3,685
I settled for an iBasso Dc03Pro after returning the RU6; the seller said it wasn't faulty in his testing. I'm gonna see how the iBasso performs to my listening experience before I decide whether or not I want to go back to the Cayin RU6. The little time I had with the RU6 sound, despite not working with my computer very well, I felt like I wasn't getting a lot of texture in the music, almost like there was mush near the lower end, or as if it was being blanketed, and I found the mid-highs to sort of jump out of nowhere, like there was erratic volume changes within a track. I will say though, I do think there was a noticable change from when it first came out of the box, and then warmed up for a bit, but I don't know if it really got better per se, just larger in soundstage, and maybe slightly more dense spatially. If anyone has any other budget suggestions for kind of robust sounding devices but not necessarily muddled, would appreciate that. Who knows? Might end up with an RU6 again.
Questyle M15

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #3,235 of 3,685
You have a few of the recent dongle dacs, if so, how do they compare?
M15 is the most resolving / cleanest of all my dongles, I dont have high end IEM's though only the Timeless AE and Moondrop Kato, Ikko OH10 is still in the box so havent had a chance to listen, I like the M15 with Kato more, and RU6 with the Timeless, the only portable device that beats the M15 is the Mojo 2 not necessarly in detals / resolution but slightly bigger soundstage and obviously more power, but seriuosly M15 for that price and form factor is a killer deal, please keep in mind that all dongles as per my experince will suffer from EMI / RFI noise from time to time, I have a post somewhere which can remedy it somewhat but it can still occur.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #3,236 of 3,685
M15 is the most resolving / cleanest of all my dongles, I dont have high end IEM's though only the Timeless AE and Moondrop Kato, Ikko OH10 is still in the box so havent had a chance to listen, I like the M15 with Kato more, and RU with the Timeless, the only portable device that beats the M15 is the Mojo 2 not necessarly in detals / resolution but slightly bigger soundstage and obviously more power, but seriuosly M15 for that price and form factor is a killer deal, please keep in mind that all dongles as per my experince will suffer from EMI / RFI noise from time to time, I have a post somewhere which can remedy it somewhat but it can still occur.
The M15 was another one I was looking at too.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #3,237 of 3,685
I'm extremely unhappy right now. I just received the iBasso I mentioned above, and it's completely opened with fingerprints all over it, and it's the authorized dealer for iBasso products; I paid full price too. I'm not getting lucky with these devices. I just want something to enjoy. I hope Amazon keeps to their promise and refunds me in full, because I'm not paying for return shipping/pick up.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #3,238 of 3,685
I'm extremely unhappy right now. I just received the iBasso I mentioned above, and it's completely opened with fingerprints all over it, and it's the authorized dealer for iBasso products; I paid full price too. I'm not getting lucky with these devices. I just want something to enjoy. I hope Amazon keeps to their promise and refunds me in full, because I'm not paying for return shipping/pick up.
Amazon return is quite good, they should return at no extra cost, if not have a chat with their customer service they will sort it out for sure.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #3,239 of 3,685
Amazon return is quite good, they should return at no extra cost, if not have a chat with their customer service they will sort it out for sure.
I'll probably buy from the source manufacturer from now on, if there isn't very established retailers selling the devices. Is there a list of trustworthy retailers for these types of items, besides Musicteck? They were fantastic for when I purchased the RU6, and dealing with my return when I had a problem with the device.

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #3,240 of 3,685
I bought all from Aliexpress 🙂 I got a good deals in singles day, I am lucky to not have got any bad experience so far but AliExpress has its it pros and cons like returns, long wait time, I'll still suggest Amazon (another seller) or other well known retailers, its probably safer and you can return it as many times as there is an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back