Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,061 of 3,686
When searching for the RU6 feedback, outside of this forum, the general opinion about this dongle seems to be way more negative than positive. What puzzles me is how can there be such extreme feelings about the same product?

There is a particular forum that reviewed it and just trashed it from first to last post almost. s u p e r b e s t a u d i o f r i e n d s
What you hear and what you measure is different. There’s plenty of good reviews too. Think a record from 1930’s with plenty of distortion - can sound amazing in its own way. A perfectly measured product can sound harsh and metallic because no sound you’re used to hearing is perfect. Think TV with super resolution, some colors are better than in real life. Or polarized sunglasses… you’ll see thing in the best way, but is it right or wrong?

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #3,062 of 3,686
What you hear and what you measure is different. There’s plenty of good reviews too. Think a record from 1930’s with plenty of distortion - can sound amazing in its own way. A perfectly measured product can sound harsh and metallic because no sound you’re used to hearing is perfect. Think TV with super resolution, some colors are better than in real life. Or polarized sunglasses… you’ll see thing in the best way, but is it right or wrong?
Indeed, I have no doubt about that. I know that the review was based mostly in measurements but across the posts, many tried it an would still bash it left and right. Anyway, I was just amazed by the Love it or hate it groups. Almost no in-between :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, I received my unit which unfortunately was faulty (and I believe it was used before. Does the box usually comes sealed? like with a plastic over it or is it just a sort of "sticker" that could easily be removed if one really wanted by opening it very carefully..

It was the only one in stock so I got refunded. Meanwhile I found a coworker who had one (just bought it himself a week ago) and was kind enough to borrow it for a couple of days. I really liked the sound even if break-in time was not over yet.

So now I have to find another source in Europe to order from (not many available at nice prices). Probably after Christmas will be easier to snatch a good deal.

Cheers.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #3,063 of 3,686
Indeed, I have no doubt about that. I know that the review was based mostly in measurements but across the posts, many tried it an would still bash it left and right. Anyway, I was just amazed by the Love it or hate it groups. Almost no in-between :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway, I received my unit which unfortunately was faulty (and I believe it was used before. Does the box usually comes sealed? like with a plastic over it or is it just a sort of "sticker" that could easily be removed if one really wanted by opening it very carefully..

It was the only one in stock so I got refunded. Meanwhile I found a coworker who had one (just bought it himself a week ago) and was kind enough to borrow it for a couple of days. I really liked the sound even if break-in time was not over yet.

So now I have to find another source in Europe to order from (not many available at nice prices). Probably after Christmas will be easier to snatch a good deal.

Cheers.
I think it's going to be about clean sound vs. sound with color on this one. I am getting mine in 2 days. Mine is an open box so mine will have been used for a little (demo version). I don't think the seal should be opened if a new version so that sounds strange. I am getting a few dongles and amps to try out a few options before I make a more substantial purchase in the early year.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #3,064 of 3,686
Thanks for being such an important part of the Cayin community. Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

2022 Christmas Greeting.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 31, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #3,065 of 3,686
On the last day of 2022, we want to thank our friends and users for your long-term support and participation. Your contribution is the main reason that endorses RU6 as one of the benchmarks for the Personal Audio community. Both Headfonics and Dongle Madness have named RU6 as the Best DAC/Amp Dongle in 2022, and we believe RU6 is also the best Dongle DAC to a lot of personal encaustic in this thread.

2022 is a difficult year, we are looking forward to 2023 and with your support, we'll bring more joy and fun to all cayin friends and users in the coming year. :beerchug:

RU6 Headfonics Product of the Year 2022.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 3, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #3,066 of 3,686
So just got mine, a little late in the audiophile world since 1 month after something it's released it becomes dull and out of hype, anyways. I own plenty of DACs including ifi go bar, W2, peek51, ltp S2 and q15.

So far this is quite astonishing, bass lacks a bit of depth imo, but I'm coming from the colorfly cda m1 which imo it's the most analogue dongle there is, the ru6 is quite interesting, imo one of the best I tried in a while. I love the mids, it made my IMR opus mia come to life, it needs more power than some other iems I own

Sorry for the lazy question. Is there a firmware update for this?

Was a bit freaked out by not getting the tidal exclusive mode but I already saw the info in the first page.

Rumble is good, but coming from the q15 and the apogee grove I can tell there's the slightest bit missing, still, an amazing option. Size is not a problem since I think it's a bit narrower than the q15.

Soundstage it's tremendous, not a fan of oversampling but still will try it.

Now the question, is this better than r01 (again. Not lazyness but I'm swamped with work) I own e01, t01 and a01, but I never carry my n6ii with me, too much bulk and risk to take out an expensive dap into mexico city just because audio hehehe

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #3,067 of 3,686
Anyone using RU6 with UAPP? I always miss the first second of an album or of any track I jump to. I know there is an option in UAPP to delay the start but that's not helping me. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and/or this can be fixed through a firmware update?

The delay doesn't happen if I just use UAPP on my phone, and neither does it happen if I use Poweramp with RU6, so this is really pointing towards a combination of the 2 I guess.

Tnx...

drftr

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #3,068 of 3,686
Hello, just bought the Cayin RU6, I love the sound but have some interferences with my Samsung S21 ultra , no interference with the cable of the S2 ultra but I have problem of disconnect. Could you help me and tell me which cable I need to buy...Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #3,069 of 3,686
Anyone using RU6 with UAPP? I always miss the first second of an album or of any track I jump to. I know there is an option in UAPP to delay the start but that's not helping me. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and/or this can be fixed through a firmware update?

The delay doesn't happen if I just use UAPP on my phone, and neither does it happen if I use Poweramp with RU6, so this is really pointing towards a combination of the 2 I guess.

Tnx...

drftr
Odd, I use both with no misses at all.

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #3,071 of 3,686
Hello, just bought the Cayin RU6, I love the sound but have some interferences with my Samsung S21 ultra , no interference with the cable of the S2 ultra but I have problem of disconnect. Could you help me and tell me which cable I need to buy...Thanks.
There are good cables from DDHifi on Ali express. However I got this and works really well

GUCraftsman USB C Type C to Type C Headphone Amplifier Cable 6N Single Crystal Silver for FiiO BTR5 Q1 Q3 Q3s Qudelix 5K xDuoo Link2 XD-05PLUS E1DA 9038G3 9038S 9038D Lotoo PAW S2¡ https://a.co/d/f0D0O9C

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #3,072 of 3,686
There are good cables from DDHifi on Ali express. However I got this and works really well

GUCraftsman USB C Type C to Type C Headphone Amplifier Cable 6N Single Crystal Silver for FiiO BTR5 Q1 Q3 Q3s Qudelix 5K xDuoo Link2 XD-05PLUS E1DA 9038G3 9038S 9038D Lotoo PAW S2¡ https://a.co/d/f0D0O9C
GUCraftsman didn’t work for me - had to return it.

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #3,073 of 3,686
GUCraftsman didn’t work for me - had to return it.
Oh .. it works well with my one plus 8T 5G and iPad Pro 2020. It is interesting how these cables work on some devices and don’t on others. Stock cable was noisy , Samsung cable was good but had RFI with iPad. This gucraftsman works on all.

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #3,074 of 3,686
Oh .. it works well with my one plus 8T 5G and iPad Pro 2020. It is interesting how these cables work on some devices and don’t on others. Stock cable was noisy , Samsung cable was good but had RFI with iPad. This gucraftsman works on all.
This was just broken I think - iPhone 13 Pro. I have 3 others that all work. One is so expensive I’ve not used it yet lol

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #3,075 of 3,686
I love RU6, however, I only use DAP outdoors. The only use of RU6 for me is with computers. I found RU6 incredible with either my MacBook pro or PC, it really shines with more powerful sources

Users who are viewing this thread

Back