Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Nov 28, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 1,977
Yes, I have X5, that is my causal DAP that I carried with me everyday. N6 beats X5 on sound quality hands down, I don't even need to A/B compare them, the different is indeed very obvious.

The overall control and user interface of these two DAP are on the same level, smooth, stable, easy to use, X5 has been around for 10 months so the firmware is refined with more detail, N6 is still underdevelopment so is lacking on small details, but we have yet to see the production version, IMO, the current beta version is better then the first production version of X5 already. The control wheel of X5 and Jog Dial of N6 are two of a kind, I prefer the jog dial but that can be a personal preference!

Look is subjective, but N6 has better build quality.

X5 is still excel with two TF cards which mean larger capacity and allow you to swap card while playing. X5 is also smaller and later in dimension and weight, so if you have to carry it around in you jacket, you might need to take that into consideration. As I put my DAP in a small carrying, so small margin doesn't make a lot of different to me.

Thank you for the answer, but I want to know the "how" on why its improved , for example How is the bass, how is the treble and how is the mids , pacing and soundstage?

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #32 of 1,977
Thank you for the answer, but I want to know the "how" on why its improved , for example How is the bass, how is the treble and how is the mids , pacing and soundstage?

Well, I didn't do a detail comparison between x5 and N6, and I probably won't be doing it, the different is too obvious and I see no point to write an report on how N6 beat X5 hands down. When N6 is fighting with DX100 edge to edge, X5 really is not in the same league when come to sound quality comparison.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #33 of 1,977
I'm not doubting you, but if it handily beats the X5 like you are saying, this could very well be the best sounding DAP out. Better than AK240 and 901. I don't think I've read any DAP just handily beating the X5,so obviously that an AB comparison was not needed.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #34 of 1,977
I'm not doubting you, but if it handily beats the X5 like you are saying, this could very well be the best sounding DAP out. Better than AK240 and 901. I don't think I've read any DAP just handily beating the X5,so obviously that an AB comparison was not needed.
What one person hears as clearly beating could be a slight difference to you or the other way around. Do not try to rebuild the whole scale from one source, well do it if you want but I'd advise against it :D

This player seems interesting but I am really not buying the build. I mean, th look is so so but original. But it seems plasticky.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #35 of 1,977
What one person hears as clearly beating could be a slight difference to you or the other way around. Do not try to rebuild the whole scale from one source, well do it if you want but I'd advise against it :D

This player seems interesting but I am really not buying the build. I mean, th look is so so but original. But it seems plasticky.

Michael, I'm no longer listening to you as you already ruined my rwak240!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #37 of 1,977
That's what I was figuring. The form factor of hifiman would drive insane. 901s, if it's similar to the 650, I could deal with it. Unfortunately, I'd sacrifice sound for the better looks and experience, which is why I love the AK devices.

N6, I don't like the shape much either, but the screen looks pretty nice, and the carbon fiber back is sexy as hell. I'm sure I will add another 2 daps, fiio x7 for sure, and either this, cowon p1, or calyx m.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #38 of 1,977
That's what I was figuring. The form factor of hifiman would drive insane. 901s, if it's similar to the 650, I could deal with it. Unfortunately, I'd sacrifice sound for the better looks and experience, which is why I love the AK devices.

C6, I don't like the shape much either, but the screen looks pretty nice, and the carbon fiber back is sexy as hell. I'm sure I will add another 2 daps, fiio x7 for sure, and either this, cowon p1, or calyx m.

N6
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #40 of 1,977

Well, to my ears, DX100 also beats the X5 hands down, so that's the scale I am working on, if that helps you to "interpret" what I have in mind.

In my book, DAP is a lot more then just sound quality, the control and total user experience (including battery life) is as important as sound quality, and that why I use X5 more often when I owned both X5 and DX100 up till now.

Well, we have to admit that look and feel does affect how we receive a DAP, to certain extend at least. I don't really care much about how it looks as quite often I put them into a back pack or wear them on my waist, which mean I won't be seeing them, I care about build quality a lot more then appearance, I enjoy laying my hands on well-engineered or highly-crafted gadgets, and the one-piece CNC aluminum chassis really appeal to me.

I have heard the AK240 and 901, I prefer N6 over AK240, and I think 901 and N6 are in the same par on sound quality - well, if you put the right card in 901 for the right headphone, that is hard to beat.

N6 is not the best sounding DAP I have ever heard, Lotoo PAW Gold win my heart. I didn't have enough hours on the Lotoo as I wanted to, but I need more hours to try out the control interface and Parametric EQ to arrive at an overall impression.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #41 of 1,977

Indeed, that's why we call this an impression, and I have tried my best to not mixing up my impression against factual detail of N6 by splitting my writing into two posts: the opening post is factual, the subsequent impression is subjective.

And if my posts can draw your attention to try out the N6 seriously, I think I have achieved what I come here for. Buying or not buying N6 won't mean anything to me, but being able to share our thoughts and opinions are the steak and lobster that I am looking forwards to.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #42 of 1,977

N6, I don't like the shape much either, but the screen looks pretty nice, and the carbon fiber back is sexy as hell. I'm sure I will add another 2 daps, fiio x7 for sure, and either this, cowon p1, or calyx m.

Looks like 901s will take a while, Fan said the 901s will be CNC chassis, that is new to Hifiman and I am sure that worth keep an close eye with.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #45 of 1,977
Indeed, that's why we call this an impression, and I have tried my best to not mixing up my impression against factual detail of N6 by splitting my writing into two posts: the opening post is factual, the subsequent impression is subjective.

And if my posts can draw your attention to try out the N6 seriously, I think I have achieved what I come here for. Buying or not buying N6 won't mean anything to me, but being able to share our thoughts and opinions are the steak and lobster that I am looking forwards to.

I like sexy players so I just got a Cowon P1...but I am truly interested in the Lotoo...but I find it too expensive for the design and UI..;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back