Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #301 of 877
Is a nonsense argument, yours and mine, you did get the meaning of it, yes youre right AK is not the ferrari of dap makers , is the Lamborghini, sorry for my mistake

You're both wrong, it's obviously the Maserati of DAPs. Jeeze, get it straight!

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #303 of 877
Had a short audition today and here are what I like (using my Elysium):

- the warm sound of the Classic tube mode
- the damping of the mechanical volume dial is better than that of N3Pro (but I think the grip of N3U can be better)
- UI is smooth
- the monitor size
- the mobile phone interference was minimal when I put my IPhone side-by-side
- the transparent bumper case is pretty nice
- for music of jazz/acoustic guitars (but not so much for electronic music like Kraftwerk’s)

Can be better:
- the track slider could be bigger for those with fat fingers (can be done in next firmware?)

IMG_6809.jpeg
Against my ZX-707

IMG_6810.jpeg
They glow!

IMG_6813.jpeg
The track slider can be bigger.
As far as the track slider is concerned... it looks like the Cayin music app in which by touching the little icon (looks like a shirt) in the bottom left... cycles thru different interfaces... you can change it to a basic line slider

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #304 of 877
You need to check yourself into a sanitarium and get help. Just make sure to take the N7 and the MEST MK2 with you before you go.
In which it would be the only sane thing to do...😉 Unless of course his N3Ultra arrives...

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #305 of 877
Just a hands on, was handholding the unit on the subway, the tube playback was interrupted a few times with half a second...
No interruptions when I switch to solid state.

Also no interruptions when I have it place on a desk (with tube playback).

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #306 of 877
I read and read here and there and except for my error of interpretation, I ask: don't you always gain better sound by investing in the IEM than in the DAP? This question is quite confusing. 🤔

May I ask what device are you using to drive your IEMs at this moment?

Unless you believe "all amplifiers sound the same" or "a mobile phone can sound as good as any DAP", then you should at least equip yourselves with a DAP or Dongle DAC that can handle your IEM collections satisfactorily. This is a good starting point to do your IEM collection justice.

If you already own a decent source/amplifier, I concur with your assumption that you should build up your IEM collections first. However, I do not agree with the term "investment" in audiophile hobby. If that's where you start, you should primarily consider the secondhand value of your choice of equipment instead of audio performance or preferred sound signature.

sure IEMs have bigger impact on sound over DAP but when you have all IEMs that you like, you start looking at tweaking the sound a little with DAPs in particular the one that do not sound like the mass market: with tubes, R2R, 1 bit…

I find it difficult to explain the pros and cons of changing a DAP or amplifier when users are putting a lot of focus on what you can hear in 1 minute ABA comparisons. IMHO, users will focus on the Frequency response curve under these audition settings. If you can, you can try using the new DAP for several days and then switch back to your old player, if you feel you lost something after 1-2 hours with your old player, that's the change that really impacts your listening experience, IMHO.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #307 of 877
Actually, first I was feeling such device should be really anachronistic in 2024 without being able to be a BT receiver or able to handle any Streaming services ... then, when I think how I am using my Quloos MUB1 these days.. stacked as simple DAC to my Galaxy Z Fold 5 (1Tb) with a short USB-C cable connected to my IER-Z1R .. I think, maybe it has some sense to test the N3Ultra as a first attempt to Vacuum "tube", though I am not sure I will really appreciate a higher distortion level, probably no pure blank background and less streo separation.

I wonder if N3Ultra hardware buttons are still active when it is used as simple DAC for Qobuz (skip/forward/play/pause) like MUB1's buttons are fully available and active in DAC mode with Z Fold 5 ? as it is an old limited version of android, I have some doubt about it with Cayin.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #308 of 877
May I ask what device are you using to drive your IEMs at this moment?
Of course, the HiBy R3II model as the beginning of this race. With this, let's say humble base, I have already been able to verify the obvious: how different the various IEMs I have sound, among them, the best one I have is the NEO 5 from ISN.
Unless you believe "all amplifiers sound the same" or "a mobile phone can sound as good as any DAP", then you should at least equip yourselves with a DAP or Dongle DAC that can handle your IEM collections satisfactorily. This is a good starting point to do your IEM collection justice.
No, not all amplifiers and mobile phones sound the same, much less amplifiers, but I know that the final link in the chain is in the hands of the set of speakers. Before leaving, I had a good set of Bowers & Wilkins speakers and NAD electronics. Now we have to rescue part of that musical charm but in a good portable device. By the way, and by the way, this whole digital issue has revolutionized a lot and entry-level or basic players like the N3Ultra model are now available.
If you already own a decent source/amplifier, I concur with your assumption that you should build up your IEM collections first. However, I do not agree with the term "investment" in audiophile hobby. If that's where you start, you should primarily consider the secondhand value of your choice of equipment instead of audio performance or preferred sound signature.
Every hobby inexorably entails an economic investment, whether first-hand or second-hand.

Thank you for your answer.😉

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #309 of 877
As far as the track slider is concerned... it looks like the Cayin music app in which by touching the little icon (looks like a shirt) in the bottom left... cycles thru different interfaces... you can change it to a basic line slider

Thanks for the prompt assistance. :beerchug:

Adding a picture to make it easier for those who are not familiar with Cayin Music player. The T-Shirt icon on the bottom left corner of the album art will change the playback control UI to a different style.

1712585678873.png

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #310 of 877
Actually, first I was feeling such device should be really anachronistic in 2024 without being able to be a BT receiver or able to handle any Streaming services ... then, when I think how I am using my Quloos MUB1 these days.. stacked as simple DAC to my Galaxy Z Fold 5 (1Tb) with a short USB-C cable connected to my IER-Z1R .. I think, maybe it has some sense to test the N3Ultra as a first attempt to Vacuum "tube", though I am not sure I will really appreciate a higher distortion level, probably no pure blank background and less streo separation.

I wonder if N3Ultra hardware buttons are still active when it is used as simple DAC for Qobuz (skip/forward/play/pause) like MUB1's buttons are fully available and active in DAC mode with Z Fold 5 ? as it is an old limited version of android, I have some doubt about it with Cayin.

Once you connect the N3Ultra to USB DAC, the N3Ultra will function like an external sound card, the HOST device will be responsible for all the playback control, the DAP will decode like a SLAVE device, and you can't control the HOST from the hardware button of the SLAVE device.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #312 of 877
A newbie question: what is the best way to connect Cayin N3 Ultra with a speakers amp?
There are aftermarket cables that will convert the 4.4mm out to balanced dual XLR or 3.5mm out to dual single-ended RCA. If you’re going to be using it as a dedicated source/pre for a speaker amp, you’ll probably want to get a little stand for the N3U so that the DAP and cables are more stable and out of the way (less prone to getting knocked around). I was using a DAP as a digital desktop source for awhile and that was how I had it sorta organized amidst the mess.

The answer from PopZeus is spot on. :beerchug:

In case we have readers who are unfamiliar with the Line Out feature, I'll quote the following pages from N3Ultra product page on Cayin webpage to explain the connectivity of the N3Ultra DAP.

1712586112942.png

1712586147712.png

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #313 of 877
Hi @Andykong I get my N3Ultra today 😁 and I like it.

But one question about the music scanning. Is there a button or setting for me to scan music files of smaller size or shorter length? I could not find a song which last only lasts 50 second.

I just checked, looks like we can't include small music files (below 500KB or shorter than 60 seconds) in the music scan. I'll confirm this with the Engineer tomorrow. In the meantime, please check if you can playback the file from the Folder view. :pray:

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #314 of 877
Once you connect the N3Ultra to USB DAC, the N3Ultra will function like an external sound card, the HOST device will be responsible for all the playback control, the DAP will decode like a SLAVE device, and you can't control the HOST from the hardware button of the SLAVE device.

It's pity if the N3Ultra can't manage to do it, but as I am just doing this with the Quloos MUB1, set as a USB DAC (BT is even deactivated).. the hardware buttons of the MUB1 are still active to control my Smartphone (Samsung Z Fold 5 android 14) at least with Qobuz, Bubble Upnp & Neutron.. I have no idea if it's Z Fold 5 android 14 feature or due to Quloos software, but it's working fine with me... and, though I usually prefer to use a tiny Sony RMT-NWS20, it's rather convinient to be able to use the DAC hardware buttons when they are stacked together in my pocket to control the active smartphone music player.

NB (update) :
With this link I think it's an UAC 2.0 feature
https://wiki.geekworm.com/UAC

"full-speed protocol controller and an Active Front End (AFE) function for headset applications."

So maybe the question is to know if the N3Ultra has an UAC 2.0 controller fully activated ?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #315 of 877
I just checked, looks like we can't include small music files (below 500KB or shorter than 60 seconds) in the music scan. I'll confirm this with the Engineer tomorrow. In the meantime, please check if you can playback the file from the Folder view. :pray:
Yes under the folder view I could played my only two songs under 60 seconds.IMG_6823.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back