Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 19, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,427 of 6,262
The usb-c to coaxial cable, purchased from musiteck via Amazon.com to connect the n3 to my mojo is defective.  The signal is suddenly interrupted producing loud cracks that I’m afraid might damage my meze 99 drivers and my own hearing. I’m looking forward to seeing another short cable offer from cayin or another producer.

Sorry to hear that, so that's the cable I need to get. Or maybe a different brand.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,429 of 6,262
On a side note I took my screen protector off to see if conductivity would improve on the capacitive buttons- and it did a bit and the buttons work better but the screen appears plastic?

However it doesn't appear to scratch easy so I might leave it off.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #1,431 of 6,262
Yeah I wouldn't expect Gorilla Glass on the N3. Not for $150, it's probably why they shipped with screen protectors on.

Yea but every dap I've bought in the last couple of years have had screen protectors pre installed and they were all glass screens. Anyways I'm pretty easy on my stuff and this will only see indoor use mostly some I'm not worried about it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #1,432 of 6,262
I fully understand their fraud concerns but the problem for me is that i have a cc that is not tied to my bank or address. The account only shows my custombernumber and my spending limit. Even in a seperate section my personal information is partially scrambled due to privacy and security reasons. So i cannot screenshot the infomation (proof of address and last 4 digits of cc number) the shop needs. They do not accept a photo of the physical card which some shops do require.

It's the first time i have ordered online in which a shop needed this specific kind of check. Some shops do require you to input the mastercard secure code or and this case i also had to but it was still not enough.

I understand now. I have the same issues with my bank card. I can't use some websites as they require the secure code but it doesn't have one.
It's more common in the UK for those security features on independent websites. Debit cards also work on a different system in the UK.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #1,433 of 6,262
  Not the expected pairing for such dap, but these two complement each other amazingly.  My fist porta pros as well. 

Wow now that brings back memories, my first pair of headphones ever were Koss Port Pro's over 25 years ago.  They sounded great even back then and they came with a lifetime warranty from Koss. All I ever needed to do with them was replace the ear pads every few years.  Koss made them with the exact same design and components for 25 years.  I used them with my Sony A17 for several months and loved how they sounded together.  The cable finally shorted out and I had to retire them in 2015.  For under $100.00 you can't beat them for sound and portability.  

Heck I had them back when portable cassette players were the portable audio player of the time.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,434 of 6,262
The usb-c to coaxial cable, purchased from musiteck via Amazon.com to connect the n3 to my mojo is defective.  The signal is suddenly interrupted producing loud cracks that I’m afraid might damage my meze 99 drivers and my own hearing. I’m looking forward to seeing another short cable offer from cayin or another producer.

Musicteck is supposed to get the cayin cable today. The one I originally bought from them was defective as well and I have been waiting for the cayin.

I did buy a USB cable to connect my n3 to my lake people rs-06 in the meantime. Sounds a bit muddy and distant. I really do wonder what's going on with that signal.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #1,435 of 6,262
The gold porta pros look so much better imo, than the silver. Just out of curiosity how do the pros stack up against the meze 99 classics?

Well, not a fair comparison.  Apart from the obvious differences (sound stage and isolation) the classics show better upper frequencies and are more efficient.  I can enjoy this pairing but I think a less warm source and a bass taming amp fits the classics more.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,436 of 6,262
  Wow now that brings back memories, my first pair of headphones ever were Koss Port Pro's over 25 years ago.  They sounded great even back then and they came with a lifetime warranty from Koss. All I ever needed to do with them was replace the ear pads every few years.  Koss made them with the exact same design and components for 25 years.  I used them with my Sony A17 for several months and loved how they sounded together.  The cable finally shorted out and I had to retire them in 2015.  For under $100.00 you can't beat them for sound and portability.  

Heck I had them back when portable cassette players were the portable audio player of the time.  

I never thought porta pros’ sound could be this good considering the old design and the toyish looks.  So far. I’m loving them.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,437 of 6,262
Well, not a fair comparison.  Apart from the obvious differences (sound stage and isolation) the classics show better upper frequencies and are more efficient.  I can enjoy this pairing but I think a less warm source and a bass taming amp fits the classics more.

Thanks, I had a pair of porta pro's long ago, just couldn't remember how they sounded. I figured the 99's were leagues ahead but one never knows. I didn't expect the n3 to sound as good as it does for the price.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,438 of 6,262

Happy I just got my N3 today even because I was expecting it on Monday. I have upgraded the firmware and installed the driver on my PC (Win 10 Pro) without any problems. 
I haven't got the time to listen to it too much but the first impression was great although the bass wasn't as deep as I expected but probably some burn-in will set the sound.
I have listened to it only with my ATH-CKS990s via PC in USB-DAC mode but later today I will try with the SRT7 as well.
Sadly I have noticed it arrived with a very small dead pixel on the bottom centre of the screen but I can ignore that :)
One question: it is ok while in USB-DAC mode for the two left and right LEDs to flicker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back