Cayin iDAC-6 - Review tour (USA only for now), impressions, discussion
Apr 5, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #46 of 286
I stand corrected, and I have explained my mistake in the remark of previous post, sorry for the confusion caused.
beerchug.gif

All right, so:
XLR out equals tube output stage
RCA out equals tube and transistor output

correct?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #47 of 286
All right, so:

RCA out equals tube and transistor output

correct?

RCA out equals tube OR transistor output: you have to pick one out of two, you can't have TWO output at the same time. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #48 of 286
I have only used balanced with XLR cables and Transistor has always been the default option. Switching the Timbre button to Vacuum works, but I have preferred the sound of Transistor using Senn 650s. I am a little confused now and will have to reread everything for clarity. I was thinking that RCA would be best with the vacuum setting and was hoping to try that out once I get home.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #49 of 286
Just some eye candy to keep things interesting:

That's the Cayin stack fed by HiFiMAN HM901S in the Dock (coax SPDIF out), or alternately by a MacBook Air running Audirvana+ (USB). Driving the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma or the HE1000, both with nice balanced cables from Effect Audio. Sounds fantastic!

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #50 of 286
There are queries regarding the Filter option of the iDAC-6. It is a direct implementation of the digital filters from AK4490, AKM describe them as Sound Color Digital Filter (SCDF)
Focusing on the waveform in the time domain, the built-in 32-bit 8x digital filter controls the transient response of the signal. The 5 types of digital filters allow the music playback in a variety of sound quality settings by switching the filter type.

The diagram suggested the biggest different among the filters are Super Slow Roll-off vs Sharp roll-off, so if you want to experiment on the digital filter, start with this two filter settings, you should be able to tell which is the preferred setting and then you can further explore from there on. For example, if you prefer Super Slow Roll-off, you can compare it with Short delay Slow roll-off, the different should be relatively subtle by now.

In my experience with iDAC-6, I use Timber control to improve mix and match with headphone and use digital filter to enhance effect of different music genre. I am an album man and I normally listen to an album from start to end, so this approach work for me. If you won't bother the subtle different or prefer shuffle/random play regularly, I suggest you set the filter to Slow roll-off which is the middle of everything, this should give you peace of mind without significant different from other settings.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #52 of 286
Thanks for that, good info there. I end up using Slow Roll-Off most of the time with a variety of music and headphones. So that does seem like a good versatile choice.

Slow roll-off is indeed the safest bet as default setting, your ears has leaded you well. :darthsmile:

May 20, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #56 of 286
REVIEW UP

Didnt know how or where to list it. It is wayyy too freaking long. and I didn't even cover all of the filter options. Live and learn but I am done. Overall I really enjoy this No BS gear and found it really hard to fault objectively. 

May 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #57 of 286
REVIEW UP

Didnt know how or where to list it. It is wayyy too freaking long. and I didn't even cover all of the filter options. Live and learn but I am done. Overall I really enjoy this No BS gear and found it really hard to fault objectively. 

Many thanks for your detail review, I hope this will offer a good head up for those who are looking for DAC and Headphone at this price range.

Your choice of word are very pictorial, a very interesting read indeed. :beerchug:

May 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #58 of 286

REVIEW UP

Many thanks for your detail review, I hope this will offer a good head up for those who are looking for DAC and Headphone at this price range.

Your choice of word are very pictorial, a very interesting read indeed.
beerchug.gif

really wondering how the Cayin 1ha-mkII compares. That piece of gear is gorgeous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back