Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 11, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #6,376 of 6,476
I apologize. I mean RCA.

Yes. Vio 590 can supply a low voltage according to RCA, 2 or 2.5 volts (I can’t find the exact value in the manual). At the same time, hoarseness and overload when the volume reaches more than 3 hours is more pronounced when using Vio as a DAC.

This effect of hoarseness and overload is heard when using any DAC, but only when the impedance switch is in the “H” and “M” positions.
With the impedance switch set to "L", I do not hear any problems, regardless of the DAC used.

p.s.
The Vio 590 can work as a DAC (without using an amplification circuit).
I purchased 1266 and DСA 2 years ago, i.e. before the amplifier. I have only heard this feature of the amplifier’s sound with these headphones for the last few months.
I also listen to these headphones with other amplifiers, they are indicated in my signature. The sound of the headphones on other amplifiers has not changed over the past year (i.e. the problem is not in the headphones).

While I can think of several possibilities to explain or test regarding your distortion problem after you crank up the volume to 3 pm, none of them can explain why it was OK in the past and the distortion shows up suddenly, especially when you have assured that nothing has changed in between except for rolling the 6SN7, and the problem remains unchanged after you put back the stock 6SN7. This is abnormal so I'll suggest you contact your dealer for assistance, maybe sending the HA-300 to their shop for on-site inspection if the dealer is within driving distance.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 11, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #6,377 of 6,476
Have i understood correctly, in order to use off the back of speaker outs, you need a seperate and additional Pre amp? Otherwise its full ouput i believe? I thought i read something about no preamp in speaker out circuit. So no running headphones off the back without additional boxes.
I never heard of headphone amp with no volume control, the HA-300 is not an exclusion. It’s an integrated (pre+power) amplifier for headphones and speakers.
It’s all because you never used speakers :)
It reminds me those scary sea legends from Phoenicians to prevent others from exploring the sea.
Please don’t believe in tales.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #6,378 of 6,476
I never heard of headphone amp with no volume control, the HA-300 is not an exclusion. It’s an integrated (pre+power) amplifier for headphones and speakers.
It’s all because you never used speakers :)
It reminds me those scary sea legends from Phoenicians to prevent others from exploring the sea.
Please don’t believe in tales.
I dont know where i got that from .. i remember seeing a flow diagram for what i thought was this amp and i thought speaker outs were bot part of the preamp circuit... must be an age thing .. sorry. I cant even find the diagram now!

May 11, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #6,379 of 6,476
I dont know where i got that from .. i remember seeing a flow diagram for what i thought was this amp and i thought speaker outs were bot part of the preamp circuit... must be an age thing .. sorry. I cant even find the diagram now!
This is what i was trying to find ... gave me the impression that speaker outs jumped the potentiometer. I remember reading a post about it before ...

Attachments

• cayin.jpg
    cayin.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
May 11, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #6,381 of 6,476
This is what i was trying to find ... gave me the impression that speaker outs jumped the potentiometer. I remember reading a post about it before ...
If that's the actual signal flow, the headphone output will also bypass the potentiometer.

The flows with three arrowheads are signal control circuit. To follow the audio signal, follow the regular single arrowhead path.

1715433768342.png

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 11, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #6,383 of 6,476
If that's the actual signal flow, the headphone output will also bypass the potentiometer.

The flows with three arrowheads are signal control circuit. To follow the audio signal, follow the regular single arrowhead path.

1715433768342.png
One feature that would have been nice would have been to be able to adjust the negative feedback, which is very easy to implement.

May 11, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #6,384 of 6,476
I just tried some RCAs in 6sn7g7b tall boy position and it was warmer thicker sound but lost a lot of detail vs the sylvania chrome tops. The RCA plate construction seems to resemble the tungsol. Sylvania is definitely my preference. I tried 2 different types of sylvanias and there is an incredible clarity, realism and exceptional imaging focus that the RCA and tung sol don't have.

Some Cayin vs DNA thoughts
'cayin with sylvania is leagues above stratus even with GE rectifier that RD gave me
i think its time for 2a3 roll to see if stratus can catch up
i dont know
the gap right now is pretty big
not sure if stratus can catch up'

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #6,385 of 6,476
I just tried some RCAs in 6sn7g7b tall boy position and it was warmer thicker sound but lost a lot of detail vs the sylvania chrome tops. The RCA plate construction seems to resemble the tungsol. Sylvania is definitely my preference. I tried 2 different types of sylvanias and there is an incredible clarity, realism and exceptional imaging focus that the RCA and tung sol don't have.

Some Cayin vs DNA thoughts
'cayin with sylvania is leagues above stratus even with GE rectifier that RD gave me
i think its time for 2a3 roll to see if stratus can catch up
i dont know
the gap right now is pretty big
not sure if stratus can catch up'
Try JJ and ACME 2A3. Can Stratus use 274B recto?

May 12, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #6,386 of 6,476
I think you’ll find a properly-tuned (to you) Stratus is in the same league as the Cayin, just different. It’s more elegant and graceful, less thick and slammy. Someone in the Stratus thread said the Stratus was above the Cayin and I disagree with that, too. Both amazing, but different.

May 12, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #6,387 of 6,476
Try JJ and ACME 2A3. Can Stratus use 274B recto?

Not sure.

Ya I'll look into acme. I keep getting that rec'd over and over.

May 12, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #6,388 of 6,476
I think you’ll find a properly-tuned (to you) Stratus is in the same league as the Cayin, just different. It’s more elegant and graceful, less thick and slammy. Someone in the Stratus thread said the Stratus was above the Cayin and I disagree with that, too. Both amazing, but different.

I wonder if you can push Cayin above stratus with Jamato's duelund cap roll.

May 13, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #6,389 of 6,476
Just listed some stuff in the classifieds.

- Mullard Red (VR135) and White (CV6) Prints quads priced to sell.

- SR Master fuse for US mk2 Power Supply, priced at more than half off.

- CV6 - 6SN7 adapters made by Deyan, that are the best you can get.

I just wanted to give y'all a heads up first.

Cheers and happy listening!

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #6,390 of 6,476
Just listed some stuff in the classifieds.

- Mullard Red (VR135) and White (CV6) Prints quads priced to sell.

- SR Master fuse for US mk2 Power Supply, priced at more than half off.

- CV6 - 6SN7 adapters made by Deyan, that are the best you can get.

I just wanted to give y'all a heads up first.

Cheers and happy listening!
does this mark the end? it seems like yesterday when i was reading all your impressions of your various tube combos... its sad to see a legend go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back