Cayin CS-100DAC - massive new DAC with selectable tube output stage
Oct 10, 2022 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
PXL_20221010_001511296.PORTRAIT.jpg

No info about this beast on the forums as far as I can tell, so I'm starting a new thread. I had seen this thing in a few show reports where it looked like Cayin was pairing it with their beautiful HA-300 tube amplifier, but information was scarce and promotion nonexistent. I later learned that this is due to Cayin separating their "personal audio" gear from their bigger 2-channel oriented stuff, but I contend this DAC is very much on target for many HeadFi users. I filed it away under "interesting stuff" and moved on.

Later I noticed Zach at ZMF was A) now a Cayin dealer, and B) a big fan of the CS-100DAC. That plus the price of $3,399 made me extremely interested - I had expected a significantly higher price, and I definitely trust Zach's ears. Now that I've got the device here in my audio rack, I figure it's time to start a thread.

PXL_20221010_001629277.PORTRAIT.jpg

The Cayin CS-100DAC is a massive thing, at a "full sized" 17+ inch width, nearly 16 inch depth, and roughly 5 inches tall. It weighs over 26 pounds and is meticulously built. The front panel features an AMOLED display using the same Hiby-designed UI as Cayin's smaller iDAC-6 mk2. Looks are obviously subjective but I find it quite striking with the angular theme and little touches like the button shapes and top panel accents.

Inside, the CS-100DAC is based around dual ES9038Pro chips encased in large heatsinks for isolation and thermal control. It's a fully balanced symmetrical design with two big custom-wound shielded toroidal transformers (Cayin does all their own transformers in-house). Clocking comes from dual Accusilicon pieces, and there are separate signal paths/outputs for line-out and the (17Vrms capable!) pre-amp outputs. The Output stage is perhaps the most interesting aspect here as it lets users switch between tube or solid-state mode - Cayin refers to this as "dual timbre" in their marketing literature. Tube mode uses a quad of long-life 6922 tubes for both single ended and balanced outputs. SS mode is actually different depending on which connector is used, with RCA being driven by OPA228P and XLR using the Muses02 chips. This means there is likely to be somewhat different flavors of sound depending on which output and timbre mode. Factor in the usual selectable digital filters, and you can imagine how versatile this device is.

PXL_20221010_010932451.PORTRAIT.jpg

I just barely got the thing installed in my system and have only had a short time to listen. Certainly not long enough to make any sonic proclamations other than I like what I hear so far. I've paired it with the Cayin HA-6A tube amplifier as well as the Niimbus US4+ and will keep trying other amps as time allows. So far I've been feeding it via USB using the Stack Audio Link II with the matching Volt PSU, but I'd also like to swap in the Cayin iDAP-6 at some point - I'm sure they pair well together, and the I2S (via HMDI) connection is guaranteed to be compatible between them. I believe Cayin is working on a big flagship transport to match the CS-100DAC, but for now the iDAP-6 will do just fine.

PXL_20221010_001445285.PORTRAIT.jpg

Further info to come as I log more hours with the device.

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 29
Very curious about this DAC! Looking forward to future impressions. :)

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 29
Spent some time today listening to LCD-5 with the CS-100DAC and HA-6A. What a combo! I was so wrapped up in the music that I neglected to snap a pic. Maybe tomorrow when I get a chance.

This DAC is just so expressive and dynamic. Just the thing to help liven up a slightly boring amp and/or headphone. But headphones that are already fun (Campfire Cascade, for example) sound great too. I'm experimenting with the SS output rather than tubes and that seems to be a slightly more straight forward presentation that works better with the Cascade.

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 29
Thanks for all your efforts with these impressions. I am actually in the market for a DAC in this price point.

Would be interesting to see how it compares with a more expensive but a 'staple' product Chord TT2 or a product below the segment like a topping D90.

Also interested the recommended use cases for tube and SS stages

Looking forward to your full review 😊

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 29
Thanks!

I haven't had much time to post or snag more pics lately, but I have done a decent amount of listening with the CS-100DAC and am continually impressed. It's of course an excellent pairing with the Cayin HA-6A but I've also been using it with the Niimbus US4+, Pass Labs HPA-1, Cayin HA-1A mk2, and a few others. Despite these amps all having very different signatures and strengths/weaknesses, the CS-100DAC does a great job with all of them.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 29
Back for more about this wonderful DAC. Have some pics of the innards, care of Cayin themselves. First up is the total view:

1667950215694.png

Note those dual shielded transformers on the left - they don't necessarily look all that big, but that's only because the total size of the DAC is so massive. Also take a moment to appreciate the custom shielding over the dual-mono ES9038Pro chips (that'd be the big silver rectangles with "Cayin" written on each).

1667950256697.png

Dual Accusilicon femto clocks placed right next to the (shielded) DAC chips themselves.

1667950281245.png

Here we see the DAC chip covers again, plus the output stage with the 6922 tubes. When using solid-state mode, the opamps are OPA228P for single-ended and Muses02 for balanced output. So there is a bit of different flavor when using SS out depending on which connection is used. I tend to like tube output the best but SS balanced out is excellent in its own way.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 29
PXL_20221030_045541442.jpg

Looking and sounding great with LCD-5!
Sorry. Perhaps not quite in line with the theme. I see the CenGrand stack on the right in the photo. Are you planning to create a new topic on this equipment and share your impressions of using the stack? Thanks for the reply.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 29
Wow, good eye there! Yes I will be starting threads on the Cen.Grand Silver Fox headphone amp as well as the DSDAC1.0 Deluxe as soon as I get a moment. And eventually will have full reviews for both.

The Cen.Grand DAC is my new reference, it is absolutely superb... but at half the price I am extremely impressed with the Cayin CS-100DAC. The Cayin DAC paired with the Silver Fox headphone amp is also a killer combo with gobs of synergy.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 29
Got some more listening time in with the CS-100DAC over the holidays. I swapped in the Cayin iDAP-6 transport which pairs beautifully despite their somewhat mismatched sizing. Will have to grab a picture when I get a moment as this really makes for a killer combo that punches way above its price range and looks the part as well.

Used it most with my hot rod KGSSHV driving the Audeze CRBN and the results were stunning!

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #13 of 29
I think, this is the most underrated high end DAC in this forum!

For few of reasons of course:
- Cayin's name is famous for their tube amplifier, not digital or DAC products
- Pricing is not too cheap or expensive, market is so saturated in this price range
- Using sabre es9038pro instead of the latest chip/R2R/In House design. I'm not talking about quality, but more about marketing strategy.

For sound impression, to put it short, CS100 is simply the best DAC under $5000 period!

I like tube more than SS output. The character overall is balance with slight warm vocal, sweet and natural tone, smooth sparkle treble that retain enough energy and bite, with punchy bass that make overall presentation become fun and engaging.

Soundstage is the best part of this DAC for me, CS100 throw larger soundstage, from width, depth, and height, even more spacious than something like Rockna Wavelight. Rockna itself produce big soundstage, that beat typical Chord DACs, and Mola Mola Tambaqui. With $3.4k this is truly an impressive achievement. Imaging quality also perform nicely, even with this big soundstage.

Wavelight still win in term of density of each notes, smoother and more fluid presentation with better texture and detail. The differences are not that far though. Cayin perform sweeter tone, harder punch on low frequency, with bigger image.

People really need to try this DAC with ears! (Hint: No, this DAC is not typical chi-fi Sabre ES9038PRO DAC, very very far better from Topping/SMSL DAC in sound).

Also, the build quality is great. I got surprised with the size though, it could "toy" the Wavelight.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 29
It would be great to hear more details on cengrand vs Cayin difference?
about Cayin… is there big difference between ss and tube outputs?
Is line output has dual (ss/tube) modes only?

The Cayin DAC is pretty different in each mode.

SS mode is very neutral, clean, clear, great detail and superb resolution. Just an excellent "reference" sounding DAC without the usual flaws like feeling thin or obnoxiously bright. If this was the only sound available I'd still call this a very nice DAC for the money - it's that good.

But we also get tube mode which is a whole different animal. It's more relaxed and forgiving, a bit warmer/thicker in the midrange, greater soundstage depth/layering, and warmer low-end with a bit softer/more romantic impact. It's very enjoyable, easy to love, plays well with most music and associated gear.

Note sure what your last line is asking about... line out and preamp out have separate output sections, with RCA and XLR each, and both can be used in either tube or SS modes. So lots of versatility there.

As for comparison with the Cen.Grand, I'd say the DSDAC1.0 seems to combine the best traits of both modes into a single device. Which could be better or worse depending on what you are after. For example, if you are specifically looking for a crisp, fast, somewhat analytical sound, the Cayin in SS mode may be the better fit. Because while the Cen.Grand has can definitely match the level of detail and resolution, it is inherently smooth as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back