Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #166 of 2,966
That's what I found with my HE-1000.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #167 of 2,966
Just picked up mine this evening from Fedex.  Is the amp supposed to come with any accessories like power cable and warranty?  Mine just had the amp and a card with link to the online manual.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #168 of 2,966
Just picked up mine this evening from Fedex.  Is the amp supposed to come with any accessories like power cable and warranty?  Mine just had the amp and a card with link to the online manual.

The LC just comes with a congratulatory card with the online manual link.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #169 of 2,966
Nov 22, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #171 of 2,966
  Right most light is white for balanced and red for SE correct?  My XLR output has only sound when the light is red.

That is an input switch. All outputs are live.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #172 of 2,966
Listening to the LC with both hd800 and Hd598 headphones, balanced is louder. But when plugged in single ended with either headphones, you just have to bump it up a notch to make up the volume. I forget what the rule is, but twice as much wattage does not make for twice the volume. Single ended I still can't get the LC much up past 11 o'clock or so. My Emotiva is running balanced into the LC with the DAC volume at 0.00.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #173 of 2,966
Well I must say I'm rather disappointed. While I'm waiting for my balanced cable for my Sony MDR Z7, I'm forced to use the SE output for now and all of my HP's exhibit moderate to severe clipping.Yes that is the signal clips not the HP distort on it's own. The Philips Fidelio X2 is the worst among them, yet it is one of the easiest to drive. It is connected to my Parasound ZDAC via xlr balanced, and SE RCA as well. No matter what combination of method or gain setting I choose the problem persists.I tried my trusty Ifi Ican amp side by side connected to the same DAC in real time and there was no clipping there even at max volume, so the problem is clearly with the LC. The unit has been plugged in for several days now, and has at least 10hrs of active listening and dozens more just for breaking in purposes. You can see the unit in my new avatar picture along with the ZDAC and the Ifi Ican.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #174 of 2,966
Contact Alex...

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #175 of 2,966
I listened to Ethers and my former HE560 out of the SE outs at one of the Nashville Meets. No clipping, sounded fantastic, I purchased one.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #176 of 2,966
Definitely sounds like a 1-or-2 defect minor issue - I had no issues with the demo, listening to both 1/4" phono and 4-pin XLR, while it was at home.

I'll be through my 50 hours of burn-in tonight, and will be trying the 1/4" phono on my same HD650. I too have a nice upgraded single-ended "Smurf" cable for the HD650, so am looking forward to this!

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #177 of 2,966
  Well I must say I'm rather disappointed. While I'm waiting for my balanced cable for my Sony MDR Z7, I'm forced to use the SE output for now and all of my HP's exhibit moderate to severe clipping.Yes that is the signal clips not the HP distort on it's own. The Philips Fidelio X2 is the worst among them, yet it is one of the easiest to drive. It is connected to my Parasound ZDAC via xlr balanced, and SE RCA as well. No matter what combination of method or gain setting I choose the problem persists.I tried my trusty Ifi Ican amp side by side connected to the same DAC in real time and there was no clipping there even at max volume, so the problem is clearly with the LC. The unit has been plugged in for several days now, and has at least 10hrs of active listening and dozens more just for breaking in purposes. You can see the unit in my new avatar picture along with the ZDAC and the Ifi Ican.

Yes, please contact me. This sounds like a problem. Unfortunately, no amount of break in will fix it. We will take care of it.

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #178 of 2,966

48hrs burn in SQ test and listening session on my LC serial 102

Setup 1 to 3 - using 1/4 plug
Setup 4 - using 4pin balance xlr

Test track
Alison Krauss - I Will (DSD)

Headphone : Audeze LCD 2.2 non Fazor

Cables used :
- Norne Solv X Audeze to MrSpeakers adapter
- VanDelHul D300 coax cable
- custom Mr Speakers Alphadog cables ( Canare )
- generic RCA
- generic power cable

Setup 1 : Ibasso DX90 (2.1.8 Lurker fw) connected to Liquid Carbon via 3.5mm copper interconnect.

Highs : definitely lacks resolution and extension ( this is based on me used to using dx90 + Hugo)
Mids / vocals : its ok. Has a little relaxed and has good body
Lows : Good weight

Setup 2 : Ibasso DX90 + Hugo via VanDelHul D300 coax.

Highs : More detail and extensions present
Mids / vocals : smoother mids, very good defined , very good attack and weight
Lows : Good extension, control and attack. Good weight

Setup 3 : Ibasso DX90 connected to Chord Hugo via VanDelHul D300 coax. Hugo connected to the Liquid Carbon via generic RCA.

Highs : retains the details of setup 2 but the extension is smoother...for this track setup 2 had a more sharper feel to it in the cymbals, this setup smoothens everything and makes it more pleasant to listen to...a more relaxed feeling
Mids / vocals : guitar plucks had more definition and weight compared to setup 2, vocals are better as well...really smooth and relaxed, drums have more definition and weight
Lows : almost the same as setup 2 slight increase in the weight

Setup 4 : same as set 3 except I used the balance xlr connection

I would say SQ wise is definitely the same as setup 3 with better imaging and focus for the instruments. Soundstage i think increased to a small degree

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #180 of 2,966
  So is using the LC amp with the dac section of the Pulse infinity a good combo? Already own the Pulse infinity and thinking about adding a LC.

I'm still in burn-in mode with my LC but have it connected by XLR cables to my Pulse Infinity. Like it very much so far with my LCD-3's. Will post more thoughts later in comparing it with the HP output of the Pulse by itself. Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back