Castle in the Sky DVD
Apr 26, 2003 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
I finally bought it today. It's released in US along with "Spirited Away" and "Kiki". In the store, both "Spirited Away" and "Kiki" were almost sold out (total 3 left), but there was a pile of "Castle in the Sky" left untouched. What a pity! It's my favorite Miyazaki movie, I must have watched it over 30 times when I had the LD. The English track has the soundtrack completely redone, and there's a lot more music in it than the original Japanese track.

Since "Laputa" is taken out from the title, I was worried that Disney would censored the name "Laputa" in the movie. To my surprise, not only the original Japanese track was kept, even the English track uses the name "Laputa". There's no spanish track, otherwise I'd wonder if they'd rename it to something else.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, Miyazaki's fan, don't forget to pick up a copy!
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
nice, I'll think about it
smily_headphones1.gif
but my favorite is still Nausicaa.

I can't get the Nausicaa manga out of my mind when watching the movie, so I'm less impressed with it. After all, no Nausicaa DVD just yet.
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
How good is the picture quality? DTS? I've got the R3 version but I would like an english track to this.

The picture quality is what I'd expect from a 1986 anime
wink.gif
I think it's quite adequate.

Sorry, no DTS. Only Dolby Digital on the English track, and stereo on the original Japanese track.

Apr 26, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I picked up all three of the disney releases. The Laputa quality isn't too shabby actually, best I've seen for this movie next to the LD/VCD versions and a heck lot better than those VHS and realmedia fansubs
redface.gif
. Still one of my favorites. Hope they get Nausicca and Porco Rosso on DVD now too (and a re-release of Totoro with a different box design)..

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I went & saw Spirited Away when they re-released it after the Oscars. Fantastic! Absolutely going to buy the dvd. I just bought 6 of the Zatoichi films on dvd for $14 a piece Friday. Big surprise, mmm....?

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Castle in the Sky is definitely worth the viewing! As are all of Miyazaki's films.

I get the feeling that most of you have not seen Castle of Cagliostro yet.

Get with the program and see all the Miyazaki films you can find. He's the Spielberg of anime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back