Casework: Share Your DIY Enclosures
Aug 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #361 of 400
That's mighty fine work, Sathimas. I really dig the brushed metal/lacquered wood combination. The woodwork looks very clean and professional.

For your LEDs - are you using clear or opaque? I use opaque LEDs and they work very well, although I use 3 behind a ~1" disc to light it evenly.

+++
I finally had a chance to take some time off from work and do some casework - here's where my Bijou case is currently at (shown with some hardware on the top plate). It's made of Home Depot grade hardwood, primed with grey Krylon primer and painted with Krylon cherry red topcoat. I have not done any sanding or polishing and it looks like I may not need to.

The top plate is hand-polished aluminum.

Wkd003-1.jpg

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #362 of 400
I am using clear LEDs at the moment.
Maybe I'll change them soon, I already drilled a second hole on both of the two knobs.
(Bottom left side, right diagonal to the LED you see now.)
It looks better with two LEDs but the direct light is still too bright.

I also have to change the LED resitor for the input indicator LEDs, they're way too bright.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #363 of 400
@ zkool448 , really love the builds, they look fantastic! My only comment is that you spent all that time creating them perfectly out of natural wood, but then you paint them up, why? If it were me i would leave them natural looking like you have on the Soha2, especially if i could get a finish like you acchieve! The wood just looks so clean and classy. My favourite is your soha 2. Great work.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #364 of 400
Very nice builds sathimas & moodysteve, luv it!

sathimas, the top vent holes is very, very original. moodysteve, you really stuck with your original CAD design. Looking forward to the final product. I hope you guys won't mind if I steal some of your ideas
biggrin.gif

fault151, thanks
smile.gif
I'm definitely pleased how the soha ii turned out. I finished the "real" wood cases with natural or stained finished (mssh, cth, and soha ii) but painted the ones made with mdf (mssh build 2, bijou) to looked finished -- see page 1 of this thread to see what they looked like before I applied finish to them. cheers!

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #365 of 400
Can't believe that this thread is diying so soon
frown.gif

I've recased an old Millet Max with a new case made of ipe wood, aluminium and methacrylate, hope you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

MilletMaxResample.jpg

MilletMaxBackResample.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

Also did a matching stand:

MilletMaxAndStandResample.jpg

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #368 of 400
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #369 of 400
Alcaudon - Very very cool design! Nice woodwork and interesting way of making the ventilation look attractive. Care to share some more?

fishki13 - Excellent job and great aesthetics! It's a perfectly balanced combination of finished wood and metal. A keeper for sure!
wink.gif

I accidentally converted a blind hole in my Bijou plate to a through hole so I had the hole welded shut and my friend is going to fly-cut the top again on an endmill to eliminate the weld marks. Which means I get to polish the plate to a mirror finish again. Hooray! I expect to be sharing some pics of the finished Bijou by the end of the year.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #370 of 400
Al you finally got that done! Way better than I expected and the stand OMG I still want one!

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #371 of 400
Many thanks guys!!!! I'm glad you like it
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alcaudon - Very very cool design! Nice woodwork and interesting way of making the ventilation look attractive. Care to share some more?

My father has an aluminium workshop, so I have access to all the aluminium I need and to professional tools. The ventilation grilles are made out of a cutoff of a rivet (not sure if the word is correct, had to look it down. I mean a profile used to hold glasses in place in windows and doors) that had a nice curvature. I just glued the pieces directly to the wood and covered the inside with a mesh to prevent dust from falling inside. Here's a picture of the inside:

MilletMaxInsideResample.jpg

You can see a part of the inside of the top at the left.

Is this what you meant MoodySteve? I can take a picture of any detail that you want to see with more detail
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #372 of 400
That's very slick~ Nice work
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #373 of 400
Apologize for the cross post but I thought this would be appropriate for this thread as well:

Twisted Pear Buffalo 32S:

4094946930_7bce8f8700_b.jpg

4094190143_c0af68cb50_b.jpg

1. toslink, USB, and coax inputs
2. k1000, XLR, RCA, and TRS output
3. e24 on/off circuit
4. dual mono power supply

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #374 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcaudon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't believe that this thread is diying so soon
frown.gif

I've recased an old Millet Max with a new case made of ipe wood, aluminium and methacrylate, hope you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

MilletMaxResample.jpg

MilletMaxBackResample.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

Also did a matching stand:

MilletMaxAndStandResample.jpg

how is the feng shui in that room? =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back